jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Bounce Rates???

1. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 10 years ago

can anyone explain what bounce rates are in google analytics.....jimmy

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's basically the percentage of the time that the next page the person views is on the same site.  It is supposed to help you determine which pages people are jumping ship from.

However, since we only run your analytics tracker on your hubs and profile type pages, I believe analytics would interpret it as a bounce if someone clicked  to any page that wasn't one of yours, for instance the HubPages home page or another author's hub.

2. jimmythejock profile image83

thanks Paul, I knew it was something along those lines, but wasnt 100%
    Jimmy

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No problem.  Clicking on an ad is also a bounce, so a high bounce rate isn't necessarily a bad thing.  You'll probably see the highest bounce rate on your hubs that are getting significant search traffic.

3. jimmythejock profile image83

my bounce rate for yesterday was 89% will be interesting to see how it pans out over the next few days.....jimmy

4. tshirtscene profile image49
    tshirtsceneposted 10 years ago

I thought a high bounce rate was bad? I'm always trying to make mine lower, maybe I shouldnt be lol.

5. gooadam profile image67
    gooadamposted 10 years ago

Well, I have found that with my own sites the google ad clicks are also referenced in the bounce rate.  So I wouldn't feel too offended at the people "jumping ship" so much.  Some of those people are putting money in your pocket. 

If you want to drop the bounce rates, then you could link similar hubs together in the context of the hub.

working