jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Average of our Hub Scores

1. sallybea profile image99
    sallybeaposted 3 years ago

Average of our Hub Scores

My average score seldom changes and if it does, it is always by one point and then it hops back up to the same average score a day or so later.  This happens in spite of my publishing new hubs which consistently receive scores much higher than the average score given at the top of our stats page.
    I am wondering if  this average score has been manually set so that the hub written within this average will only fluctuate below the average score given!
    I would like to increase my average score but nothing I do seems to have any effect on it whatsoever. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12344719_f260.jpg

2. cam8510 profile image95
    cam8510posted 3 years ago

sallybea, I just did some experimenting with eight of my hubs.  As a result of some minor changes I made to their layout, the hub score of each went up an average of 4 points.  That meant I had a 32 point increase in my hub scores.  My overall hub score went up by one point. 

So the lesson to me is that the overall hub score can't be an average of all individual hub scores.  In fact, our average hub score has very little to do with the overall hub score.  If it had a lot to do with it, my overall score would have jumped by more than one point. 

We've been recently informed in an HP blog post that they have tied the individual hub scores more closely to the number of page views.  So a hub that used to have a lot of page views but a low score might now have a higher score as a result of the high page views.  We were told nothing about the overall hub score.

The overall hub score is very stubborn to change.  All of my hub scores seem to go up and down a lot as a result of HB's recent changes to how they calculate the overall score, but my overall hub score almost never budges. 

And by the way, my eight hubs that had their hub scores rise as a result of my "fixes" have all gone down again.

3. sallybea profile image99
    sallybeaposted 3 years ago

cam8510 - My experience is the same, I still have a feeling that the average hub score is manually fixed and that the hub scores within that average will fluctuate.  Nothing appears to alter that average much.  Mine has never altered by more than that one point in the last three months or more.  Traffic is at it highest for me too but still no change! I figure it is a way to keep us on our toes:)

4. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

sallybea and cam8510, I'm seeing the exact same thing. You broke it down perfectly, cam8510. I guess it's a stubborn algorithm, not matter what we do. They new QAP is tough.

sallybeaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes it is like knocking your head on a brick wall!   Understanding how these things were set up is surely key to understanding how they function.  I found nothing in the Learning Center about Average Scores.

2. janshares profile image95
      jansharesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Excuse the typos, aaarrgh!

3. sallybea profile image99

Now here's a funny one to share, my hub average just went up one point, higher than the average, first time in three months.   I have the answer!  Just ask a question and place a swan on it:)

4. cam8510 profile image95
      cam8510posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm stealing your swan and putting it at the top of all my hubs.  smile

5. sallybea profile image99

No need to steal it, I can give you one, plenty more where that one came from:)

5. ThelmaC profile image97
    ThelmaCposted 3 years ago

Mine also fluctuates just a point or two no matter how much I "spruce up" my older hubs and write new ones.  I decided long ago to ignore it since I can't figure it out.

I have not asked a question for a long time and noticed that when I did I saw an improvement in my average score. I read somewhere that these have no relation to scores but I am now seriously thinking that this is why I have seen an improvement:)

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

mine has dropped 6 points for each hub. Some even more but I don't really care. Just can't stand to see the half moon logo. I had to edit and update

peachy
      We all saw a drop of around ten percent, but it is the average score of hub scores that I was curious about.  I know how you feel.  At heart we all care but it seems sometimes that there is very little we can do to alter the situation.

working