jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

Why would you stop following another hubber?

1. breathe2travel profile image82
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Why would you stop following another hubber?

What reasons do you have to stop following a hubber?  Can they tell who has "dropped" them?

2. TheLifeExperiment profile image60
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

I haven't dropped anyone on here, but I have on Tumblr and twitter. For example, I stopped following Demi Lovato on twitter. I'm happy that she's cleaned up, but all she talks about now is how great God is and how horrible it is being bulimic and depressed- to each their own, but to me it seems really self-indulgent and annoying. I only drop people if they become too repetitive, post stuff too often, or never post anything at all.

1. spartucusjones profile image94
      spartucusjonesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I do the same thing on tumbr. I don't spend a lot of time on tumblr at the moment, but when I did my dash was starting to become too cluttered.

3. spartucusjones profile image94
    spartucusjonesposted 5 years ago

Sometimes I initially followed someone because I read one of their hubs and found it interesting, or I read their profile and found it interesting. Or I may of followed them because of comments they made on different hubs and forms.

But over time I was following too many hubbers, and my email was starting to become clutter. So I chose to stop following a few hubbers. These are hubbers that maybe initially piqued my curiosity, but generally they write about topics that don't overly interest me. I have also become more selective about who I follow.

But if I do choose to stop following someone, it is definitely nothing personal.

4. bockshiner profile image82
    bockshinerposted 5 years ago

I haven't been on hubpages long enough to stop following anyone. But I've stopped on other networks because they post too much. Also, I sometimes follow people that I found interesting and later I realize that I'm not really interested in the other stuff they post.

5. Clive Donegal profile image77
    Clive Donegalposted 5 years ago

For me it is a matter of winnowing to those time permits or as my interest changes.  Once in a long while it is because I decide the writer is off his nut.
    I have posed and responded to a number of questions about faith. I enjoy the discourse, but, for example, I just read a hub in which it was clear that the writer believes not only that God talks to her, but that she is God's sole conduit.

6. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I have quit following people who quit writing for more than 6 months. Also because their writing has taken a curve to the strange side. I have also quit following because they quit writing about what I am interested in. The only way they can tell is if they go looking for your name on their followers list.

7. Kathleen Cochran profile image80
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years ago

I have stopped following a hubber in the past because they limited their writing to one subject and I'm interested in more of a variety of topics.

I've stopped following a hubber because they prove to be intolerant of other opinions or resort to name-calling.  That kills it for me.

1. breathe2travel profile image82
      breathe2travelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Name-calling is an interest-killer for me, as well.  I do not mind, and actually welcome, respectful and educated debate -- not mere anger-filled rhetoric or mudslinging.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image80
      Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you breate2travel (love your handle!)  I understand people feel strongly, which is why we attack the darned blinking curser and the blank page to express ourselves, but educated debate is too often ruined when tempers flare.

3. breathe2travel profile image82
      breathe2travelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Kathleen for commenting on my handle. smile  I LOOOOOVE to travel and we are looking so forward to returning to traveling more now that my hubby finished his last stretch of education goals. smile

8. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

I have only dropped one, so far. I did this because this particular Hubber professed to be something that she was not.

I am considering dropping another, reluctantly, because she sometimes publishes a half dozen hubs in a single day, and quite frankly, my notifications box and Hubmail gets pretty jammed up as a result. I do like her a lot and she is quite talented. I don't know, maybe I can find a way to work around that?

Now, I would consider dropping another Hubber if they went off the deep end, became overly argumentative, or downright nasty. I had this happen to me only once, but as they say, once is enough.

I rarely sign up to follow someone until I have read at least 5 of their Hubs. I figure 5 hubs is probably a sufficient number to get an idea of what they are about. I also do this because I do not want to have to drop them later...kinda like dating. :0)

9. snowdrops profile image39
    snowdropsposted 5 years ago

maybe when they become inactive to Hubpages..

10. Sheepsquatch profile image64
    Sheepsquatchposted 5 years ago

If I follow a hubber because I like what they write about, and later they change I might not continue to follow them if it is an uninteresting topic.

11. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I will drop a Hubber or at least try to, when that person expects me to engage in a discussion with him that will last all day, commenting on the 20 points he made in  his Hub. When I tell him I cannot spend that amount of time, he gets angry and we stop.