jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Is it okay to use images from social media websites like Facebook to my hub arti

1. dscarcha profile image60
    dscarchaposted 4 years ago

Is it okay to use images from social media websites like Facebook to my hub articles?

2. hrymel profile image86
    hrymelposted 4 years ago

If they are your own personal images then yes, otherwise you need permission to use someone else's work.

dscarchaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer hrymel. :-)

3. coleikerd profile image82
    coleikerdposted 4 years ago

The simple rule is: If you don't own it, don't use it.

Most social media sites offer copyright protection to the uploader. If you load it, it is yours. Unless the uploader specifically states that other people can use it, it is theirs and theirs alone.

There are exceptions, some of them strange. Facebook TOS says that they also own what you post. So if you post a picture of you, they get away with letting other people share your post with the rest of Facebook. Even under these conditions though, taking someone else's work there and posting it here, could get you into trouble.

If you really need an image that you cannot make, there are ways to know what you can use. Without getting too complex:

What you want to look for is the copyright restriction of the image. It will tell you the terms that are okay. If there isn't anything listed, don't use it.

If the copyright info says "Public Domain", you can use it without restriction.
    If it's "Creative Commons", there will be information listed on how the owner is okay with you using it. Some allow you to make money off of it, some don't.
    If it's "Royalty Free", most places are selling the image, but there is no charge per use. Just a charge upon purchase.

In the end, do a little digging, and if you don't know, don't risk it.

Thank you for your informative answer coleikerd.  God bless!

2. coleikerd profile image82
      coleikerdposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. I hope it helps. There are a lot of free resources out there too. Check out wikimedia commons and keep your eyes peeled.

3. dscarcha profile image60

Thanks for that coleikerd! I just visited that site and yes, it really helps. Thanks again! :-)

4. coleikerd profile image82
      coleikerdposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome again. smile

working