jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When your mind is faster than your editing /typing skills? \

1. Rebecca Furtado profile image73
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 3 years ago

When your mind is faster than your editing /typing skills?

Ok does anyone one else fail to put complete thoughts on paper( well word document)? My mind works faster than my word processing skills. I end up with hubs that sound like they were not written by a native English speaker. Punctuation gets left out too. Any easy cures? I dread going back over a hundred odd some hubs to find the errors.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 3 years ago

Well you can always edit.  I am sometimes still editing things I published here four or more years ago.  Doing this, editing old pages, literally helps them to become more attractive to search engines.

Of all the "rules of this game" on thing which has stayed constant is that older URLs or pages are STILL held as more valuable to Google's search engine...so always edit and improve old things you have published.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

Whether I'm typing a hub or writing a novel (which I do on paper first), I run into the same problem. If you'd see my hubs after I finish typing them, but before I edit, you'd think I was a little kid. I'd say to just slow down, but then I'd be a hypocrite because I can never do that myself. The only solution I've found is to re-read it slowly a few times and make the corrections before I hit the "publish" button.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I find that my word processing program is faster at keeping up, than when I hand write something. But that's because I can type faster than I can use a pen. So, it's kind of the opposite problem of yours; my handwriting looks like a 4-year-old on a sugar rush. So, my advice would be to write using something that is faster. For example, if your typing skills can't keep up, hand write it, or dictate it to a microphone. That way, when you transcribe it to the computer, you will be able to slow down for punctuation and grammar, without sacrificing the side that came up with the ideas in the first place.

5. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 3 years ago

I can type fairly quickly, but hand writing? Nope! I'd love to keep a paper-and-pen diary, but my thoughts move so much more quickly than my hand can write. As for typing, I do make a lot of mistakes, but I've trained myself to instinctively, instantly hit the backspace key - which requires watching the screen and not your fingers as they type, of course.

There are some typing games used to teach kids that are free. I'd recommend practicing until you get faster and more accurate.

Until then, always proofread. I can understand not wanting to go back over a hundred old hubs, but

1) it could help your hub views to edit old ones!

2) you could just start implementing this process with new hubs that you write.

6. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Yes! It's happening more and more. I'm always surprised to see a letter missing in a word or a whole word missing, when I know my thought was complete as I was typing. Sheeesh! I do think my desktop keys get stuck sometimes. But it happens on laptop and Kindle, too. All I can do is re-read everything I write including hubs, forum and Q&A posts, emails, text messages, etc. It's so annoying.

7. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

That is why I write it on Word and then proofread it myself. Even after I transfer it to HP I still proofread it before I publish it, especially if I add to it.
    When I post comments I usually check them before I post.

8. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 3 years ago

I use voice recognition software (Dragon NaturallySpeaking -- NOT the built-in Microsoft one, I hate that) and then proofread after that. If even that isn't fast enough to keep up, then I use a digital audio recorder to take my ideas down, then do the actual formatting into text at a time when my mind has quieted down.

As for all the ones you've done already -- no, there is no easy cure. You could, perhaps, hire a proofreader/editor to go through and fix them, but that will likely run more than the hubs are worth. I feel your pain...I currently have about 400 hubs between published and unpublished that need serious work for similar reasons.