jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Are you better off writing one long article or several short articles?

1. Marc Rohde profile image70
    Marc Rohdeposted 5 years ago

Are you better off writing one long article or several short articles?

If you choose a topic to write about are you better off having one long article or breaking them into a number of topical articles?

Example: I am writing about widgets and am thinking of an articl called "What are Widgets?" and another called "How do you select the best Widget?" and another called "Alternative uses for Widgets".

If you could write one 2400 word article or three 800 word articls with apprioriate referance (linking) which would be better?

2. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 5 years ago

In this case, three 800 word articls would probably be more appropriate, because most readers will likely think that 2400 words is too much for one article. If a hub is that long, then it is very easy to loose interest even if the hub has plenty of pictures and videos.

3. Angela Brummer profile image46
    Angela Brummerposted 5 years ago

I had read from another hubber that google doesn't take you seriously if your article does not consist of 1,000 or more words.  And that your hub score is also affected by the length of your article.  However I just cut an article into two as I thought it was to long.   This made the first article stopping racism about 1,000 words and the next half about 500.  People often read one or the other and not both.

Marc Rohdeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did you post the artiles together at some point or did you edit them befor you posted?  I'm curious because I think I found the articls and the titles are very different and if you look at sources of traffic from search engines that could explain.

4. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

I know that "flagship hubs" are 1500 words or more and those are considered to be the ones which do the best over time.  However, I'm struggling with this question right now on my own hubs.  I have a lot of long hubs and I've wondered if I should maybe make them into two or more.  However, I did recently did take a hub I'd written and published it into to sections and one gets a lot of hits and the other--which I think is equally important--not so many (How to Get started Writing at Interact Media, Tips for Copywriting).  I do always try to put a link in my hubs that connect it to other similar hubs, and I think about 10% of my hub traffic comes as people go from one link to another.

5. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

Most of the experts say that 1,500 words is a sensible limit - after that, most people will stop scrolling down and you'll lose them. 

Angela is right, one of our top Hubbers did a research project last year and found her Hubs performed best when in the 800 to 1,500 word range.   However, two 400-word Hubs, linked to each other (and I don't mean just in Groups, I mean with links in the text), are probably just as good as one 800 word Hub.    It sounds like for you, three 800 word articles would be the best way to go.

Marc Rohdeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you recall the article I would love to read it!

6. tmbridgeland profile image83
    tmbridgelandposted 5 years ago

Just personal experience, but 900 words seems to be about the minimum for good Google exposure, with 800 maybe the absolute minimum. I make no attempt to play SEO, but I do cross-link my Hubs. FWIW.

working