Is it bad to use a lot of external links in a Hub? (like 20)

1. TheKatsMeow profile image88
    TheKatsMeowposted 5 years ago

Is it bad to use a lot of external links in a Hub? (like 20)

Let's say you create a hub about travel locations, and you want to place links to those locations in your hub. I have heard that due to the google panda update and Penguin, that having many external links in an article can actually harm your traffic... so my question is, do you think it's better to not place many links... even though these links are important to the hub? I want to clarify that these wouldn't be personal links, and I am not spamming...

2. Meguchan profile image80
    Meguchanposted 5 years ago

I am new so I am by far not the expert on this.  However, I have had to temporarily un-publish several of my hubs because the moderators seemed to think there were too many links - although mine were also about traveling and the links were to help readers with more information about the locations, or how to get there.

I was surprised, because in reading the information on writing hubs, I thought I was supposed to be helpful, and I appreciate when blogs and such have those links so I don't have to take the additional step of searching for the information myself in a search engine.  With what the moderators have to say, though, that seems to not be ok at HubPages.

By taking away these links, which I selected carefully, I feel that I am diminishing my hub.  However, if the moderators at HubPages really are trying to help us with making hubs that gain more traffic, perhaps having fewer links is important to increasing your traffic flow.

Thanks for asking this question, as I'd been wondering about it myself.

3. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Personally, I think it's awkward to see more than 5 links in a hub. But it seems that hubpages doesn't really have a limit as long as you're linking to high quality websites (see the last paragraph from this article in the learning center

I looked at your profile and see the hub you're referring too, the Toronto, Canada one right? I think your links work in that one. They're all going to real websites so I assume it would be fine.

20 is a long list, breaking it up into 2 or 3 hubs would mean less links in each one and chances for more traffic by linking all three lists together.