jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Will HP extend the upcoming Review contest for those affected by the hurricane?

1. StephanieBCrosby profile image85
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years ago

Will HP extend the upcoming Review contest for those affected by the hurricane?

I live in NJ and my power went out a couple of days ago. Since I have limited access to everything and I am sure others do as well, will HP make adjustments for those of us in this situation. I just wanted to see if there would be a way to level the playing field for those of us without power until potentially November 4th. I write this from my local HS cafeteria that is offering hot showers and wifi. Even Starbuck's free wifi wasn't working.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't believe so. Especially since HubPages has members from all over the World.

StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That would be sad news.

3. WebsiteConfetti profile image64
    WebsiteConfettiposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately I don't think Hub Pages can extend the contest, because as sad as it is, I think from time to time, different people from different parts of the world will be affected with power outages and things like that so making exceptions for one area of the world, will mean that they will need to make the same allowances to other parts of the world.

Last year, something like 95% of my state was under flood water.  I was extremely fortunate that I lived in that 5% safe area, but I know of other hubbers who were affected and had no power, and in some cases no homes, due to the floods and as a result were on a Hub Pages hiatus for months.

Sorry to hear that you been affected by the hurricane. Cant imagine what it must be like.  I hope things go back to normal for you  really soon !

You bring up a really good point. At some point at any time of the year people are dealing with some issue that can affect posting. I guess I will have to find a way to work around it.

4. somethgblue profile image86
    somethgblueposted 5 years ago

Shouldn't all of mankind be affected by this all too perfect Hurricane, consider the far too many coincidences involved in this atrocity and employ critical thinking when deciding if your are willing to accept the official version.

Let's not be so quick to discern how such an event could transpire on the eve of Election Day 2012. This storm was predicted a week in advance and behaved precisely as predicted.

Is the future of mankind written in stone?

5. padmendra profile image46
    padmendraposted 5 years ago

This  tragic news  where more than 6 million homes affected across the US  killing many people has shattered  our hearts as well. This Hurricane Sandy is a huge cause of concern. I personally  feel upset over this super storm sandy  and pray  for  the  people of US to be safe. Hope everyone who are affected from  this unfortunate devastation will come back to their normal life very soon.

As a part of this world, everyone of us should do whatever they could do for the welfare of survivors and contribute in any  form  like  suggesting  contest by HP etc.

I think that everyone is thinking along the same lines. We all just want everyone to be safe.

6. Greensleeves Hubs profile image97
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 5 years ago

It would I think be wrong to extend the competition for this reason Stephanie, especially if the delays caused are only for a matter of a few days. Such hardships and lack of connection may be rare for people in the Eastern USA, but HubPages is a global website, and there are many millions of people elsewhere, including presumably many thousands of HubPage members who will frequently experience deprivations of Internet connection, either through  events such as storms or through routine power failures. Indeed there will be many in poorer countries or disadvantaged communities who cannot afford continuous Internet connection or who write on shared computers because they do not have a computer of their own. They are at a disadvantage in all aspects of writing for HubPages, let alone participating in contests.
    However, be that as it may, the effects on the Eastern seaboard have been shocking, and many lives I know have been devastated or lost. I know of some hubbers who live in this part of America, and I sincerely hope all - and their families - have come through unscathed. I trust as a community all HubPage members send their sympathies to those who have been affected by this disaster.

You do provide an interesting perspective. I agree that there are always some misfortune we must deal with or others.

working