jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you like short stories? Interesting subjects....

1. sofs profile image83
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Do you like short stories? Interesting subjects....

2. Rishy Rich profile image75
    Rishy Richposted 7 years ago

Yes, a lot. I used to read a lot when I was a teenager. Gradually my choice shifted to non-fiction. Sci-fi & detective stories were two of my fav.

3. Shawn Scarborough profile image85
    Shawn Scarboroughposted 7 years ago

I love short stories.  I like being able to read the entire story in one sitting instead of taking days to read a novel  My favorite short story author is Edgar Allen Poe.

4. profile image55
    tlmntim9posted 7 years ago

I love short stories, especially the ones I write as it is always a suprise to me to learn how it is going to end.
    Tim W

5. JayeWisdom profile image93
    JayeWisdomposted 7 years ago

I enjoy reading short stories, and also have tried my hand at writing a few. When I get a bit more "spare" time, I hope to write more of them.

The short story form is a challenge to develop and bring to closure in only 1,000 to 1,500 words, average. Short story writers who are most successful seem to:  (1) use a lot of dialogue, and (2) end the story with a surprising twist.

6. profile image49
    Angela Blackberryposted 7 years ago

Christopher-what I suggest you do is read/record your story by reading it out loud onto a tape or any digital voice recording that you have or can borrow, read it the way you think it should be read. Then play it back to yourself and see if it makes sense (you will know)- ask someone else to listen as well then discuss it together to see if what your story was about and how they concieved it-did your meaning come across to them and you? if so then it will have made sense.
    If not then amend what you need to to correct it-the joy of writing a story is to create a character and let him or her move through it depending on their little imperfections-good luck-
    'Dont count the words but make every word count'
    Angela Blackberry

7. Genna East profile image89
    Genna Eastposted 7 years ago

Shorty stories are a passion of mine.  Writing them can be challenging, but I love to read stories that are well written and make us feel and think, and enable us to learn from shared experiences.

8. FloraBreenRobison profile image58
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I love to read short stories at night time.  This allows me to read at night without the risk of getting so into a novel that I finish it before going to bed.  Insomniacs don't need any extra help...