jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What is the benefit of having more than 1 account on Hubpages?

1. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

What is the benefit of having more than 1 account on Hubpages?

2. rclinton5280 profile image76
    rclinton5280posted 6 years ago

The only real benefit that I can see is having a cover to hide behind when writing bullsh*t. There are a at least a few writers online who use anonymous second accounts to write things that they do not want to be recognized for writing. I read one hub where the guy/gal was completely full of crap, and was using their pseudonym to hide behind.

3. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 6 years ago

One benefit is to separate genres.  For instance, I have one account for apologetics, another for ministry to those of like faith.  The first generates debate and arguments moreso than the second.  So, if you have a hobby (i.e. photography), you could have an account that has multiple hubs on that subject.  Then, if you want to write on religious topics, you may want a second account for those hubs.  This encourages readers with the interest in each genre to read more and more of your hubs during their visit.

4. iviskei profile image74
    iviskeiposted 6 years ago

I think it would be good to help seperate different genres. But I'm pretty sure you can't have more than one account unless you had another paypal.

5. JamaGenee profile image84
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

The only real benefit I know of is if you have two distinct writing styles or genres and want to keep your audiences separate.   

That said, some hubbers open second accounts for the reason rclinton5280 mentioned - to have a cover to hide behind when writing B.S.  However, unless you can write in a *totally* different voice, this only works for a little while.  Otherwise followers of your original account will recognize your style, and then what's the point?

Last on the list are hubbers who open a second account for the sole purpose of spamming and slamming other hubbers in the forums. Such accounts are called "sock puppets" and usually detected early on (and even banned) because the perp doesn't bother to write any hubs under that account.

I DO have two distinct writing styles and genres, so I have an account at HP for one and a blog for the other.  Totally different group of followers that way, and *I* don't get confused about who I'm writing for! ;D

6. Rosie writes profile image84
    Rosie writesposted 6 years ago

I think it might be helpful to writers who have one account with only recipes, poems, or something like book or movie reviews - someone who has a huge quantity of hubs in those areas. Their other account might be simply articles about various topics.

7. VendettaVixen profile image69
    VendettaVixenposted 6 years ago

I only have this one account, myself, but as far as I can see, the main advantage to having multiple ones is keeping your audiences separate.

For example, you might enjoy writing DIY hubs, and observational comedy pieces. Your DIY audience might not be interested in comedy, so they have the choice of just following your hubs on handywork, and vice-versa.

They can always follow both of your accounts if they want to.

8. awordlover profile image82
    awordloverposted 6 years ago

I thought about having two accounts...one for medical and one for creative writing. But with HP, I found I didn't need it bec of the way the categories are set up.  If one uses HP as a search engine (as I outlined in one of my hubs), one can literally find hundreds of thousands of entries of all subjects. So I'm good the way I am. :-)

9. Sethareal profile image77
    Setharealposted 6 years ago

Let's say someone is a high school teacher and wants their students to read hubs they have written that directly pertain to the content covered in class. It would be nice to have another account so that the students cannot read your other opinions and parents do not accuse you of indoctrination.

10. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

I know one person that writes stories and poems and also writes reviews of products. He writes them on separate hub accounts. That keeps his private things away from his business hubs. People can follow him on both but if he is applying for a job where they would like to see his business type writing, he can just give them the business account.

11. Sustainable Sue profile image98
    Sustainable Sueposted 6 years ago

I started out with a moniker related to water conservation. So far it's primarily been product reviews, but I'm moving into writing ideas for conserving and also articles about different roles that water plays.

Then I did the 30 day contest, for which I wanted to write about other things not related, including political activism. Like another hubber here, I didn't want my business contacts to see what I was doing as a political activist, since most of them are government or quasi government and that might discourage them from hiring me to write for them. So I set up another account, for which I now write more than the first one.

12. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

Many people who've become well known as high earners on their main account discover that they'd prefer to put their best work on an unknown account to stop it getting stolen...

working