How long are most of your capsules?

1. Kathleen Odenthal profile image95
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 3 years ago

How long are most of your capsules?

How many capsules do you usually have in your hubs, and how long is the ideal text capsule? I know that readers will usually stop reading if the piece sounds long-winded, so I was just curious if you all had standard lengths for your text capsules.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I usually end up with five or six text capsules. I try to cover each subsection in three or four short paragraphs. My goal is present the information as concisely as possible while still getting to the important things. Most of my hubs range between 1250 and 1500 words broken down into those text capsules.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

My text capsules are with essays and prose two paragraphs generally. The opening paragraph is one capsule accompanied with the image on the right or a video full width capsule above. That presents opportunity to group capsules by two each of two paragraphs and a full width image separating those two capsules.

Next, is context highlighting one of those two text capsules with a map, poll, video, image, product, and etc capsule on the right of one of those two grouped capsules or both. The key is all the subheadings and highlighted bits of information in the text capsule with bold, italicized, and numbered / highlighted phrases. 

Reading strategies come to mind. Many are scanners and skimmers reading only the subheadings and context seeking answers or information to answer some kind of question. Overall they chunk information when reading. Once an answer is discovered with the subheadings and etc. they will pause and read the content. They read with a mindset of several questions to be answered. Once they have that information usually they bail out.

It may be studying the article itself or specific information the hub is about. Seeking the readers engagement with interacting with the article is a key. Giving cause to pause and read the content at the answer providing subheading is connecting with the reader, then gaining an interaction is sought, and next providing for reader engagement. Two paragraphs is a chunk in my designing principals. They will skim, scan, or read two paragraphs.

There are far less readers of pleasure than there are readers seeking information to answer some kind of questioning process on the internet. 'Generally speaking' overall with people if they are reading for pleasure they are doing so curled up with a book in a chair or on the couch.

Yes, there are readers of pleasure on the internet, yet they are a much smaller percentage than those seeking answering questions. Not as many as is thought curl up with a laptop, although tablets maybe. Yet, there is something about having a book in your lap still today, although trends do change. (ebooks)

[Insert opinion disclaimer here]