On your hubs and other online articles, do you use your own photos or from anoth

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Blond Logic profile image94
    Blond Logicposted 11 years ago

On your hubs and other online articles, do you use your own photos or from another source?

If you use them from another source, do you use the free version where you have to place a credit or do you pay for stock photos so you can use them without? Alternatively do you use sites that allow you do use without a credit?

Clipart Clkr

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7889693_f260.jpg

2. yougotme profile image89
    yougotmeposted 11 years ago

If often use my own photos in my hubs. But in case I need to get from external sources, I just get from creative commons, so that I will no longer need to pay.

Blond Logicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your own pictures are by and far the easiest choice. Thankfully so many people have others  to use their photos. On Flickr, I have asked people and almost all have allowed usage with a link back to their photostream. Have a great Sunday.

3. JimTxMiller profile image75
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

If at all possible, I use my own original photos. For pics I cannot provide on my own, my go to source is Wikimedia Commons. I never buy stock photos. This applies to my work on HP as well as my personal blogs.

Hello Jim,
      I too have used this. I asked the question because I often see photos with no link or credit. Thanks for your answer.

4. gags3480 profile image61
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

For all the recipe hubs I post, I generally use my own pics. But, sometimes I take some pictures from Google India's official picture gallery.

Sometimes when do a recipe you need help! Try mixing, holding the bowl and taking a pic at the same time. It isn't easy! From Google India you still need a credit, don't you? Thanks for your input.

5. nicregi profile image66
    nicregiposted 11 years ago

It really depends. For me, I prefer own photos. However, in the case where I can't find a suitable one, Google is always a good friend of mine and just find the suitable one.

Hello Nicregi,
      With Google, do you follow the link and see if it has 'rights reserved'? Some  aren't available to be used without payment or a credit.  Often it is difficult to photograph something that we need for a hub. Great to hear from you.

6. Don Bobbitt profile image83
    Don Bobbittposted 11 years ago

I am also a photographer, so I try to use my own Pics as much as possible. But, reality drives a writer to other sources at times, for just the right pic that reflects your story. With these, I ALWAYS place credits on the Pic.

Hi Don,
      I do try to use my own too but as you say, sometimes it just isn't possible. I wish my camera skills were better as well. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

7. btrbell profile image88
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

I have had so much trouble sourcing my photos that I have decided to go with only originals. I have used fotolia where I had credit or chose from their free images, also but have found its much easier to use my own. Now I take pictures everywhere I go so I can build up a good stock of photos

Hi Btrbell,
      It can be exasperating looking for a suitable photo sometimes. It sounds like you have found the solution. Thanks for the answer.

8. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

I do a bit of both.  I am a Photoshop junkie and so I tend to create my own custom graphics for hubs, sometimes from photos I've taken and other times from stock photos or even from scratch.

Hi Christin,
      May I ask you a question? Do you feel your time is better spent using Photoshop and creating images or writing? Writing and designing both are creative pursuits but where do you draw a line, or do you?

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I devote most of my time to writing, but I work as both a designer and a writer, so my time is well spent doing both in my opinion smile

9. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I try to use my own when I can.  I do use free public domain pictures when my own are not what I think works well for the article.

Yes, sometimes it is difficult to capture just what we need.
      There are many talented photographers, and designers who are kind to allow us usage of their work. Thank you for your answer.

10. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 11 years ago

I always use my own photos.  There are times when I don't have a photo that matches my hub piece and in that case I don't use any photo.  I am always worried about copyright.

It is a difficult call. People love photos but often it is difficult to know who owns the copyrights. I once contacted someone about using a drawing I liked, he said I could use it but it wasn't his! Thanks for your answer.

11. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7854472_f260.jpg

In most of my hubs I use my own photos . As we travel i take heaps for future reference which I enjoy doing . otherwise I google "Free photos" one below I took by Lagos in portugal recently !

Nice shot.  Thanks for sharing with us.

12. kallini2010 profile image78
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

I am very picky about images and you can easily see it if you look at any of my hubs.  I need a message to convey an emotion or a message in an exact way that I want otherwise I don't want a photo at all.

But when I say I am picky, I am only picky about what is on the photo and how it makes me feel.  Giving credits is hell in my case because most images that I use have been "stolen" long before me.  And at some time I did not eve pay attention to credits on the photo itself.  It was never my idea to say that I created these images, I simply can't and isn't it obvious?  I don't get paid just because I used someone else's image that I found on a site that is specifically created for collecting photos.

I agree that using my own photos would the easiest way in terms all this "ownership", but I can't make photos I want or need.

I used to make collections/selections on vi.sualize.com and when I mentioned my source once (the web-site), I was told not to disclose it because others will immediately follow in my footsteps and start using my beautiful photos.

But if you look at anyone there making his own selections/collections you can clearly see that every collection describes a person.

And right now, I am clearly in between.  I realize it is only a matter of time before I might be punished for unauthorized usage of  images and I still don't have a good contingency plan.  The only thing that keeps me in line - I no longer create too many hubs.

I wish there was a "How To" or "Where To" simple enough instructions how and where to get the images.

I think right now we are all in a sticky, messy situation that sooner or later would be solved like the youtube.  I use videos that are not mine, but I have never pretended they were.  Wasn't it obvious that I am not taking the credit?

Yes, you are right no one wants to get hit with copyright infringement. Take a look at some hubs on where to find creative commons images. If  you go to Flickr and ask the photographer offering a link back, they are normally happy to help. Good luck.

2. kallini2010 profile image78
      kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Blondlogic, I am clearly in need in changing my strategy and that is why I answered this question.  I need as many suggestions as possible. I think everyone is struggling to find the balance when it comes to pictures. Great question!

13. AlexK2009 profile image85
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

when I can I  use my own pictures. Otherwise I look for a public domain picture.
    Since I also have a gallery where I try to sell photos  (Google Aayawa Images) using my own photos makes  more sense.

Hi Alex,
      Yes of course it would. Thanks, we will have a look.

2. AlexK2009 profile image85
      AlexK2009posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have left that site untouched for a while as I was concentrating on writing. I hope to get back to it soon

14. joanveronica profile image68
    joanveronicaposted 11 years ago

So far I have very rarely used my own photos. I didn't have a camera, which I have now bought. I'm still trying to find time to learn how to use it! That's next on my list of things to do. In the meantime I use Creative Commons and have been lucky in finding what I need, but it's time consuming! Buying photos is too complicated, as my banking is in South America, so I don't go that road at all!
    Creative Commons and Pixabay have done the trick for me!

Hello Joan,
      I too try and source what I need from these sources. It is time consuming.
      Wonderful to hear from you.

15. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Not reading other answers on a quest of answering this may be repete. I do my darndest to use my own with points of interest with hub building and Google stuff. I don't get out as much and the subjects are changing so not sure where to get the images with my camera too. Do you have some available if I am looking? You will be attributed naturally with a CC-BY-ND-NC along with a link to the source. Hopefully a hub someone may read.

Thanks

Mitch

Hi Mitch,
      There have been some excellent hubs about where to find images that are free to use. Some request a credit and others don't . I use Freedigitalphotos.net and morguefile quite a bit. FDP needs a credit, Morgue file doesn't. Thanks, good luck

16. Rosie writes profile image84
    Rosie writesposted 11 years ago

I use Flickr occassionally, but I prefer to use my own if it is possible.  I try to make sure I attribute the ones I use correctly.

I too use Flickr and almost everyone I have contacted has been helpful. It takes such a small amount of time to leave a credit. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

17. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

I use my own photos with few exceptions.

When I began hearing about people's images being stolen I decided never to use photos that identify my children or my home. I don't like the thought of them being linked to other sites or stories. Is that being paranoid?

I still have one of my kids (much younger) in my avatar though. It is a nice memory of where we lived when that hammock was well used. Brightens up my day.

Hi LTM,
      No it is definitely not being paranoid. There are cases of  photos being taken all the time.
      I am shocked when I look at sites with free photos and so many people have their children up there. Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.

18. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 11 years ago

Blond, if I don't have a photo that belongs to me, I turn to wikimedia commons first and ensure that it has the relevant license to be used commercially, then to flickr and then to freedigitalphotos.
    However I ensure that I always attribute the pictures in the manner outlined.
    I never use Google because Google does not own copyrights to any picture, so attributing it to Google is incorrect and serves no purpose.

Hello,
      Although I have contacted users after following through an image on  Google, I rarely get a response. I believe whoever posted it was using it without permission possibly. Your system to source photos is commendable.

19. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 11 years ago

Early on I did not understand the importance of using photos on HP, much less of using ones I shot.  Though I now use only my own photos, this is a useful discussion. 
    If a person has a creative streak, working with one's own photos can be a distraction, but a good one.  smile

Yes, I think you are right. I read that if a person has writer's block, it is good to do something else as long as it is creative. Perhaps the two go hand in hand. Thanks for your thought on the subject.

20. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

Like to use my own photos mostly, but sometimes it isn't possible so wikkimedia commons helps.

Hi tirelesstraveler,
      Wikimedia is getting mentioned a lot here. It seems one of the best 'go to sources' for pictures. Thanks for this.

21. sangre profile image94
    sangreposted 11 years ago

I use photos from acrediated sites and I give credit to the photographer.  I would love to use my own, but at present I haven't the time to do that.

Time is a big factor. We all have to follow our strengths. It is a win-win situation, the photographer gets a mention and you have a suitable photo to use. Thanks for your answer.

22. dorothy0328 profile image76
    dorothy0328posted 11 years ago

I have to say in the past I have used  free versions of photo content as well as some from a paid for program. Now that I am writing recipes as hubs more frequently I am using my own photo's that I have taken of the meal as it was served or just after preparing.

Recipes usually want the process as well as the finished dish. This can be a problem, I have found. One needs a helper. Sourcing high quality images can prove difficult. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

2. dorothy0328 profile image76
      dorothy0328posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also include the process in my hubs typed.  However I am thinking that if I use several pics taken during the cooking process it will give my reader the big picture and maybe help them understand exactly what it is I am doing in the hub.

3. Blond Logic profile image94

I have done this and it isn't easy! Try taking a photo when you have to continue stirring a pan. A tripod and a remote shutter would help. Good luck with your hubs.

4. dorothy0328 profile image76

Well that's where my fiance' comes in to play he loves to take the pics for me I will be giving him the credit on any pics he takes that I use so it all works out for me.

5. Blond Logic profile image94

It sounds like the perfect arrangement.

6. dorothy0328 profile image76

Yes it works out quite well now I just need to get moving on the hubs to go with the pictures.

23. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

I generally purchase photos from istockphoto.com.  I always put in a search, choose least expensive from the moveable bar on the left side and then purchase individually.  They used to offer only the option of buying a group of credits, but if you keep clicking when you pay, you can purchase an image individually.  I pick the smallest pixel size and don't pay more than $2.  I figure the $2 is worth my time and effort.  I have been using these for our educational software and website, blog, etc. They have BEAUTIFUL photo images if you're building a website and want photos of happy people shopping, etc.  You can make your website look very professional with these.  I'm going to start using tiles for a part of our company's website and use those photos.  You need to be CAREFUL with istock that you use the picture in one place for each purchase.  A friend was charged by istock for multiple web useage.However, they have a liberal license for things like T-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.   I recently discovered WDclipart.com which is run by one individual and has PUBLIC DOMAIN royalty free images that are good for kids' projects, fruits, vegetables, cartoons.  There is a DONATE button there and I use that because I've used a great number of images there for the matching games in our software.  It would be nice if we could use each others' pictures here on hubpages.  Maybe they should set up a central gallery where we put pictures of our own that we wouldn't mind for others to use.  For example, I have adorable pictures of my dog Scooter which I wouldn't mind sharing.  I do take some of my own pictures. For one of my recent hubs, I needed pictures from around my house, so that worked out nicely.  Oh, years ago, I used to go to clipart.com.  You can buy a monthly subscription there and download until your heart's content during that time.  So istockphoto.com, WDclipart.com, and clipart.com are the ones I use the most.

Perhaps you should contact them about starting ' Hubphotos'. You are the 1st to answer, that has paid for photos. I think it makes a difference to the overall look, as  a credit such as 'freedigitalphotos'  makes the piece look unprofessional.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

BL, I meant to say in my comment "I put in a search at istockphoto.com and then use the scroll bar to adjust pictures to my price range. They have a NICE search engine on that site. I'll write to hubpages. If not, if hubbers wanted, I have a website.

3. Blond Logic profile image94

If you want to put a link here, to your site, please do.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm in re-construction of my site of 20 years so it's a bit wonky now, and I don't have the titles yet, but I have just converted my site to www.languagerocks.com., www.leftpawedpuppy.com, www.windmillworks.com/theawesomegamepage.

24. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 11 years ago

I have used by own photos when I have had them, but other times I have used some from Flikr with creative commons licenses. I don't see the issue with placing a credit. I would never pay for a photograph, not on hubpages anyway. I suppose I might one day if I ever get round to making my own company, with its own website (I have an idea for one, but haven't managed to get on to it)

On Flickr even if it has an 'all  rights reserved', I have asked the photographer and all but one has said, I was free to use it.  Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

25. ketage profile image82
    ketageposted 11 years ago

So far I have only used my own photos, but I am now having the problem of finding photos for the hubs I want to write, it seems my writing interests outweigh my photo library sad
    I might have to resort to finding photos on the net, but as I am pretty new to the whole writing online thing. I do not want to accidentally infringe on anyone's copyright. So I am taking it slow. Learning as I go.

26. annart profile image83
    annartposted 10 years ago

I use my own as much as possible and I find that I'm looking around much more with a view to anything that might be useful for any future hubs.  I find using others' a chore because of having to ask permission etc. (which of course one must always do).  I do worry, though, about others using my photos without permission. 
    Sometimes photos are the starting point of hubs - you have the subject there already and just have to write!

Blond Logicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is true, inspiration from photos is a great idea.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)