jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do I put links to references in the body of my hub, or at the bottom?

1. macteacher profile image92
    macteacherposted 15 months ago

Do I put links to references in the body of my hub, or at the bottom?

I've been asked by an editor to make some changes to my hub on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome so it can be put on one of the vertical sites. They want me to list references. I did list the references, but not as active links.  I always thought it's a bad idea to to drive traffic away from your hub.  So now I am confused and would appreciate some input from writers who use references in their hubs. Thanks!

2. lions44 profile image100
    lions44posted 15 months ago

I always reference at the end in a separate capsule.  I do put the links in there or at the very least, the name of the website. I find that putting links in the body is distracting. You don't see that in a major publication like Newsweek or Time.  Also, break up your references by type; Books, Articles, Websites, etc..

Good luck.

macteacherposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate the help.

3. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 15 months ago

I see that you have a couple of good references at the bottom of your page.  It would be more attractive and functional if you made them active links with a little bit of annotating text explaining what each site offers.  With the tone of your piece, putting the sources in the text would be detracting. 

I'm sorry to hear you've struggled with Carpal Tunnel syndrome.  My mom's had to have surgery on both hands (when I was an infant...25 years ago) and still has trouble.  She's found that chiropractic adjustment and stretching her wrists is helping along with many of the suggestions you make in your hub.  It's a well written piece!

macteacherposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for your helpful response. I will do as you suggest. A couple of years after I wrote the hub, the symptoms got worse, mainly because of what I do for a living. I opted for surgery on both hands with excellent results. Writing that hub now.

working