What are your memories of learning to drive? Are they funny, serious, sad?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

What are your memories of learning to drive? Are they funny, serious, sad?

I got my learners about three times and people who were helping teach me just never thought I was ready until I just said on the third time I am going for my drivers whether I fail or not! I passed fine and I am so glad; I cannot imagine not being able to drive. How about you?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9066184_f260.jpg

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
    LeslieAdrienneposted 10 years ago

I was 16 when I got my drivers license. It was one of the happiest days of my young life. Shortly after I got my license, my brother gave me his car... What joy! Not too many days after I had my first accident and my first ticket... every rose bush has thorns....

Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well hopefully you weren't hurt. I scraped a really nice car in a parking lot is the only bad I did but sure hated going home to report it. We just had bought our car and it really dented in the door but you could barely see the scratch on the other

3. shanmarie profile image66
    shanmarieposted 10 years ago

We had drivers ed as part of the school curriculum my year. It only lasted a quarter and the other quarter was spent on sex ed. Or maybe it was a semester. At any rate, some students went out with an instructor during class on a rotating basis. However, there weren’t enough slots for all of us to do that during the school period. So this girl and I had to drive with our teacher after school on Wednesdays, I think it was. We also had to have so many hours behind the wheel with our parents in order to get a license at 16.

Anyway, one time while driving with the instructor, I turned down a divided highway on the wrong side because I got confused by the sign. I believe it was the first time I’d even encountered an intersection like that.  There were no cars coming, but he totally flipped out, reaching over and jerking my wheel so that I ended up stuck in the ditch. I got thoroughly yelled at, too, and I have never done that again!

So funny! Glad you weren't hurt!

2. shanmarie profile image66
      shanmarieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haha! Yes, it is funny now. It wasn't so much then.

4. word55 profile image67
    word55posted 10 years ago

It was like wow! a new learning experience. I can show off my driving skills now. I can pick up my girlfriend and elope. I thought, I could pick up a couple of buddies and go look for girls. I was all excited when I was learning. I started learning to drive at 14, got my permit at 15 and got a license at 16. I dreamed of having my own car so I got one soon after getting my license and got a motorcycle too. It was cool to have both machines at that age :-)

Whew that reminds me I rode my brothers big motor cycle up back roads mostly and it was fun but I am really small & short & one day got thrown off in a curve so I called it quits on that! Fun memories though, thx for sharing yours!

5. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

I remember the grace and cool as a cucumber my dad was when I nearly drove the car through a supermarket window when he was teaching me to drive.  Be reached over and jammed on the brake pedal because I had hit the gas pedal.  He never yelled or even raised his voice at me, but he drove home.  He acted like nothing had ever happened when we got home and took me out to drive again the next day.  I passed my driver's test the first time and today we laugh about what happened that day.

Well I would say that was funny. lol but more like lucky. My dad 1st tried to teach me but he was almost on my lap; he was doing everything and I was squished against the door so I gave up on that.

6. Penny G profile image61
    Penny Gposted 10 years ago

Well I never drove except six times in drivers ED. My parents would not let me drive. My drivers Ed teacher told me that as a woman and Mother learning to drive through drive through fast food would be an asset. So each time I drove he would have me go through the McDonalds drive through and order him a cheese burger, I had a job and paid each time. Small investment to pass drivers Ed! Especially my first day when he had me "TRY" to parallel part, I hit a mail box at the curb and luckily didn't damage the car, or the ail box, just knock the door open. I thought thats it I may not even get to finish the class. Then I was lucky enough to be one of the three birth dates drowning, who did not have to drive at the drivers station. You had to get an A on your written test which I did. Look out I still can't parallel park!

Wow Penny, that was my biggest problem but I passed; they just said try to work on that and get a little closer. I try to avoid that and even try to be headed out as often as possible to avoid accidents.

2. Penny G profile image61
      Penny Gposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Funny me to I seek out parking spots I can pull through and be heading out. Works for me.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86

Keeps our insurance low! lol Safety first.

7. teaches12345 profile image76
    teaches12345posted 10 years ago

I didn't learn to drive until I was in my twenties.  My hubby tried to teach me but that was a mistake. He made me nervous.  Once I misunderstood his direction and drove right through an intersection on a red light. Fortunately, nothing happened.  Never have your spouse teach you to drive, it is not condusive to a happy marriage!  My sister, who is very patient, was my best teacher.

Glad you made it Dianna! Oh. Oh I know about husband teachers! I see little old ladies in their 80s still driving and I think that is just something!

8. sadstill22 profile image59
    sadstill22posted 10 years ago

i learn to drive in my twenties by a instructor. My first driving lessons was driving uphill not on the flat road. That was the hardest and scariest for me

Wow I imagine that would be! Trying to pull a hill with a pedal and no experience! Probably funny now though; huh?

9. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

I never really drove until after getting married and that was a stick shift LOL.  I did get my drivers license and permit before marrying but that was about it, as my parents had this huge old Lincoln Town Car which seemed like a tank to me and as long as a city block LOL.  Well, my husband was stationed in Tampa, Florida in the Air Force and we had a stick shift car.  He thought he would teach me how to drive it, but that was a disaster and I agree with teaches LOL ... never allow a spouse to teach you, especially a spouse.  Well, my hubby was trying to tell me to take my foot off the clutch fast, but when I did that, the car would conk out.  We came to a huge intersection with an 18-wheeler coming towards us and my hubby said "Go, go, go!!!"  Which, of course, made me nervous and we conked out, and he told me to get out of the car (all the while the 18-wheeler was getting closer), so I did get out and he drove us back to our little apartment.  I was so irritated at him LOL, and the next morning I got up early and went out by myself and I did just fine and learned that one does NOT let one's foot of the clutch quickly but slowly and then all is fine.  From that day forward I had no trouble at all driving a stick shift.  My husband was amazed hee hee.

Oh; I know Faith! My husband & father-in-law said I needed to learn the parking & set up two paint buckets for me to park between & naturally I couldn't see them & this was my third learners about to run out & I said well I am goi

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)