jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is anyone else seeing an increase in traffic but a decrease in profits?

1. Kathleen Odenthal profile image93
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 3 years ago

Is anyone else seeing an increase in traffic but a decrease in profits?

My traffic is steadily increasing, but my earnings are not. Is anyone else experiencing this or am I alone? I know traffic doesn't determine revenue, but a large majority of my traffic is from google, so I would expect to see my earnings at least nudge a bit with the traffic.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 3 years ago

The adverts pay out differently on different days and different months; so there's never, as you already know, a formula for X views equals Y income.

3. Maffew James profile image96
    Maffew Jamesposted 3 years ago

There's a lot of factors at play behind the scenes. It's possible that whilst you're seeing more traffic, the ads served with the hubs generating your traffic boost are paying less per click and impression. If your higher paying keywords aren't getting much exposure and lower paying keywords are, this drives down CPM because the average across all your hubs is lower even though traffic is at a high.

For example, say that hub A attracts high paying ads with a higher cost per click. Hub B serves ads that have a much lower cost per click. For convenience, say that hub A impressions give you a CPM of $4.00, whilst hub B has a CPM of $1.00. If you had 600:400 impressions of a to b, that earns you $2.80. If you had 400:800 of a to b however, even though you're seeing more traffic overall, the earnings average out lower at $1.60.

I'd suggest you look at your traffic and see if your usual higher traffic hubs have dropped and other hubs are receiving more traffic in their place. This would be consistent with the above scenario and perhaps stem your fears. Traffic fluctuates but it's likely it'll even out again, and income of any amount is better than none.

4. Tyler Bracken profile image81
    Tyler Brackenposted 3 years ago

Yes. The idea of this is that there is not meant to be a pattern at all however, there is a pattern where my CPM has been dropping, without fail, every day, for the last three weeks. I have looked and the traffic is flowing to the same hubs from the same places as it always was before the drop started. Probably going to look elsewhere now as hubpages or/and their ad buddies seem to think this sort of practice is fine and dandy. It is always easy to blame a "complex" formula..

working