Changing hosting sites for low performing articles

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I am wondering if these different sites that host articles (like hub pages, squido, xomba, triond, etc.) are better for certain types of writing and other sites for other writing types. If one were to write something here and it does not preform well maybe it would be better hosted on a different site, and vise versa for stuff that does not rate well there. What do you guys think? Would you take down an article here and re-post it on a different site?

1. relache profile image74
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't tend to take things down and move them, but as a writer who creates content for multiple sites, I have to agree that each does best with certain topics and different styles of writing.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm

i have been considering squidoo... those lenses intrigue me.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Look at rewriting the work before you consider that or open it up to some of the more senior hubbers to critique. I'm a Fan smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey Pearldiver, you're over 90 big_smile

kirsten, I was reading this hub yesterday by sunforged, it has some good info about other sites.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Writing-for-mon … nt-revenue

I wouldn't be too quick about taking something down, but others have more experience on this subject. smile

3. kirstenblog profile image78

PearlDiver thanks for the response, this was a thought I had recently when at work (I have the sort of job that allows lots of time to think and daydream lol). I know my writing has been a bit all over the place... when I found this site I went a bit nuts lol. I am thinking of calling this site hubcrack as I am addicted! I have signed up with a few other similar sites but have not done much with them for some reason. I am trying to learn all I can on how to write hubs that will be enjoyed, draw traffic and ultimately earn money! I do know I can do this as I have earned £2.26 over the 3 months and most of it was just recently earned. I did wonder if my works that were done without much thought to how it would preform might be better suited to other models meaning that what is here is the cream, what has shown good performance.

4. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Sunforged article is great!

I also write for Info Barrel, the link is on my profile page.  Make sure you read their FAQ and understand that they do review your article prior to submission and may make changes to your article.  They have not changed anything I've submitted.  75% adsense payout.

I finding that writing for several sites has actually been great for me, it helps me create more.  I do wish I was better at doing re-writes, as sunforged mentions in his article.

1. broussardleslie profile image76
      broussardleslieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I signed up fpr shetoldme.com. Thanks, Jane!

1. Jane@CM profile image60
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awesome,you are welcome! Make sure you use it for every article your write smile

5. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Thanks a lot for the nod to that article smile , I hope it was helpful, as that was the intention.

I dont suggest pulling an already published article, its already indexed by google, and many sites wont accept it as it will come up as being duplicate....unless you wait quite a while for google to notice its gone - and depending on how they check for duplicates - it can take quite along time.

So I would always suggest either doing rewrites or even better have a plan of action when you are initially writing the articles in the first place.

Some sites will pay by pageviews - so if you write an article about a recent trend, something in the news or politics or a pop culture reference, it might be best to publish under that model (ac,examiner)

because advertisers arent paying much per click and arent coming to your writing with a question in mind

Every site you refernced as alternatives are just poorer paying,less ranking equivalents of hubpages - dont use any of those in the stead of hubs, hubs is giving a better deal (Impression share model)

Sometimes it might just be better to write for an existing need and get paid upfront w/ no future potential (DS,CC, freelance)

I usually try to get paid upfront and then work out rewrites for the major alternatives

As for SheToldMe - since I specifically called out James about his traffic sources, i feel bad saying this (he did correct the issue very quickly and professionally, so much so I am know a paying advertiser on that site!)

Thats a very new social bookmarking page, with the novelty of suggesting you may get some adsense clicks via the bookmarks

To do social bookmarking right, you need to make sure the site is dofollow and  a huge traffic potential doesnt hurt

It also takes time to social bookmark - so thats why I really highly suggest you check this out

http://www.caroline-middlebrook.com/blo … ing-sites/

Thats how you do social bookmarking right - a list of dofollow links (for example Digg is not dofollow, so you shouldnt wste your time!)

and it shows you a free service that will submit your link to tons of places quickly (http://www.socialmarker.com/ )

Thats a very powerful tool - almost dont want to share it - i hope your not chasing teh same keywords as me!  smile

1. broussardleslie profile image76
      broussardleslieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are always VERY helpful, Sunforged. I appreciate your willingness to share so much information. Thank you!

2. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This was great sunforged! I think you hit on my first mistake, having a plan of action before writing! My first writings were not researched or anything, just a result of my exploding brain having found such a great site. I have tried to write to keywords but have chosen badly, good cpc but low traffic and lots of competition or bad cpc better traffic and low conversions, that sort of thing. It is definitely an art, finding good keywords to write to. I think you have given me a little bit of homework actually, gotta learn more about dofollow and nofollow links and how to spot good dofollow ones!

6. deartfuldodger profile image60
    deartfuldodgerposted 14 years ago

anybody have any ideas on what the best freelance sites are?

seems hard to compete with the established writers on teh sites ive found

7. kirstenblog profile image78

I tried the site http://www.socialmarker.com for one of my articles and it came up with a message saying "This domain has been banned for the following reason: "This domain has been banned for spam content." Is that my article or hubpages.com?

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I signed up and tried to submit on Propeller and I got that warning.  I believe it means hubpages.  Anyone else use socialmarker?

2. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats referring to the domain "hubpages.com" being banned from one of the bookmarking services - just click to the next option

If you make it all the way through (as you most likely dont have accounts with all or most of those service and will probably get bored with signing up for them all) share the list of which social bookmarking sites will no longer accept hubpages urls.

It took me 3 or 4 sessions to sign up for all the services and I use a formfiller plug-in

8. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Hubpages has likely been banned from many social bookmarking sites, socialmarker only submits to them, simply click the next arrow and try the next service

Its best to use different user names for your social bookmarking and promotion accounts than your username here , otherwise its a little obvious that its self promotion

NoFollow = means a link wont pass pagerank in google, its still a valid backlink for other search engines

If you are actively searching for dofollow links, than use the firefox plug-in  SEO for firefox - it will highlight nofollow links in red - this is used a lot to find forums and comment boxes that are dofollow

9. Jane@CM profile image60

The one thing I like about hubpages over all the other sites is that it is (IMO) the easiest format for submitting.  Many of the other sites have me jumping through hoops to get my article submitted.  I don't like the Squidoo Lens format, enough so that I won't go there.  Info Barrel has one minor pain, I write all of my text in MS Word & then copy & paste, at Info Barrel, it does not support Firefox for some reason for copy/paste, so I have to use IE.  I hate IE smile

sunforged, can I have a lesson in re-writing?  My articles are generally formed in my head prior to writing and I get stuck there.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If there's a problem with the Word formatting you can copy and paste into Notepad, and then copy it again in there and try pasting it.

2. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lesson in rewriting ? I will think on how I could inspire that type of thinking.

I also "work from head" in contrast to rewriting an article that I have wrote while looking at it. Ill think deeper on it, but my first thought is give yourself slightly different topic/thesis questions.

For example, you were to rewrite this hub concept

http://hubpages.com/hub/Unemployment-Unemployed

Pretending that your original thought was:

What is Unemployment

Rewrite the same content but with the themes:

Unemployment: Selecting an outplacement company
      Unemployment: What not to do when searching for a new job
      Unemployment: How to support your spouse emotionally

Just some quick examples and all concepts you already covered, subtly changing the question in mind allows me to quickly rework a topic i have knowledge in while still creating unique contact quickly

i will try and figure out a stronger illustration, but inspiration is a difficult concept

10. Jane@CM profile image60

This is too funny.  I've covered those topics in my blog!  Thank you, I will look deeper - great ideas smile  Thanks so much!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)