RSS Feed Moderation Does Not Make Sense!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Staff,

Please get your moderation team on the same page. I am beginning to get PISSED OFF at their incompetence.

Last time I checked, RSS Feeds are allowed to be ON hubs and must be relevant to the HUB.

I am getting sick and tired of moderators telling me to DELETE specific links inside RSS Feeds, which are tied to specific keywords.

Are these people naturally stupid or just not trained properly? If either case applies, then again it is just another action by HP that proves staff is having more problems than they apparently can handle.

The only other remote possibility is that the RSS Feeds have a glitch in them. I only say that, because if the moderation team is telling me to delete links that come up from inserting specific keywords which ARE RELATED to the hub content, then that is also concerning.

So, what is going on?

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cags,

I'd email the moderation team. They do not regularly patrol the forums, but they do respond to emails (it looks like an email was sent to you 41 hours ago regarding the ad disabling).

If you want clarification on moderation decisions, your best option is always to email team@.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

It's crazy, Cags. I have friends here on HP who haven't written in a while, so they've been out of touch (they're not marketers). They ask what's going on, what's allowed, what isn't. Obviously the answer to them is to weed through blog posts, forum threads, help and learning center entries...none of which are consistent.

I haven't published here since March, even though none of my published Hubs was ever flagged post-Panda for any kind of violation (I removed all RSS and news feeds as soon as HP said to, and I never did write sales Hubs, except for two or three). But what I'm left with here is a lack of powerful tools, such as those feeds, which enriched whatever I wrote.

I think the days of using powerful HP tools to interlink within HP or to link outside of HP are over. HP needs time to find its way, but in the meantime I do wish it wouldn't be so inconsistent. I don't know if that's a problem with moderators or a problem with HP not knowing how it should proceed into the future.

3. Cagsil profile image70

Thank you Sally's Trove. Much appreciated. Like I said in my OP, I am beginning to get pissed off, because of the inconsistency.

I don't understand how I can have a hub about a person and that person's name is not a relevant keyword for an RSS feed?

It makes no sense.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly, that person's name would likely be highlighted in the Suggest Links Tool, but with no destination link. I noticed that oddity several times when HP first introduced that feature.

So, it was OK then for the Suggest Links Tool to highlight a proper name, but not OK now to use a proper name as a tag.

Crazy making.

4. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Wow, sorry to hear about this Ray. This is another blunder that just makes me Not want to publish here anymore.

Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Michael, the RSS Feed wasn't the only reason for my hub to be unpublished, however, it was a factor for being unpublished.

Moderator unpublished my hub on Pamela Anderson and I used her full name, to pull up links to related to the keywords "Pamela+Anderson".

I was told that I had to delete an individual link from the RSS Feed, because it wasn't related to my hub?

How pathetic is that?

Again, there is a remote possibility that the RSS Feeds are screwed up? hmm

1. Michael Willis profile image66
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, how do they expect you to unlink the individual link inside a RSS Feed?

I know, right? Unlink an individual link inside a RSS Feed is the dumbest thing I've heard of. hmm

5. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Now...if the RSS Feed is being fed from the Google search engine in some way, then, of course there would irrelevant links inside the RSS Feed. (lol)
    It is what you get with any Google search result. The "New" Google Algorithm Panda change in top form!

6. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

Maybe its time for them to upgrade to a new magic eight ball...

Should I unpublish?  Signs Look Good
    Should I provide a Reason?  Try Again

http://animation.about.com/library/tuto … 8ball1.htm

lol lol

7. Cagsil profile image70

ATTENTION STAFF

Please put your moderation team on notice. They unpublished a hub of mine, requested I fix it and when I fixed it, they have continued to republish the hub, but left the ads disabled.

I'm sorry, but that is just utterly dumb. yikes

1. Michael Willis profile image66
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what's up with the disabling Ads on Hub that are moderated and fixed?
      It is some type of HubPages punishment to the Hubber?

I don't know Michael, but this isn't the first time it's been done to me.

@ATTENTION STAFF are you people even paying attention to the forums anymore?

Ironic, staff members too afraid to approach members who are dissatisfied.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
          PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow-maybe it's just me but I've never heard you so fired up Cags! I'm inspired by your voice (that will of course will be tuned out by the selective hearing of those who need to be in the first place)- but heck---Keep screaming Cags! I'm listening!

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
            PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Cagsil profile image70

Thank you Paula. Always nice to see you. smile lol

2. Cagsil profile image70

yikes

8. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

Nothing here makes any sense any more Ray.
    But its interesting to drop in from time to time to check out the disaster du jour.

My thoughts are still that that they want to get rid of all links that do not make them money, and also make "rules on the run" that just alienate people - and have no effect on the problems that they are trying to solve.

I know Eric. I would still think that it is a business and if these people actually want HP to succeed, then it would be best if they finally got their s*!t together.

Moderators should be on the same page. If a hub is fixed and there are NO other violations, then ads should not be disabled on a hub.

If HP staff is not going to train their moderators properly on the wisest course of actions to take, then I will take my writing elsewhere.

Right now, everything I have done, is all about bring traffic to my hubs. I will remove my hubs, not that I have many, and I will no longer consider HP viable source for anything. It's pathetic that plenty of other people who were awesome for and to the community, not to mention, the growth of HP to the level it was at, are now gone or no longer publishing hubs.

It's pretty bad that long standing members have removed thousands of hubs, which were actually great pieces of writing(even the sales hubs could be learned from).

I mean, if HP plans on continuing it's path, then Staff should say so. If this is how they are going to conduct business? Then, it's time to move on.

9. Cagsil profile image70

Any Staff alive? Awake? Even semi-conscious would do? hmm

1. profile image0
      Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL Its so funny to so many posts and not one word from any hub moderators.

I'm sorry. I don't find it funny actually. hmm

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
          Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I asked a direct question about Market Samurai about 5 days ago in a thread where Maddie was taking part.

No response.

Perhaps they've all left the building?

Or far too busy unpublishing hubs to answer posts in the forum.

I wonder if they understand the concept of leverage, where a little bit of time taken in one area could save hundreds of hours in another area.

Leverage? It's beyond the scope of most people. I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from Staff than I do from the average person.

Still, I think it is a lousy way to conduct business....the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and vice versa. hmm

10. HSanAlim profile image58
    HSanAlimposted 12 years ago

I believe the WWII term for a situation like this is SNAFU.

11. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

I believe the reason why no HP staff have responded to this incompetence is because they too have seen the light and are submitting their resumes elsewhere en mass.

If they are not doing so then someone needs to make it quite clear to them that this place is in its death throes.

12. WoodsmensPost profile image61
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

Attacking the Staff with rude comments will get you nowhere and they shouldn't respond...  You Should have realized this, with 38k posts you think you might have caught on by now lol and taken a different approach at wording your displeasure,

You can email them directly at team@hubpages lol lol

13. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Rude is having your work unpublished, lost from the index and losing revenue without warning or explanation.

Responding as Cagsil has is only a normal response to the new rude face (lack of face?) of HP.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image61
      WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Disrespect in any case is really not a professional form of communication. Reading the OP you will see what I mean in regards to disrespect, although you Sir have also had your threads of disrespect to staff with ineffective communication too, I see how you agree with this type of conduct.

So no-response from STaff is appropaiate at this point. !!

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My "rudeness" was exponential and retaliatory. In most cases it would have best been described as "challenging"

I prefer not to be rude, In many cases I was actually fuming mad so was a little less even tempered then I would normally hope to be.

Silence is rude also though. I took a peek at staff forum post history after Cagsil's OP - they seem to have abandoned the forum completely now.

14. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/453/3923007274.png

Are we really expected to think the above is an example of a job well done ^

If those numbers are accurate (its the estimated data from their advertising profile) then my personal network gets more daily visitors smile

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how much of that drop is due to the removal of so many spam hubs?

1. sunforged profile image71

Could be.

But massive drops in traffic become exponential as the site loses the backlinks that went along with many of those hubs.

The SPAM hubs were a necessary loss, but the alienated commercial hubbers had lots of expertise and network power that was not wise to lose.

15. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Jason, I've emailed moderators.

I realize that you're not a moderator, but would it be too much for the moderation team to actually use a little common sense?

I mean, when they unpublished my hubs, asked me to fix them and I do fix them, then it makes absolutely no sense why the ads would be disabled on them, when republished by them.

Seriously, what part of my OP did you not understand? sad

16. Cagsil profile image70

ATTENTION STAFF

Again, I implore you to get your moderation team on the same damn page. Again, I have another hub that has been unpublished for something completely stupid.

The email I just received and responded to, tells me that the hub that they just unpublished, has UNRELATED LINKS on the hub and that is completely FALSE.

ALL LINKS ARE RELATED!

It appears as if there is a problem with the RSS FEED pulling in unrelated links? It is impossible for any hubber to remove any sort of unrelated links that the RSS Feed is pulling.

If the moderation team doesn't know that, then please INFORM them.

This is getting to be absurd. Unpublishing Hubs for NO REASON makes absolutely NO SENSE!

@Jason, please DO INFORM others of this problem.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cag, didn't you see Jason's response to me on another thread?  He and Simone are not allowed to speak to the moderators.   So none of the issues we raise in the forums gets to them.

Hey Marisa, I didn't want Jason to speak to moderators. I wanted Jason to speak to others, like Maddie who is moderator supervisor, among doing other jobs.

For Jason to sit by and do nothing, only shows that HP is definitely headed in the wrong direction, if he(Jason) says nothing to no one. hmm

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Maddie is included in those he's not allowed to speak to...

I was very clearly told that the forums are NOT the place to report problems and the ONLY way to address moderation concerns was to email the moderating team (or Maddie). 

Which kind of makes the Report a Problem thread somewhat obsolete...

smile I'm allowed to speak to Maddie. But as a matter of protocol to make sure our work is as efficient as possible, this is the way we do things:

If it's a matter of how policy works, feel free to ask in the Need Help forum. I will try to clarify if I can.

If it's a very specific question about why one Hub was moderated, I would contact team@.

Efficient? lol
              If that is the case, then I suggest you visit the "Need Help" forum thread, since Marisa posted to it.
              And, when those emails go unanswered, then what?

Edit: Nevermind about Marisa thread, you already addressed it.

17. Cagsil profile image70

Here is a copy of my response to the email I received for the most recently unpublished hub.

To whom it may concern:

Your description of what is wrong with my hub is apparently lacking.

It claims to remove unrelated links, however there are NO unrelated links on the hub.

You people need to seriously get on the ball. You continue to make more out of what YOU don't understand to begin with.

All links on this hub are related to the topic of the hub(person who it is about).

The RSS Feed is using the keywords/tags of the name of the individual. If there is a problem with those links, then I would suggest YOU look at your RSS Feed and a possible glitch that needs to be fixed.

If the RSS Feed is pulling unrelated content, then that is YOUR FAULT, not mine. You people(HP) are the ones who allow RSS Feeds to be enabled on hubs, as long as they are related to the topic of the hub. The KEYWORD for my RSS Feed is the exact name of the person my hub is about. If YOU have to moderate the RSS Feed and want links eliminated, then I would suggest YOU fix the problem with the RSS Feed pulling unrelated links.

Now, that we are on the same page, please restore my hub and make sure that the ads are not disabled, unlike my other two hubs which have recently been moderated, but ads are still disabled for some UNKNOWN reason.

Please do try to do a better job.

Thank you for your time.

if a hub has a tag that isn't relevant to the topic, then the mis-tagged hub should be flagged, not yours.

Hey Mutiny,

My point is that keywords/tags, of the name of the person the hub is about, is relevant, whether it be on the right side or inside an RSS Feed.

My other point is that IF the RSS Feeds are pulling wrong, unrelated links, then there must be a problem or glitch with the RSS Feeds? Correct?

The fact that moderators are asking people to eliminate links contained in an RSS Feed(which isn't possible, except to delete the entire RSS Feed itself), then it tells me that moderators are not being trained properly.

I concur. The RSS feeds are taken from a hub's tags I think. So if another hub includes the name in their tag but the hub itself is not relevant, then that hub with the bad tag should be addressed.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image61
            WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you are saying a tag like 60dc is a bad tag because it is irrelevant to the hub. Ok I agree, watch who chimes in next

Not at all. Those tags were not a problem. What I am saying is if Cags' rss feed for 'Pamela andersen' brings up a hub on some other topic then I suspect that the other hub listed Pamela andersen as a tag inappropriately. I suspect it is not a problem with the rss, it is a problem with a nonrelated tag and Cags' hub shoul not be the one penalized. He is listing the rss in good faith that other hubbers are following the rules.

Or, you can create an RSS feed to your own Hubs on the topic. That way, you have complete control over what shows up in the feed.

Or don't use the RSS Capsule with a HubPages RSS feed at all. I'm not a big fan of using it in your own Hubs at all. It should be used off-site to point links back to your Hubs, where it is probably a lot more useful.

2. sunforged profile image71

Lol

If a group makes an association between their art. Whether its a site administration doing a contest, a loose collaborative group doing a hubmob or artists all considering themselves Post-modern. Who is to question their chosen associations?

Your tiny thinking is missing so many elements of online participation and promotion, its laughable. Taxonomy and categorization is many faceted.

Perhaps Cagsil has an rss feed (you know they work off of hubpages, right?) to a Pamela Anderson fan Site, i.e. ilovepam.com/rss - maybe that site does a few posts on movies that pam auditioned for but never got the part.

Is that random link within the feed grounds for unpublishing? Is the association apparent if you glance at the feed? Is a connection between "movies" and a known movie star enough? Would you recognize every movie on earth by the rss snippet?

Do you discount your own writing or efforts enough to allow some uninvolved party to dictate your reasoning? YOUR readers should be yours to suggest and navigate as you please, what service does Hubpages offer in offsite promotion to your efforts that should make you so quick to allow them to question yours or those of other writers?

An author will often point to other works they have done or to associations they trust or belong to. Its common internet practice and good promotion.

If you think their tag/rss witchhunt will have any positive effects on the site - I would love to hear what they could be.

Hubs is decimating their link profiles, baby with bathwater etc. They dont have the manpower to perform what they are trying to do and are just cutting themselves to shreds.

18. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Hi Cags smile ltns. Wow, you are definitely annoyed wink maybe one the links is leading to a bad 'neighborhood' or part of another link breaking the 2 domains rule? hmm jus a thought. Usually it gets republished for approval once corrected and resubmitted sad sorry to hear you're having such probs n tis the weekend now.

Thank you Dame Scribe. Much appreciated. This whole situation is sad more than anything else.

19. WoodsmensPost profile image61
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

Aww thats a shame hope you contacted the stupid team you referred to

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5120422.jpg
    Is this guy on drugs?

What a joke. roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)