The real truth behind Hub Scores!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 7 years ago

When I published a hub a couple of weeks ago it reached a score of 96.  Wow! I almost convinced myself that I had finally got it right!
    Wrong!  Two weeks later the hub now has a score of 88!   What should I read into that?  Most people say that one should not concern oneself with hub score but it does seem to me that hub score is much more a measure of how much regular traffic a hub gets rather than writing ability.
    My conclusion, if you want to see if you can improve your hub score you could try an experiment! Start sharing your highest scoring hub on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Flipboard if you don't already do so and see how long it takes before you notice an improvement in score.
    Don't share a hub on Flipboard which has not yet been moved to a Niche Site.  It won't be indexed until it has been.  In my case, the hub was not moved for 12 days after it was published so it lost all the additional impetus that it might have gained by being added to Flipboard right after it was published.
    Have fun.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Happy Thanksgiving, sallybea."

sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kenneth, we don't celebrate it much over the pond but I will save those wishes for Christmas day:)

1. kenneth avery profile image80
          kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@sallybea, "Deal. And if life should end for me before Christmas of 2016, I wish you and yours a Very Joyous and Merry Christmas right here. Right now."  smile

2. Genna East profile image82
      Genna Eastposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally.  Hub and Hubber scores have always been a source of, "What the -- huh?"  for me.  The keepers of this Holy Grail  at HP will not disclose how scores are achieved, which adds to the mystique.  I noticed that once HP moved one of my more popular hubs to one of their niche sites, the hits dropped dramatically.  I'm only guessing, but I think this has something to do with the links that readers had established on the Internet recommending the hub.  Could they have been broken once the URL was changed by HP?  Thank you for this very helpful info! Happy Thanksgiving.

Hi Genna,
        The hub continues to receive traffic and has a score of 89 today.  I still think that score is related to traffic but I doubt we will ever learn the real truth and my hubs on the niche sites continue to do well also.

2. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

I'll be interested to hear about the results of your experiment. In my experience, scores drop following a burst of social media traffic. I reason this is because Hub score factors in things like time on page, which is likely to nosedive when many people are coming in from a social media link.

Of course I'm just guessing like everyone else. I think I'll have better luck figuring out what's in those secret hangars at Area 51 before I figure out Hub score.

I think you could be right, hanger 18 in Area 51!   There is an interesting question, maybe much more interesting than hub score:)

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha...agreed!

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

My opinion/take on the matter is, if we are "not to worry about" Hub scores, and are told that "they don't mean that much,"  that begs the question, "Then why are they even there?!"

They must exist for some reason, but if we are not going to be told, then it is obviously some behind-the-scenes rating mechanism, and perhaps should not even be shown on our page. 
    Ergo, if you're not going to tell us the significance, insisting it has none, then remove them!

It is just as mysterious as Area 51--that was a good one, sallybea!  lol

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's there primarily to stop spammers from getting dofollow backlinks.

I don't understand how that can work....

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Spammers write Hubs to promote their own websites or blogs.  They want to put links in Hubs that Google will see and count towards their site's reputation.  If your score drops too low, the links on your Hubs are hidden from Google. 

So that's a deterrent for spammers - to keep your score up, you need to be active in the community or writing Hubs, and it's not worth their while to do that.

Oh, okay, now I get it...I  wasn't quite making the connection of which way around it worked... DUH...been having a lot of 'senior moments' lately...

2. pumpkincat210 profile image60
        pumpkincat210posted 7 years agoin reply to this

When I look at Google analytics there is almost always the city of Samara in Russia on my hub, I guess this coincides with my hubscore drop.  This is frustrating, I know they are up to something but idk what..anyone else see that city parked on their google analytics?

1. WryLilt profile image89

It's likely spam referrals - they not actually real visits, they just ping the Hubpages server to convince them they are. Most sites get lots of spam referrals.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hubber scores are discouraging, especially when you know you have published a good hub and you score drops. 
      I am really discouraged, especially because I convinced two people to join day before yesterday and now I have to call them and discuss my frustration about the hubber score.  Sad: d;-[

I don't see why?   You can call them and discuss how HubScores are nothing to worry about, they are no reflection on the quality of your writing, they're just there to protect us against spammers.  smile

2. WryLilt profile image89

Hubscores don't influence traffic or earnings. Google can't see scores. I've earned $Thousands from 'low score' hubs and earned peanuts from high score ones.

Other than traffic and money, what else would I care about?

This.

2. sallybea profile image95

Well said Wrylilt

3. Sherry Hewins profile image91
        Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with Marisa and WryLilt, but I do understand how you feel. When we humans are ranked by a number, we feel a need to improve it. I too used to be emotionally vested in the ups and downs of my score.

Traffic and money are numbers too, and they do mean something. Those are the numbers to pay attention to. I can't say that's never disheartening. When my traffic takes a nosedive, it's disturbing, but at least I'm stressing about something that's real.

4. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years ago

I think it has a to do with publishing also if you publish a hub right now your Hubber score will drop by at least two points. 
    When people say it has no meaning, they are wrong, it absolutely does something to one, self esteem.

See, that's what I cannot understand; why should a score DROP because of the publishing of a new hub?????

It has not even been given a chance, and the assumption is that it will be poor quality???  WTH?!  Something is very wrong with that picture!!

Because traffic and comments form part of HubScore, so how can it have a high score until it's received some traffic?

If you're referring to HubberScore, part of THAT is an average of all your Hubscores - and when you publish a new Hub, which generally has a low score, that's going to drag the average down.

Indeed--how can it have ANY score at all?  And so why should it drag down the Hubber Score?  I just published a new Hub this evening, and there is not a zero or low score on my stats page; it simply shows a question mark.  That is not a score, so nothing should be counted for or against, it would seem to me.

That's odd.   Hubs usually get a score as soon as they've got through QAP.

The arrow was still circling as a "pending" hub...

OK, well obviously a pending Hub doesn't count.  When I said, "new Hub", I meant one that was newly visible, i.e. has already passed QAP.  They count.

Hmm.  okay...which then brings up a new question.  As soon as I published it, I sent a link out on FaceBook, and the article was already visible to my husband from his computer, even though it was still 'pending.'  I dunno...I give up... LOL

If you sent out a direct link to the Hub, then I wouldn't be surprised.   People wouldn't be able to find it without the link, though.  Nor would search engines.

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years ago

Even though we know our hub is quality.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)