jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

How long can a hub be?

1. mcbel profile image76
    mcbelposted 5 years ago

How long can a hub be?

2. dailytop10 profile image92
    dailytop10posted 5 years ago

my longest hub was about 4k words...I think there's no maximum..I don't know about the minimum though.

3. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 5 years ago

As long as you want. I've got a couple that are over 4000 words long. If you want search engine traffic, then ideally you need to be writing hubs of at least 800 words.

4. Marisa Wright profile image97
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

Minimum should be around 500 words, maximum as long as you like.  HOWEVER, research suggests that on the internet, people's eyes glaze over at about the 1,500 word mark and readers are likely to click away at that point.   

Also, you will increase your chances of attracting readers with a larger number of Hubs - so in general, you'd be better off splitting your article into several 1,000 word Hubs and interlinking them.

5. Greensleeves Hubs profile image97
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 5 years ago

I think the advice from Marisa regarding the disadvantage of long hubs makes a lot of sense, and I'm sure it's true.

However, I guess the length of a hub has to be dictated by the amount of information you need to include in it, and whether or not you can easily split it into smaller hubs. I recently published a hub about the history of 30 favourite Christmas carols. Maybe I should have limited it to 20, because by the time I'd finished it was over 10,000 words! Still, I'm happy with it.

Most of my hubs are actually a few thousand words long, and I think very short hubs are not a good idea if you want to make a good impression on Google. I know myself that when searching for information on Google, it's really annoying wasting time hitting on loads of pages with tiny amounts of info, rather than a good authoritative page. I think Google recognises that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image97
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your example might be an exception, but it's rare to find a subject that can't be split into sections or chapters. Just guessing, but perhaps those carols could have been divided into carols from different countries, or carols about different themes?

2. dragonflyfla profile image77
      dragonflyflaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that short pages are annoying but....long pages are also annoying. User studies show that most users will not read a lot of text in a single block. If you article is long be sure to break it up in sections or with images.

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image97
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That would have been difficult Marisa in this case, but the nature of my hub means people don't have to read it all. Most would just read about the few carols which interest them. But I fully agree that dividing long hubs generally makes good sense.

6. ib radmasters profile image61
    ib radmastersposted 5 years ago

I did one a while back that was over 200K words.
    I took it down, it was a nightmare to edit, it took forever.

7. dragonflyfla profile image77
    dragonflyflaposted 5 years ago

You are doing yourself a disavantage to not break it up into 3-4 articles. Get a series going on - this will give you more page views.

8. mary615 profile image94
    mary615posted 5 years ago

I think around 1500 words is good.  I read a Hub recently that just went on and on and on.  I was pretty bored and just quit.  Readers don't like to spend a long time reading an article. 
    Articles can be too short and not give enough info, and that is not good, either.  You would expect a poem or a recipe to be shorter.

9. Sullen91 profile image79
    Sullen91posted 5 years ago

It depends on the topic. A hub about recipes would fizzle out after 500 words because it's just a list of ingredients and directions. A hub explaining how to make money on hubpages could go 1,000 - 1,500 words; e.g. "ten ways to make more money on hubpages" and100 words on each idea. A hub about history should be no less than 1500 words. An analytical essay deconstructing a topic can go several thousand words. But the question is, how long can a hub be without scaring 88.32% of your readers at the thought of so much reading.

working