jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Does Wikipedia Make Money?

1. cuttler profile image58
    cuttlerposted 4 years ago

Does Wikipedia Make Money?

Does Wikipedia make money and if so how does it do it because I have never seen ads on Wikis.

2. cydro profile image88
    cydroposted 4 years ago

Every once in awhile they ask for donations.  In the past they have placed headers on just about every page that say something like "A personal request from Wikipedia's founder" or something.  It's pretty incredible they find a way to do what they do with the limited staff/servers they have.

Wikipedia really prides itself in not having ads, so you'll probably never find one.

1. Brandon E Newman profile image72
      Brandon E Newmanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wikipedia exists solely on donations.

2. cuttler profile image58
      cuttlerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I always wondered how they manage to stay afloat. It such a great job they are doing. Maybe one day I can also donate to them. Thanks for the info.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 4 years ago

They're sustained by donations.  Personally, it wouldn't bother me at all if they started displaying ads, but it's their choice to be ad-free.

1. cuttler profile image58

Goes to show that for some people money isn't everything. Good will is what keeps them going and that makes me love it more. Thanks for sharing mate.

4. Vanika Knowles profile image56
    Vanika Knowlesposted 4 years ago

As already mentioned, Wikipedia does not deal with ads but solely on donations from its supporters. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

1. BlossomSB profile image92
      BlossomSBposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It certainly is amazing, they have useful information on so many topics.

2. cuttler profile image58

Sure BlossomSB. The information there is just immense. I bet it is the primary source of information for many people.
      Vanika, thanks for dropping by and for the info. As u said, it truly is amazing. Viva Wikipedia

working