jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Who or what inspired you to become a writer?

1. Luke Holm profile image94
    Luke Holmposted 14 months ago

Who or what inspired you to become a writer?

Ever since I was a little boy, I've been fascinated with authors, literature, and writing. I was originally inspired by a lower-lexiled version Herman Melville's _Moby Dick_.  Dr. Seuss' rhymed lines and frivolous vocabulary fueled my passion.  Later, Thoreau's existentialism and Emmerson's essays opened up my mind. Today, I aspire for Frost's simplicity, Carol's imagination, Poe's suspense, and Silverstein's revelations. My writing community keeps me inspired as I aspire to seize a seat amidst giants. As they carry me on their shoulders, one word at a time, I beget brain across the page.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13391003_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 14 months ago

Having trouble finding science fiction I liked and thinking I could write better than the stuff I found at the book store.
    Note - I've had stories published in several dozen anthologies and magazines, not just scifi and horror published on Hubpages.

Luke Holmposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Very cool! Sci-fi is fun to think about the infinite possibilities for life.

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
      tamarawilhiteposted 14 months agoin reply to this

But technical writing is what pays the bills.

3. Luke Holm profile image94

Ugh, unfortunately hmm

3. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 14 months ago

I really don't know what draws me to the pages of an empty notebook or blank computer screen. Creative juices have always flowed freely for me. Poetry comes easy and writing short stories is nearly as fun when not bothered with writers block. Poems about most anything seem the best way to cope with emotions that are either sad or happy. I've written many memorial poems over the years. I first became interested in writing in the sixth grade. Western drama is my favorite.

Diana, thanks for sharing! I'll definitely check out your work! I love the free flow feeling of creative juices dripping onto the page.  Keep up the good work!!!

working