Evaluating Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. DrRebeccaSanders profile image78
    DrRebeccaSandersposted 5 years ago

Evaluating Hubs

As an educator, I'm experienced at providing constructive criticism for my students.  However, I'm having a difficult time giving feedback here on the hubs.  I know my students expect me to find issues and help them improve, but I'm so worried about upsetting someone who has worked hard on their hub that I can't seem to complete an evaluation.  Does anyone else have problems evaluating other hubs?  If so, how do you handle that?

2. profile image95
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 5 years ago

Hi Dr Rebecca,
                            I have both given and received criticism here on HubPages. As long as your criticism is fair and constructive I am sure it will be well received. We are all striving to produce the best content we can and sometimes it takes someone who is detached from the process to notice mistakes or places where we can improve. The criticism I received I must admit I didn't initially agree with, but after consideration I agreed with the poster and incorporated their criticism into my work.

You can always point people to an appropriate Learning Centre article if you want to cushion the blow if the criticism is negative. Happy Hubbing

Rob.

DrRebeccaSandersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Robbie - I didn't get far enough I guess to see where you could actually leave a response. Does the system allow you to do that if you're hub-hopping?

2. profile image95
      Robbie C Wilsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dr Rebecca,
                                   Hub hopping does not allow you to make comments while you are hub-hopping. The rankings you give are quite specific though and it is a good system which helps HubPages maintain its quality which is great.

3. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

Don't feel under any obligation to provide feedback or critique.  It's not an essential part of being a Hubber. As you say, there are some Hubbers who will appreciate constructive comments from an expert, but there are also many who think they are great writers and will be insulted by any suggestion they're not! 

If you're here to earn an income on HubPages, be aware that the social aspects of HubPages have very little to do with the income-generating aspects of the site.

Thank you, Marisa!  That is a relief!  Sometimes, I feel like I am on social overload with Linked In - Facebook, and now Hub Pages.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years ago

Not everybody is looking for criticism for their hubs.  If you want to critique hubs, there are several options for you.  1.  You can join Mechanical Turk and rate hubs.  You can get paid for doing the ratings.  2.  Go into the section of the forums where people are requesting critiques.  Since they are asking for the critique, they will be more receptive to feedback.

I would recommend that when you are providing information about how to improve, that you also include a large section about what is being done well.  This helps the writer focus on their strengths in order to maximize them, and also not feel like s/he is being attacked.

Personally, I welcome any feedback.

Thanks, Millionaire Tips!  I guess I should check out the forums more often.  I haven't heard of Mechanical Turk yet - where is that?

5. Don Bobbitt profile image95
    Don Bobbittposted 5 years ago

DrRebeccaSanders- Sometimes a lack of Praise is a Criticism. This is often the case on HP. You might get a "Read",but the "time" there will be short and there will be no Votes UP, or Clicks on the other categories.
    And, of course, for obviously bad articles, there are the options when you "Flag" a Hub.
    After all of this, you will often find that the actual readers comments are used to discuss rather than criticize.
    I hope this helps in some way.
    DON

Yes, thank you!  I guess I should be a little more verbose in some of my comments.  I have read some interesting hubs  - but haven't left any type of comment.  We all can use a little praise!  Maybe that will be better than hub-hopping.

6. DDE profile image27
    DDEposted 5 years ago

Criticism is important to  writers it makes them learn more about  how they write and I am open to criticism. Feedback is important. I comment on other hubs honestly

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)