jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)

If you could tell a new hubber one thing, what would it be?

1. ChristyWrites profile image79
    ChristyWritesposted 5 years ago

If you could tell a new hubber one thing, what would it be?

My advice would be: do not give up! The road to earnings is not a fast one but over time you will begin to see financial rewards.

I am interested to hear your advice for a new hubber. Thanks!

2. RunningDeer profile image83
    RunningDeerposted 5 years ago

Watch and learn from the ones who have been doing this for awhile.  Ask questions and listen.  They know what they are talking about!

ChristyWritesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good stuff! So much can be learned that way.

2. teaches12345 profile image95
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, learn by observation and ask questions!  Be patient in learning, it takes time.

3. healthylife2 profile image91
    healthylife2posted 5 years ago

Write about what you have a passion for and don't focus on making money.

4. ThatFatGuy profile image83
    ThatFatGuyposted 5 years ago

Write purely for the purpose of writing: share your thoughts, dreams, ideas, whatever they may be. If making money is  your first goal here on Hubpages, then you are here for the wrong reasons.

5. krillco profile image95
    krillcoposted 5 years ago

Take criticism seriously. Just like I can't sing, some people should not write.

6. ThePracticalMommy profile image94
    ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago

1. Learn all you can about how HP works from the Learning Center and the FAQ. 2. Edit, and edit again. 3. Be patient; hubs take up to six months (in some cases longer) to mature and earn money.

I am learning to be patient with the maturity part. Thanks and congrats on the score of 100!

7. MyWebs profile image84
    MyWebsposted 5 years ago

If I was to take your question very literally and stick to just one thing it would be: Go read everything in the Learning Center. Then follow up on those topics you either don't get or are not good at. The learning center is a great resource that covers everything you need to know.

8. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

My advice to a new writer here would be to concentrate on grammar and use spell check. I would advise against slapping an article together without proofreading it several times. There is no bigger turn off than misspelled words in a title or opening paragraph. No matter how catchy a title may be, I find it almost impossible to go further into a story if there are numerous spelling errors.

You are quite right that obvious errors can be a distraction that deter from reading.

9. carol7777 profile image90
    carol7777posted 5 years ago

It is difficult to say one thing, but we are here to write so write your very best.

Quite right!

10. flashmakeit profile image70
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

I would write welcome to the hubpages and try to write informative or amusing hubs that Google or advertisers would like.

11. profile image0
    chrisinhawaiiposted 5 years ago

The first things that came to my mind (patience...learning center) are already covered, so I would tell a new hubber to seek out a profitable niche and seek to provide truly awesome resources for people looking for info and products/services in that niche.

If a new hubber is feeling discouraged and is perhaps considering giving up, that implies (I think) that they are here to make money...and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!  Nobody judges the girl that served them coffee this morning...

"Oh...she acted all nice and said to have a nice day...but I'll bet she's just working here for the money..."

...some people serve food for a living, and some people write Internet articles for a living.  It's all good. There's money to be made writing for HubPages...but they gotta understand that to be financially successful, they must approach hubbing as they would any other business.

If they want to make money, then they've got to provide the answers and solutions that searchers are looking for.

You are quite right Chris on many levels. As I recently wrote in my hub, freelance writing involves sales and has to be approached as a business. Thanks for the great comment here.

12. Trinity M profile image85
    Trinity Mposted 5 years ago

I’d say follow ChrityWrites smile But seriously, follow the right mentors who are there to advise and support you on your journey, don’t get disheartened if things don’t happen fast and always write well.

LOL Trinity, no pressure smile You are quite right about not being disheartened. Hard work helps. Trinity rocks!

Closed to reply

working