jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why has Hubpages went down hill?

1. Mysticalmoon profile image60
    Mysticalmoonposted 3 years ago

Why has Hubpages went down hill?

I haven't been on here due the fact that you don't make money from here. I decided to come back and check things out...WOoh. Hubpages has went down hill, why?

2. backporchstories profile image79
    backporchstoriesposted 3 years ago

I have been a member for over 2 years.  Was without internet for a year of it and recently came back on.  Maybe you have too high of an expectation or you need to perfect the craft.  I saw you have no feature hubs.  Hubpages will always be tweeked....sometimes to peoples liking and sometimes not.  So far I have seen very little negative since I have been back, but I do know to make money here, it takes work and originality.  Everything has growing pains....hang in there!

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 3 years ago

Earnings have gone downhill courtesy of several Google algorithm changes, but I think the site as a whole has made some good moves toward better quality. Over the 6 years I've been here, the platform has gotten a lot more user-friendly, they're getting better at communicating writing guidelines and expectations, and they've tweaked the hub score to give a more accurate picture of how a hub stacks up. The changes they've made in about the last year, I think, have gone a long way to encouraging high-quality output.

I'll admit that I'm still working on all my updates for the new guidelines, and currently have almost 300 hubs that I unpublished because they're poor quality and need a lot of work, and they were pulling down my overall ranks. However, once you implement the changes, the earnings do start showing up again. It's still less than I made pre-Panda, Farmer, Revenge of Panda et. al., but it's slowly improving. As with any open-submission platform, it's still all about the long haul.

4. misslong123 profile image84
    misslong123posted 3 years ago

What sort of changes have you had to make because I work really hard on my hubs and am shocked at how low the scoring system seems to grade me?

1. wychic profile image89
      wychicposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Have you checked the new-ish guidelines? In "help," I think. My main changes are breaking apart text into smaller pieces, adding in more videos and photos, adding poll questions, etc. and cutting way back on Amazon and eBay capsules.

working