Are you sure it is the Hubpages that is changing?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. VinitaAmrit profile image69
    VinitaAmritposted 10 years ago

Are you sure it is the Hubpages that is changing?

I have noticed a good amount of change in traffic of all domains that we own. There are many discussions going on that since it is hubpages that is continually changing and people are unable to sustain their traffic and earning, they should stop writing as hubbers.
    I have a strong opinion about it being one more monopoly acts of google and not hubpages. The domains owned by the organization I work at has got nothing to do with hubpages, why is its traffic affected so badly?
    Is hubpages a victim of google's monopoly or are you a victim of hubpages moodswings?

2. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 10 years ago

Mostly it is Google and pressure on Google from The Powers That Be to manipulate what the public has access to. It is blatant censorship, now to be sure TPTB want to make it appear that it is the monopoly of Google, greed and control but any with an ounce of brains knows that if the NSA can spy on all of America without anyone batting an eyelash, then the internet can be censored.

Look at the way the USGS, NASA and other government agencies manipulate data the public sees on the internet as a clue that it is being censored. Many of my articles deal with issues TPTB would rather not have the public having access to and just as they were getting popular, BOOM! Google makes some changes.

Blatant Censorship pure and simple.

1. mattforte profile image86
      mattforteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course this guy thinks the government is making Google push Hubpages down in the rankings.
      Your conspiracy theories would hold more water if you didn't have a theory for EVERYTHING. Come on - big brother doesn't give a $#@% about hubpages.

2. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

mat--- you sure are naive.   he has his fingers in EVERYTHING and wants control of IT ALL

3. somethgblue profile image72
      somethgblueposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Big Brother controls everything, if you truly understood how the planet is run you would not be wallowing in ignorance. Control is created through knowledge and those without are easily controlled as your statement shows.

3. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

It is said about woman's fashion-wear that it is a compromise between her desire to reveal her physical beauty and her modesty to conceal it. Likewise, Google's policies seem to be wavering between making best revenue through Google Adsense for which they want as much content as possible in the web and at the same time they have to be aware of the quality of information that people get on priority through Google search engine.

It is very obvious that Google is trying one thing or other to strike a balance and they are repeatedly in a quandary.  The same applies to web content sites. The more content, the more scope for placing ads. At the same time, substandard content is also not desirable. Compromise, confusion and groping in the dark!

4. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 10 years ago

It almost looks like a manual penalty is being applied to this site by Google.  None of my websites and blogs have been negatively affected during the last several months.  Too many shoddy spam blogs, scraper sites, and community writing sites rank better than this one - regardless of their quality issues.  Something seems very odd, to say the least.

VinitaAmritposted 10 years agoin reply to this

of course, as my peers said, "Someones loss is someone elses gain". When some sites will be getting less traffic and less ads, of course some others would get the benefit and will get more traffic and more ads  - in short better rank & more reven

2. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think we got lost in the translation...

Stories get blocked/censored all the time but that doesn't mean other blogs/ stories get more views, the absurdity of that statement isn't even worth exploring.

4. Insane Mundane profile image58

Yeah, I felt the same way...  How or why my answer was took that way, still amazes me...

5. btrbell profile image86
    btrbellposted 10 years ago

That's a really good question. I think that this whole field is still developing. Whether it be google's monopoly or hubpages moodswings or issues on other sites, we need to be prepared for more changes. We tend to flock to new sites everytime the wind changes.

6. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image37
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 10 years ago

@Vinita Amrith - I lost my traffic and earnings, I don't know why.

7. AlexK2009 profile image81
    AlexK2009posted 10 years ago

I note that my drop in traffic seems linked to the drop in the number of hubbers.

There may be multiple reasons for this

I suspect part of the reason for the drop in traffic is that a large community  increases the chance a random person sees your work or a hub that links to your work.

I agree other places have also had a drop in traffic.  Experts Column no longer share revenue because of this, for example (They were not a pleasant place to write anyway).

I would like to stay with Hub Pages, but I think in the end lack of traffic and the  inability to justify the increasingly strict compliance requirements here will stop me writing here.

8. Sue Bailey profile image68
    Sue Baileyposted 10 years ago

I really don't know but like the vast majority I just want my traffic and earnings back where they were.

smile so does everyone else but as btrbell commented: "Internet is yet a developing medium" and we must be willing to take more chances and be more adaptable and  creative. Good Luck to you all! - I hope you all will wish me the same.

9. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 10 years ago

I really do not know.  I do know that I became fed up with HP telling me that many of my nearly 700 hubs posted did not meet the "quality guidelines" which they had suddenly established.  They did not tell me specifically what was wrong with the individual hub but informed me that I should just read the guidelines, the review the hub, and figure it out for myself.  Their suggestions seem to circulate around photo quantities, maps, charts, and just general eye wash...essentially the content of your hub can suck but it sure is dressed up nice.  That is the point at which HP goes wrong for they show their true colors in terms of the writer.  As the writer and creator of those bits, I was happy with them the first time around.  I landed in the top 25 writers on the site over 125 times, earned over 1,000 fans,  had over 100 featured hubs, and wrote in multiple genres.  Suddenly, my traffic dropped tenfold as did my earnings. Now that might be coincidental to something Google instituted but it sure looks as if HP was a big part of it.  I have not posted anything new on HP since late June of this year as I am tired of playing their guessing game. ~WB

I believe you are not alone in that situation. Trust me there are many who have been hit. A friend of mine had to lose 50+ (most of them featured articles with hub score of over 80) to the absolute same fancies of so called hub change in rules.

2. AlexK2009 profile image81
      AlexK2009posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me HP are not concerned to keep good writers. Well, so be it. I find it a great community but in the end business is business.

Read this story and all will become clear . . .
      http://news.yahoo.com/nsa-surveillance- … 32152.html

10. rudra007 profile image77
    rudra007posted 10 years ago

I think this all is because of hubpages because there are many similar websites but my domain rank and the website domain rank remains the same there. On hubpages also it use to be the same but not now which is making it difficult for our articles to reach on first page of google search.

Dear Rudra, Please see the forum posting here http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115693 - You will be convinced it is not just Hubpages but Google (Panda). For more info with new view http://lindasmith1.hubpages.com/questio … ty-changed

11. EdSaterstad profile image87
    EdSaterstadposted 10 years ago

I have tried several different article publishing sites and noticed that my articles seem to get higher on the google search with HubPages. I have similar articles in Yahoo Voices that only get a fraction of the hits.

Google put in motion some major updates to their crawlers. When doing this they gained the ability to search sites written in a Flash format. In the past programmers had to add Meta Data in order to be recognized when their site used flash.

When this went live a ton of Web Sites that were not recognized in the past, became recognized. This could have influenced the search ranking of many pages and sites.

12. anotherleftturn profile image68
    anotherleftturnposted 10 years ago

Another factor is that there's more to traffic than just Google. Yes, it's great to have people simply stumble across my hubs because they match in a search function. But I've realized that if I want real traffic I need to go out and find it sometimes. I write 1-2 hubs a day during the week on NASCAR and submit those articles to various auto racing sites. Some link up to me, some don't. But the ones that do drive the vast majority of my daily traffic. There's interest in what I'm writing but only if I find a way to put it in front of the audience that wants it.

1. AlexK2009 profile image81
      AlexK2009posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good strategy. I am looking for sites in my writing areas, Paranormal, IT, History...   They will turn up when the time is right.

13. suzettenaples profile image90
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

I think it is a little bit of both, Google and HP and their macinations. Things change so quickly onthe Internet and I am sure it is frustrating for all these writing sites to keep up with Google's everchanging rules and algorithms.  Hub pages changes to keep up with Google, but in the meantime is driving us all crazy with it's changes to keep 'quality writing' up on this site.  I still think HP is the best place to write as of today.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

14. yarddog2k profile image60
    yarddog2kposted 10 years ago

I publish articles on several web 2.0 sites. Infobarrel, HubPages, Wizzley, and a couple of others. All my articles (except Infobarrel articles) are suffering. I firmly believe the culprit is Google and their never-ending algorithm changes. I don't know about the monopoly thing,so I won't comment on that. My firm opinion is that HubPages is making changes to try and cope with Google's mood swings. As I said, "Almost all of my published writings are suffering." It's not just HP.

1. Insane Mundane profile image58

I haven't heard 'em call it Web 2.0 in several years...  LOL!

15. lex123 profile image84
    lex123posted 10 years ago

I was wondering what is happening to my hubs suddenly, (since few  days) with the page views dropping down dramatically. Hope the problem will get solved soon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)