Are we all too trusting of what we read here believing everyone does thorough re

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Sphinxs Sanctum profile image59
    Sphinxs Sanctumposted 5 years ago

Are we all too trusting of what we read here believing everyone does thorough research?

I'm sure that most of us do our very best to gather our research from reliable sources but are some folks just repeating the rubbish posted in other articles around the web by other "Non-Experts?"  A few of the things I've read here recently I KNEW to be incorrect, leading people astray & I just hope that those readers seeking facts aren't always hanging their hat on what they see on HP or any content sites.  When encouraged to write many hubs in a short period of time, there's certain to be a higher rate of inaccurate info unless the hub is of the writer's own experience. Is 30 in 30 2-much?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yeah. I think so. Besides most of the responses are biased. Doesn't help the decision any.

3. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I do think people need to be cautious about what they believe, but that applies even to stuff presented by SOME experts.   I've seen material presented by experts/authorities that either misses something important or presents something misleading.   Of course, on a site like this there's a whole lot more bad information than one authority sites in general.

There's a problem, though, that, to me, seems like it may have gotten worse with the "new" emphasis on "first-person writing being crap". I specifically limit my subjects to only those in which I have read, researched or experienced first hand in the past.  I stay away from the whole world of other subjects because I only have enough time (and only want to spend enough time) writing from what I know.  I'm very careful about what I'll call "knowing", and I make sure that if I present something as fact it can easily be backed up I'm asked to, or anyone else wants to check for himself.  I've been writing and researching for over thirty five years.  There are a few subjects in which I have quite a bit of experience.  I'm someone who reads when I run into something in my personal life and someone who reads just out of interest in those subjects I care about.  I'm not young, and I've had a whole lot of things (good and bad) happen in my life a whole lot more than some of the same things ever happen in a lot of people's lives.

BUT, when I write a Hub I often write a first-hand thing because I want to make it very clear that I'm writing from my experience/learning - not from research done specifically for the Hub.  People can decide if they only want "expert" or want something different.  What I often see these days, though, is people writing from personal opinion/experience but maybe being too afraid to write in first person.  As a result, they'll write stuff that one would know no expert would ever say.  These days a lot of stuff implies "expert", and without it being (at least in some places) in first-person it seems like the author is being a little deceitful.

It's really important for a person to know his subject, or at least know research sources, well enough to be able to recognize what's solid and what may not be.  Experienced writers know how to find the legitimate resources. People with little writing experience and/or no interest in the subject aren't as skilled at finding the most reliable sources.

I don't see much value in regurgitated info unless it's really in-depth and complete.

4. annart profile image88
    annartposted 5 years ago

I'm sure that does happen and I don't see the point in writing 30 in 30.  I'd rather take my time and produce decent stuff.
    I've seen hubs that haven't been well researched and I've read some that are obviously straight off the net.  There are many people who do believe just about anything written here, in papers, wherever.  We owe our readers honesty and integrity and therefore all our hubs should be researched thoroughly.  I tend to stick to what I already know; it's a lot easier (yes, I'm lazy!).  If you acknowledge it's purely your own experience, apart from good professional facts, then people can take you as you are and weigh up your advice/expertise.  Good question.

5. Paul Maplesden profile image66
    Paul Maplesdenposted 5 years ago

As with anything else, unless something is cited and referenced, just read it as opinion and do your own research to verify the facts. The articles that I write are purely based on my own experience and research, and I have written them in good faith, however I wouldn't expect others to use my guides 'as is' because they would need to adapt them to their own needs and circumstances.

6. PCGaminghub profile image69
    PCGaminghubposted 5 years ago

HubPages is not an encyclopedia. I think Hunter S. Thompson gave us at least a glimpse of what journalism can be like when it isn't dull, rigid and overly objective.

Writing is also about creating, provoking stimuli and entertaining readers. Not just about information.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)