jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Appropriate way to ask someone's permission to link to their hub?

1. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 2 years ago

Appropriate way to ask someone's permission to link to their hub?

If I wanted to link to one of your hubs in my article as a great hub that gave more information on the subject I had written on from a different perspective, would you think it was inappropriate for me to comment on your hub, the one I wanted to link to, and ask your permission to link to it on my hub?  If so, is there an appropriate way to ask someone's permission to link to their hub?

2. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 2 years ago

i would consider it an honor and be grateful if someone commented on my hub requesting to link it.

3. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

You could go to their profile page, and go to "Fanmail" - click on that, then you should see a link that says "send (add hubber) an email" - and email them - it's a safe way as it goes through Hubpages.

Or you could just ask them in the comments.
    I'd be honoured either way!

kbdressmanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know about the Fanmail option!  Thanks for letting me know!

4. MarieLB profile image82
    MarieLBposted 2 years ago

I have written - privately - to two hubbers who have expert knowledge on a subject I include in my private website.

Each has given me full permission, in a very gracious fashion.

I often use their material and each time I ensure that I link back to them and give them full credit, as one should.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I think any way that you might contact an author would be acceptable. Be it on a comment or through email. Most authors are tickled pink when someone wants to share their work. You could probably share it without asking their permission, provided you give proper credit and you're not copying any of their text, but it is considered polite to ask first.

6. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

I do so routinely. It is really quite an honor.  Beware, sometimes hubbers delete their hubs, which breaks the link in your hub.  No big deal, but you do need to unpin the broken link.

Thanks for the heads up!  That's a great point!

7. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

Simply write a comment or an Email and ask their permission. You may occasionally receive a negative reply but that is rare. Usually they would be honored. As with all links, just keep an eye for broken links in case they delete their Hubs.

1. MarieLB profile image82
      MarieLBposted 2 years agoin reply to this

@The Examiner-1:  Thanks for the tip about broken links.  I had not yet thought of it.  I'll go check my website.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image75
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome Marie but I was not the only one who mentioned that.

3. kbdressman profile image94

Great answer, thanks for the advice!

working