Are you allowed to publish contnet you have published elsewhere here?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Brenda Massey profile image60
    Brenda Masseyposted 14 years ago

I published an article I had published on another site and it now says "duplicate" in my stats.....Does this site not allow you to publish contnetn you have published elsewhere? Appreciate any help anyone could give me in answering this as most my stuff is in other places too.

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to keep your stuff here, you have to delete it from the other places. If not it will always show it's duplicate

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are allowed to publish duplicate content on HubPages, but it will be picked up by the flagging system and it won't perform nearly as well as an original article.

This is a lesson most newbies have to learn.  Some sites encourage you to post the same article on lots of sites - but actually, there's not much point.  Google can see that they're copied:  it will only present the most "respected" version to a search engine and ignore the rest. So you're not doing yourself a lot of good by multiple postings.

3. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can. But there are HubScore penalties. And enough individual hub penalties will drag your HubberScore down and all your outbound links on all your hubs will be nofollow.

On top of that, you can't have outbound links on hubs with duplicate content.

And added to that, what's the point? You've already published it. Move on and do something new. Even if it's the same topic, you could then link back to the other article. Or have the other article link to your new article. Or link both ways. But if it's duplicate content you wouldn't want to be a reader clicking through and seeing the same thing again.

4. swtwin2 profile image66
      swtwin2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for asking that question.  I wondered the same thing.  Thanks, too, for those who answered.  It was helpful.

5. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The official word is NO.
      Are there things you can do to avoid your problem withOUT an entire rewrite?
      yes.
      Use parenthetical comments before and after the duplicated material or get one of those free programs that slightly rewrites your stuff for you.

6. David Harvey profile image58
      David Harveyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HubPages does not appreciate being loaded up with duplicate content. Neither does Squidoo, or Google or any place that is discerning about quality. And if you try to submit duplicate copy to EzineArticles, you can get your account banned.

Duplicate articles are the bane of the Internet. There are billions of poorly-written and rewritten pages of content out there. That's how Google got to be King of all the search engines and directories... Because the founders came up with mathematical alogorithms to help their computers weed out the trash and give the people who search the best-possible search experience.

If a whole lot of duplicate pages, of 'different' pages that all said much the same thing turned up in the SERPS (search engine results pages) then it would not be a good visitor experience.

So the FIRST copy they see gets flagged as 'original' and all the other dupe copies get flagged as trash and placed in the 'also ran' results, that nobody sees unless they ask for them.

That keeps Google number one, and nobody has been able to do the filtering job as well as they can. But everyone is trying to do so -- including HubPages, of course!

Hubpages doesn't want duplicate articles eithet. Make your articles original, and they will reward you - with traffic, fame and earnings. Give them trash and your results will reflect what they 'think' of you -- electronically, robotically, of course!

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

No. Recommend you rewrite the article then link them together or write on related subject. big_smile You can leave it but know your score will be lowered with duplicate content. hmm

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Brenda, don't I know you from another writing site??

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Possibly Helium?  They're probably the worst offender, because they insist that by keeping your articles forever, they're "only" taking first rights and you're free to publish as many times as you like elsewhere.

What they don't tell you is how many other sites penalise duplicate content, like HubPages, or doesn't allow it at all.  And the ones that do allow duplicate content are often poor earners.

1. wsp2469 profile image60

Well, I'm a writer not an ad man so I wouldn't be concerned about "poor earners". 
      You scramble your stuff with one of those free programs and you're good to go or just add more material to the piece you have.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

As a writer, I wouldn't want to use a program that "scrambled my stuff". That's not writing.

If you're not on HubPages to earn, then the duplicate flag is of no concern to you - you can just ignore it.

As a writer I do not use a 'scrambler' i am simply saying he could.
          Yes, you are correct.  if he is a writer then he doesn't have to worry too much about the whole duplicate issue.

Anyway, OP, don't stress too much.  there are a lot of other worse things on the internet than duplicate articles.
          if you are not concerned about any theoretical, potential earnings then--again--don't worry about it. 
          By the way, if you truly are a writer then you can make more money actually writing articles than putting up some of the hubs that some of the misguided-think-they-re-gonna-get-rich ad people put up here.
          First decide what you want to be, an advertiser or a writer and then make your choices.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Of course, it's possible to be both.  Most writers (journalists, novelists etc) have to write with one eye on the bank balance.  That doesn't make them bad writers.

I'm sorry.  I was a bit short in my comment.  Allow me to clarify.
              Having been a print journalist I can honestly say that I never had to write ad copy or place ads.  That was done by a separate department and the ads were never placed in the middle of my articles and rarely if ever on the same page.
              Novelists don't write advertisements and rarely if ever see ads even IN their books unless the book goes into paperback and then the ad generally goes into the back in the otherwise blank extra pages.
              I am simply saying their are writers and people who write ad copy.
              Both get paid but they have different titles and get paid to so different things.  Not making judgments per se, just making sure we recognize the difference.
              One gets paid to write stories another gets paid to 9at best)write ad copy.

1. sunforged profile image71
                sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to self publishing on the internet , where everything you knew is now meaningless..except for sentence structure

I just wanted marisa to understand that I am differentiating between the two and why/how I know the difference. 
                  Personally, I still don't place ads here.  My boss at todaysrecipepro.com has done it on a couple of hubs in order to show me how but I don't.
                  Someone on another thread wrote a post about the two and their relationship on HubPages and I thought it was brilliant.  I wish I could remember where I saw it!
                  Re: sentence structure--I have seen hubs that prove THAT wrong, too OR perhaps prove that HP doesn't give a sh*t about grammar or proper use of English or even spelling. LOL

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Who said anything about writing ad copy?  I'm here on HubPages to make money, and I don't write ad copy.  I'm sure when you were a journalist, you couldn't just write about any old thing that took your fancy - you had to write articles that would appeal to the newspaper's readers.  Same with novelists - anyone will tell you mainstream publishers want stories that fall into recognizable genres, so novel writers have to tailor their plots accordingly if they want to get published.  If writers want to eat, they have to write to get paid one way or another.

I get really pissed off when some writers imply that anyone who writes for money on HubPages is in some way prostituting an art.  You may not have meant that, but that's how it came across.

I am the one who mentioned writing ad copy.  I did not say you personally write ad copy.  I've read one or two of your hubs and I do not recall you inserting a ton of ads.  (Was I wrong?) 
                  Actually, depending on my position and the publication I could pretty much write about whatever I chose to write about within reason.  Sorry, but that's the truth.
                  I have not surveyed all mainstream publishers nor am I limiting my remarks to mainstream publishers.  I am not even sure how you would personally define that these days.
                  Novelists write what they want and then submit their works to publishers.  Editors assist in doing the tailoring you speak of and depending on how long you are willing to wait and how many places you are willing to submit your material to eventually--once you are established--there is not as much tailoring as you might think.  If writers want to eat they just might work another job or do something else they enjoy to supplement their income rather than just surrender to everything and anything. 
                  I never said writers don't have to write to get paid.  I said writers write what they want to write and get paid and advertising people write ad copy.  I am not implying anything.  I am differentiating between advertisers and writers.  I am not going to get into some debated about "prostitution" which can easily lead into the generalized: everyone is a prostitute".  There is a focus involved here.  Perhaps it would help to pose the question do real writers themselves need to post advertisements on their hubs to make money? 
                  Now that you brought it up, I am not so sure I'm comfortable with the word art used in the same sentence as making money either.  Art is art whether it makes money or not.  Didn't mean to point any fingers at anyone specifically.  I am just telling it like it is.

5. Maratha Warrior profile image60
    Maratha Warriorposted 14 years ago

I had done like this before but no chance. You first post your article on HP and then post it anywhere else. This results in your article on HP will indexed first and no more duplicate issue.

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

yeah..sentence structure was a joke too, unfortunately

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)