jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

I just placed a Google Search Engine on My Old Website

1. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 8 years ago

I've had this website since the late 90s. It used to be my grad student website, but when I finished grad school I transferred it to a private spot on Well.com. I never made a penny off that site in all these years.

What can I expect from Google Search? What do I need to know? I have no experience with this. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I'm not linking the site here so as to not be overly promotional.

1. Eileen Hughes profile image85
      Eileen Hughesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I may be wrong but if you dont get traffic to that site then the idea of earning anything will not work.  No traffic no money.
      So you wouldhave to promote it somewhere.  I had blogs and with no traffic a search has no one to search in it.

Aya Katzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you're probably right. So far, all I've done to promote it is place a link on my Hubpages profile.

2. Marisa Wright profile image100
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Adding the Google search box to your site won't do anything - it doesn't attract traffic, it only gives your readers a convenient avenue to find things. 

Your site is just a profile, it's not really a website from what I can see.  The design is very basic and not visually attractive.  If you want traffic, you need content that people are searching for, and there doesn't seem to be much there that people would type into search engines.

In fact, from the first page the site looks fairly empty, because it's not immediately obvious there is a lot of content behind the links. 

I agree you have a lot to learn - what is your goal?

There is actually a lot content on that site, including a whole novel, but I agree it's hard to see that from the first page.

My goal is to keep doing more or less what I have been doing (writing, editing. linguistics and ape language studies) only this time around to make a little income off of it!

2. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 8 years ago
  3. shibashake profile image90
    shibashakeposted 8 years ago

Hello Aya,

It looks a lot like my webpage in grad school smile

The thing that helped me the most is to go look at other hubber's blogs and websites. Marisa has a very well designed site. Also check out Janet21's sites - they are great and she does very well at monetizing them.

Shibashake, thanks for the tips. I'll check out Marisa's site and Janet21's!

working