Did you know camera batteries and coins together cause extreme heat?
I was shopping today and stuck my hand in my pockets and fingers on my left hand got burnt. I have a little nerve problems in my fingers and hands so my first thought was this is another symptom and stuck my hands back in and the left one touched coins in my pocket that felt on fire. I was starting to get scared; could this be like spontaneous combustion? be. It was getting hotter by the minute so I knew I need to dump my pockets if not take my pants off so I rushed to the bathroom to dump my pockets and when I did I found my camera batteries with coins, all red hot. What caused this?
Coins are metal, and therefore they are conductors of electricity. When the coins touched the battery connections, they conducted electricity. The electricity is what burnt you. Carry your batteries in another pocket or in a plastic (non-conductive) bag or box. That will protect you from shocking yourself again. That was also draining your battery, and you probably need to recharge it.
I just had the batteries extra in case I needed them and forgot all about having change in my pocket but even then I would have never had a clue it would do that! Quite a shock. I will not forget from now on.
One coin was in stable contact with the positive terminal, another with the negative. Other coins formes a stable bridge between these two coins. Current flowed along the bridge and this heated the coins becasue it was effectively a short circuit.
I had that happen to me when I put some batterise I believed flat into the same pocket as my keys.
Now I store batteries so there is no chance of a circuit forming: I hope