jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think that shorter or longer hubs are better and get more views?

1. carol7777 profile image88
    carol7777posted 5 years ago

Do you think that shorter or longer hubs are better and get more views?

I know it  is a good idea to write comprehensive hubs with lots of good information.  When I write recipes they are fairly short as I do one at atime.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Just as long as they are engaging and keep the readers attention, I wouldn't think it would matter.  smile

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

It depends on the Hub author and the subject.  My Hubs average 1,000 words.  I've done more, but it is no sweat for me to write and hack.  I have no emotional attachment to my Hubs, so I can unpublish and delete all I want.  There are online sites who want 400 words or less, but that does not interest me.  Everyone does recipes.  It's a good way to break in, but as far as the writing goes, you need to find your niche and build your portfolio.  But if you are in this for the fun, don't worry about a thing.  Do what you wanna do.

4. robhampton profile image98
    robhamptonposted 5 years ago

It actually does matter. The Google algorithmic crawler seems to not like ranking short articles higher. My Hubs that have the highest word count are the ones that get the most views.

5. WorkAtHomeMums profile image89
    WorkAtHomeMumsposted 5 years ago

I guess it depends on the topic really.  If the message you are looking to portray can be stated in a short manner then the hub should be short otherwise you'll see rambling and repetitive words just to fill out a hub.  On the other hand if a hub is way too long it will probably make me start scrolling to the end and skipping half of it. Unless it is really engaging.  I have seen a few hubs which are on the lengthy side which I have enjoyed reading as they are full of information and spaced out really well and easy on the eye.

6. profile image0
    Vrijdag Pagesposted 5 years ago

If you are looking for external views (i.e. outside hub page viewers) then shorter (600-800 words) as people only want information on a subject they search in google/bing/yahoo etc for. And they want that information quick and sharp.

carol7777posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank  you.

7. crisfirm profile image57
    crisfirmposted 5 years ago

Well, HubPages is all about precise information about what ever you wan't to write.
    For me if you write a lot of words, many people won't read it to the end. So write precise and useful information, and if you can write with fewer words for me even better...

8. newcalendar profile image69
    newcalendarposted 5 years ago

I spent the last week solidly researching search engine optimisation and found out that while 500+ words will likely make an impact better in google, any more doesn't generally make a difference. Hope that helps!

carol7777posted 5 years agoin reply to this

This was a perfect answer.  Really appreciate.  I write about 500 to 600 words in general.

working