Feature Enhancement: Add help link for "ads" level settings tab

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Carl "Fitness" profile image60
    Carl "Fitness"posted 14 years ago

It would be very helpful for newbies if HubPages added some context-sensitive (inline) help links near the "ads" level setting drop down box on the settings tab for new hub posts.  (That's where you set the level to none, low, medium, high.)  For example, adding a little "what's this" or "ad policy" or "what we considered commercial" or similar link here would be EXTREMELY helpful to clarify things for new hubbers.

Here's my 2 cents on why:

I'm a newbie to HubPages.  I posted my first hub yesterday. 

Today I got an email from the HubPages Team that said "We have reviewed your Hub, and have determined that it is ineligible to have an Ad Level other than High, since it may be considered commercial or links to another site." (I had it set to medium or low.)

That's no problem for me. HubPages seems like a cool place to be, and I plan to give it a try for a while and keep posting.  I'm very happy (and eager) to play by the HubPages rules.

But I was VERY surprised to get this email. My post is not commercial and contains only one link -- which does actually go to an outbound site.  I had no idea that this automatically classified my site as "commercial."

And I must admit that the "ads" setting is not very clear. Perhaps this simply means that I am not very smart :-) But when I was trying to figure out how to do my first post, I had no idea what this "ads" setting did, and certainly I had no idea that there were restrictions on how I was allowed to set it.  It seemed logical (and still does) that if you give me a choice ranging from "none" to "high" that I would be allowed to set it to one of the choices in the range that you offer me.

The email from the HubPages Team (which was relatively nice and only mildly threatening), advised me that this policy of "one outbound link means you must set ads to high" is clearly defined in the user agreement.  And I'm sure that it is.  But how many people on Hub pages have read the entire user agreement?  Sadly, I admit that I don't usually read the endless pages of legalese in a site's user agreement (although perhaps I should).

I will point out that ironically, I find that setting the ads to high on my hub and filling it with someone else's paid advertisements makes it indeed look very commercial.  But again, if that's the policy, I'm happy to live with it.  No worries.

Anyway, this post became much longer than I intended.  I'm a happy to play be the rules and I have no hard feeling here.  I fully understand that HubPages needs to be vigilant about spammers, and that makes everything better for all of us.

But I do think that a help link near the "ads" drop down box would help make it easier for people to know the rules.  If there had been a link there, I would have clicked and read the rules, because at the time time I didn't even know what ad level meant.  Other new Hubbers may similarly benefit from HubPages making this info easy to find.

1. relache profile image67
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you realize that when you accept a website's user agreement, part of that includes language that says you've legally agreed that you've read all the rules for that site and that you understand them?

2. SaraHays profile image60
      SaraHaysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

** Agreed. I'm still not sure what it means **

3. profile image53
      marso_netposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Carl, I hear what you're saying. The thing is, though, that there are lots of things about HubPages that aren't quite as simple as clicking "Start a new Hub" and writing a bunch of text. 

New Hubbers really do need to spend a bit of time reading the Starting Out Guide or the help screens, and if HP solved too many problems for them, they might not bother.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

The number of people who don't bother to read the TOS and then want to have their hand held always amazes me.

And yes I read the entire TOS and everything else before I entered into the agreement and have done so with EVERY merchant that I have ever represented as an affiliate.

4. Carl "Fitness" profile image60

Curiously, as I have now read part of the TOS, it actually does NOT say that sites with outbound links must be set to ad level of high.  There is a line to that effect in section 9.  However, that section only applies to people who are trying to monetize their Hubs with their own adsense accounts or other third party monetization services.  This does not apply to me, so according to the TOS I should be able to set my ad level to anything I want.

Again, I'm happy to play by the rules or even -- as in this case -- the perceived rules.  I don't mind setting the ad level to high if that's what HubPages requires.  I just think the rules should be clear.  In this case, they are certainly unclear and in fact the perceived rules contradict the legal rules defined in the TOS.

Nonetheless, don't you (Nelle and relache) think that you are being a little harsh in your replies?  I'm just trying to voice my opinion to help people out and make HubPages better.  It's great that you are HubPage experts, but sometimes it can be helpful to get a fresh perspective from someone who is new and looking at things with fresh, virgin eyes.  You don't need to attack me.  We should be able to have a friendly discussion without getting angry or resorting to name calling or condescension.

I'm certainly not looking to have "my hand held."  It seems pretty intuitive to me that if you give me a choice of a drop down list with 4 options, that I'm allowed to pick any of the four choices.  If not, I'd expect a little guidance.

I also don't think that this is an extreme request.  Right in the same area, is a link explaining the Google AdSense policy.  Why not hyperlink the word "commercial" on the next line and explain what HubPages considers to be a commercial hub?  Certainly, I would not expect that a post about my experience with an elliptical trainer and ONE link to an external site would count as commercial.  It's no problem if that's the rule.  It should just be clear.

It's also great that you read the entire TOS of every site that you join.  But I doubt very much that that is common place.  This TOS is over 4,000 words long.  And in this case, it seems that even expert Hubbers such as you who have read the entire TOS are unclear about the policy regarding the ad level setting.

Anyway, I firmly believe that open, respectful and courteous discussion and debate is a great thing that makes the world better.  I hope that any future conversations continue in that mindset.

5. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

You'll find that people can be quite short in the forums. Nelle is typically quite nice, whereas Relache can be quite to the point without any emotion. You're lucky you didn't just get a link to the TOS and/or FAQs.

In the 'help' section at the top of the page, you can find the below definition of what 'commercial' means.

Does that help?

Because you have one link to another site, the hub is considered commercial. I'm assuming the other site is a commercial site (more than like selling something, featuring an affiliate, or something like that- blogs can be considered commercial).

6. Carl "Fitness" profile image60

Thanks Whitney05!  I appreciate the advice and the reference.

I was getting a bit worried that HubPages was not a friendly or inclusive community.  But you've restored my optimistic view that it's a good place with thoughtful people.

:-)

7. darkside profile image58
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Once you've passed the commercial snare, run the gauntlet of disgruntled old timers, frustrated over HubScore, you still have to survive the religious and political forums. And THEN Carl, you can be one of us.

In the meantime, welcome to the site.

And stop by this thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4668 it'll bring you up to speed.

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or you can just ignore the religious and political forums.  smile  Welcome.

8. Carl "Fitness" profile image60

LOL!

Thanks lakeerieartists and darkside :-)

9. Carl "Fitness" profile image60

Holy cow!  It's only been a few days, and already it seems this has been addressed.

I just went to write my second Hub, and now I see that the words "considered commercial" underneath the ad level has a link directly to text that explains what is considered commercial.

Am I crazy, or was that link missing just a few days ago.

If it is indeed new, then I am incredibly impressed with the HubPages team.  Even though it's a simple change, it's still amazing to respond to a user and roll it out so quickly.  That's totally AWESOME!!!

1. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That link was always there. You must have missed it.

Just kidding. It looks to be a recent addition. You've done well!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we just added this feature after talking about your suggestion in our team meeting on Wednesday.  Glad you noticed the change, and thanks for the feedback.

Carl "Fitness"posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very cool!  It's very encouraging that the Hub crew really does listen to users.  And it's super cool that they are able to respond and implement changes so quickly.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and bravo for you because you have presented yourself as someone willing to respect the guidelines and didn't come in bashing the rules! management listens when someone is speaking rationally.
          smile  (maybe the religious and political forum should take note!)

welcome!

Carl "Fitness"posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks rebekahELLE!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)