jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why is it the Hub Pages does not allow certain content yet I am faced with ads

1. Joan King profile image74
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

Why is it the Hub Pages does not allow  certain content yet I am faced with ads of the same content?

Whenever I post a question I get an ad showing me suggestive images of  women and asking me if I want to date Russian Women. I know Hub Pages  has a very strict policy about the mere mention of certain words or content  in hubs so I am not sure I understand the rationale.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6578676_f260.jpg

2. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

It's not Hubpages fault; it's Adsense.

Since Adsense is displayed on the site, Hubpages has to abide by their very strict ToS.

Joan Kingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I still don't understand who puts the racy ads on then if adsense dictates what is written. Doesn't this apply to adds? Also I get adsense income  at another site where I write on all issues so I am still confused.

3. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 5 years ago

WryLilt correctly answered what limits the content that you yourself post. The other part of your question is how certain ads are selected.

It seems that the ad server--wherever and controlled by whomever doesn't really matter--selects ads for products that the user has recently searched for.

Mine, for example, has been showing me either stock charts or leather repair kits, the latter because I was looking for those when I wrote my last hub. Now, this is delicate, so I'll try to use precise wording: It "might" be that someone who uses your computer has been looking at dating sites recently. Or there might be another explanation I don't know about.

You can control it, however. Go to your Google Adsense account. Select the tab (at top) for "Allow & block ads." I have blocked three specific "Sensitive categories."

You may also notice that this feature can be extremely powerful for focusing ads if you have a niche site. Simply block anything that seems off-topic--and your competitor's ads as well!

Joan Kingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

HowardS. Thanks for the useful comment about blocking ads. However, only I have access to my computer so I know for sure no one has been surfing for dating sites - not this old married woman. I still see it as a double standard on adsense part.

working