jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Is it legal to copy your hub to another site if they give you credit?

1. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Is it legal to copy your hub to another site if they give you credit?

After reading questions here about copying hubs, I did some checking. I found one of my hubs, copied in its entirety on a website called For Men Only. The hub was about basic finance and using credit cards. But it did have "by duffsmom." I wrote and asked them to take it down. I figure any views it gets on that site, I won't get here and consequently won't be paid for.

Is this legal to do this if they attribute it to the author?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image85
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

No, it's not legal for them to steal your content.

3. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

No, they cannot do that legally.  Now if they just liked it to facebook, pinterest, twitter of course, where if anyone clicked on the link it would take them to your Hub on HubPages, then that is okay of course.  But if they have done that, where a person reads your content on another site, but it does not take them to your actual hub here on HP, then your HP could flag your very own hub for duplicate content on another website.

4. Lwelch profile image94
    Lwelchposted 4 years ago

No, this is not legal.  It would be like you copying a book, selling it with your name but saying "by _________ the original author".

5. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

no it isn't. First of all they didn't ask your permission, secondly they used a software called a "scraper" that takes all content verbatim, even the authors name.  You need to report them using a DMCA complaint if they don't take it down.

I really, REALLY wish hubpages would be more proactive about theft.  They leave all of that solely up to the writers and it really irks me because it is so widespread. If they had a person that worked on that issue also it would be a much happier place to write.  I get tired of constantly running people down.

I understand it's our writing etc. but they also are profiting on it and should be more helpful when it comes to fighting theft in my opinion.

1. Marie Flint profile image92
      Marie Flintposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree about HubPages needing to be more proactive. Hubs should go through a quality review process before publishing; once published, the material should be secure so it cannot be copied and pasted.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image55
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

Its not legal! It is so disappointing that it happens to someone's hard work. Every now and then, this issue is being raised here, in forums. It is the HubPages responsibility to see to it, that it does not happen in future. So much time, research and hard work goes in creating an article and then the writer's content becomes so vulnerable.

working