Why does my hub keep saying it is a duplicate? It is my work. I even made many c

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (33 posts)
  1. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 11 years ago

Why does my hub keep saying it is a duplicate? It is my work. I even made many changes many times.

I deleted it, rewrote it and tried to publish it again, after having made many changes. Still it says duplicate. It should not say this. It is my work.

2. carol7777 profile image74
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

I had the same problem and contested it..They finally accepted the work.  Their tracker picks up the words and phrases so I believe.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

If you have not published on any other site, even parts of it, then contact staff and ask them to review it. By mindful that if you used quotes, this may also trigger the filter.

The automatic filters will sometimes flag a hub if they find about 20% of the words appearing somewhere else.

4. Emanate Presence profile image69
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

This can be a frustrating problem. Each time it has happened to me, there actually has been a good reason. I don't know if it will apply to your case, but will tell you my experience.

By the time I came to Hubpages last summer, my writing that filled the first few hubs had been on several of my own web sites, posted on forums, etc. over the years.

Understanding that HP wants no duplicate content because it lowers the ranking in Google searches, I always removed my writing on the subject (where the wording was substantially similar) from other sites before publishing a new hub.

Or at least I thought I did. In one case, I had posted my whole story of Didgeridoo and the Flute in a forum a few years ago and forgotten all about it. The Duplicate Content warning came up. I wrote to the HP Team and asked for specifics. They gave me the URL where the duplicate content was posted. I went to the forum, removed the post, and was able to publish the hub without problem.

Currently one of my writings is on a site without my permission. An older woman picked up my poem and posted it as a memorial to her twin brother who passed. It was originally on GeoCities, which Yahoo! dropped. Then someone in the Netherlands picked up the content and published it as ReoCities. The HP Team has been quite helpful and supportive. They suggested I file a complaint to have the duplicate content removed. I have written several times with no response. But that is something between me and the person who is using my writing. Hubpages is cool about it. I understand why I cannot publish the hub until the duplicate content is removed. Now all my new hubs are entirely original to Hubpages, and I have not seen the duplicate content warning for quite some time.

Thomas, I suggest you dig into your memory to see if the content could actually be online somewhere. Did you write the hub brand new, or borrow from previously written material? Do you quote heavily from online sources?

When I did a Google search for some of my writing, it came up with the site where it was still published and I did not have to bother the Team. You could try that, use a search engine to see if the wording is 'out there somewhere' that you did not know about.

But, if all else fails, ask the HP Team for the URL where they find the duplicate content. They probably get tons of email, but they have been kind to answer mine.

thomasczechposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your help. I will google and see. I did have this particular hub posted on another blog but did remove it prior to publishing it on hubpages.

5. rfmoran profile image71
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

After you've written a large volume of work on the web in various places, including your own blog, it's inevitable that your memory slips and you repeat a phrase or two that you've written before - He, they're your words. The best way is to either locate the duplicate content and delete it or file a complaint if it's a plagiarizer. If it's your content, just rewrite it or remove the original.

1. profile image0
      Vickiwposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is so interesting, and makes perfect sense of course. It has not happened to me, but I will certainly keep it in the forefront of my mind, as a lot of us do not only write for HP. Thanks for your explanations, fellow Hubbers. Always great people

6. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

This can also happen when someone reposts your Hub without your knowledge.  The Hubpages team will take notice and change the classification if that is the case.  I think there's even a new category on the stats page to fit that situation.

But the software detects the duplication automatically, and it may take a while for the humans on the team to figure the situation out and react, which can make for an annoying delay.  I think they do their best, so one must just suck it up and be patient.  (Though when this happened to me, I'm not sure I really exemplified my own advice--the Hub was topical, and was pulling views like crazy, so I hated to have it offline even for a moment, let alone a day or so.)

7. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 11 years ago

I have had it happen several times, and I have not been able to determine how to revise it. There is no help from hp on what triggered it.

The longer the hub the more difficult it is to figure out where they concluded Duplicate or exactly which text capsule might be suspect.

good luck

1. cascoly profile image60
      cascolyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i've always found hp support helpful -- easy way to check your hub is copy 4-5 lines of text directly into google & see what pops up.  i've seen where i delete an amazon rev, but other sites continue to show it.  HP always eventually approves

8. Mr Nice profile image77
    Mr Niceposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7631905_f260.jpg

~ Originality is undetected plagiarism.  ~ William Ralph Inge

If you tried everything and it is still showing as duplicate. Then check the title of your Hub sometimes it is just the title. To find out if this Hub is unique or duplicate visit this link.... plagiarisma.net/ type in your url and click check url, just wait until the scan is finished. You can copy and paste the whole content to check for duplicate content too.

The result will give you a complete report with links of the sites your content is published and if not it will say it is unique. Best of all it is free to use. I hope this info will help solve the problem.

~ If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from many it's research.
    ~ Wilson Mizner

thomasczechposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. That is great info. I will use it.

2. Mr Nice profile image77
      Mr Niceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome, I just shared my personal experiences.

9. sweetie1 profile image50
    sweetie1posted 11 years ago

This can be simply because you might have published the same on some other site or even this site only.

10. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Usually it means you have published a large portion of the hub on another site or as what happened to me once, another person copied and pasted my hub on another site under (their) name.
    I contacted the HubPages team and asked about the "duplication" and they emailed me the url. It was fairly easy to prove I was the original writer by looking at dates of each published article. I emailed the other party and insisted they removed my article from their site.

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just found three of my Hubs copied; even my personal photographs.  I filed complaints a week ago, but have not heard back from Google.  I'm afraid these are going to show as a duplicate.

2. profile image0
      number2sonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow.

11. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

This happened to me once. Turns out that a member of the neighborhood association posted the entire article on the association's blog site. I had emailed the link to friends, associates, and family, like I always do. It was a Christmas eve nightmare until I was able to get hold of him and asked him to take it down and  use the link only for posting. It's really scary when the assumption is that YOU did something wrong.

1. Doc Snow profile image89
      Doc Snowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was what I hated about the process:  the initial presumption was that I had copied someone, when the truth was exactly the opposite.  But luckily, publication dates told the tale very clearly.

2. profile image0

Good thing it got cleared up.  When something like that happens, it's good to know that you are in the right, and if the truth ever comes out, people will know that you are in the right.

12. thoughtfulgirl2 profile image83
    thoughtfulgirl2posted 11 years ago

I have no idea why this would say this.  A similar thing happened to me:  my hub (Prang Water Based Brush Markers) says it has a broken link.  I checked it and could find no broken links.  Maybe a computer glitch?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

13. ArtzGirl profile image73
    ArtzGirlposted 11 years ago

I've had this issue with a couple of new articles that I've written that shared videos from a previous article.  They may have a certain percentage of videos, links -- that can not be duplicated from one article to the next.

14. profile image0
    number2sonposted 11 years ago

I really don't know.  Sorry I couldn't help.

15. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 11 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I have written to hp and await a reply. I have also used plagiarisma.net and it highlighted a couple of areas but said my article was 83% original. I made changes by rewording those areas and tried to publish it again...still no luck. I hope hp will come through for me. This is so frustrating.

1. profile image0

Hopefully your problem gets solved.

2. cascoly profile image60
      cascolyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

was the text that you found your own?  if not, 17% non original may be enough to get it flagged

HP support has been realy helpful in resolving these sorts of problems, as long as you explain as much as you know

3. profile image0

That might be the problem, even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

16. Angela Blair profile image69
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

I had this happen to me and discovered some of the information I'd used was already up on the internet -- which I didn't know and hadn't researched. It's my understanding that if a piece is in any way similar to something already up on the internet it will be deemed "duplicate" and it doesn't matter whether you wrote it or not. This was my experience -- hope it helps!

1. profile image0

That is my experience too.

17. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

Interesting responses, all understandable.  I have a different issue because of the kinds of hubs I write.  I am currently having a dilly of a time with HP over this.  I am writing about what went on behind the scenes in the development of the U.S. Constitution.  My source is James Madison's journal of the event available in the Library of Congress; it is the only source and is basically an outline of the proceedings, quotes of some of the speakers, and quotes of documents submitted, e.g., the Virginia Plan and the Pinckney Plan.

What I am trying to do is weave a story through Madison's notes quoting his material as needed to provide context, texture, and substance.  When I want to show how much of the Pinckney Plan, which know one has ever heard of, ended up in the final product, how do I do that without presenting the plan itself, as replicated by Madison?  DUPLICATE!  Or, how do I get across the sense of the disagreements between Mr. G. Morris (PA) and Mr. E. Randolph (VA) over States Rights without using their words?  Get my drift?  It is a conundrum for sure.

What I have to do to get passed that hated word is cherry-pick enough quotes to keep the flavor and meaning of those who argued about the Constitution and paraphrase the rest, hoping I don't bungle it too badly as to make readers think I am inserting my own bias.

In any case, one must march on.

18. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i have the same problem with one of my hub. If i am not wrong, i think it is due to the sentence that i write is similar to other sites that doesn't belong to me; eg: wikipedia., Hence, HP consider it duplicate. The only way to rectify this problem is change or add other words into the sentence . You can check out your post whether it has the same sentence in other sites.

19. theodoresumrall profile image58
    theodoresumrallposted 11 years ago

Sometimes it is necessary that you check for similar content already posted in hubpages.com before actually publishing your work.

Good luck

1. profile image0

That makes sense.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)