jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do you know why when "Impressions" increase, the CPM mostly decreases?

1. Taleb80 profile image82
    Taleb80posted 5 years ago

Do you know why when "Impressions" increase, the CPM mostly decreases?

I read many about this but still not get it.

2. Theophanes profile image97
    Theophanesposted 5 years ago

If I understand it correctly it has to do with how long a person spends looking at your article. Say for example 10 people click your article but 4 people give it a glance and decide that's not what they're looking for and click away almost immediately. In this case the impression, those that spend more than a few seconds looking at your article, and who scroll past/see all your ads, is going to be 6. Impressions are better than just clicks. That is what you're going for so be happy if it's getting higher. You'll only be paid for ads that had a chance to be seen. If they are on a part of the page that requires scrolling then a single click that immediately clicks away is not going to do you any good. I hope that clears it up for you.

1. cascoly profile image60
      cascolyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

nope - impressions are merely the number of people who looked at your hub - time doesnt matter;  cpm is based on the number who clicked on an ad from your site -- 2 entirely different stats, and the correlation will vary based on your content.

2. Theophanes profile image97
      Theophanesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Bah, these things get more complicated by the day. I swear. Just as I think I got it... thank you cascoly for clearing that up.

3. sm825 profile image60
    sm825posted 5 years ago

I think  or from at least my experiences when you get more viewers a decent amount of them tend to not find an interesting advert. So less people will click on them and thus lowering the amount you earn for every 1,000 views. This is just my guess, since I have experienced this before as well.

But for viewers not sticking around long enough can tie into them not seeing an advert that may interest them.

working