How long have you been a writer on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Karen Hellier profile image89
    Karen Hellierposted 7 years ago

How long have you been a writer on HubPages?

Today is my 5 year anniversary on Hubpages so I was just wondering how long other people have been writing here and what value Hubpages has brought to your life?

2. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 7 years ago

Karen, I have been on about 6 years. If you go look at peoples profiles it will tell you how long they have been on.

Karen Hellierposted 7 years agoin reply to this

True but I was just looking for people to respond rather than going to look at everyone's profile. Thanks for responding Greg.

3. Kristen Howe profile image90
    Kristen Howeposted 7 years ago

Happy anniversary! 2.5 years for me. I don't know about what value. But when my muse was down after my mother died, a Twitter friend told me about it. I started writing slow and worked my way up to a hub. I haven't much money to cash out either.

You have to have a lot of hubs and be active pretty much daily, commenting and adding new hubs or revising old ones in order to see any money. It takes awhile and is fun to get paid but the real value in my opinion lies in the community here. Thanks!

2. Kristen Howe profile image90
      Kristen Howeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have 98 hubs. I've been revising my hubs, even if they get the unfeatured symbol. I'm in the process of moving one to a niche next week. I do comment and be active daily by sharing hubs via Twitter and other social media platforms the best I can.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

Congratulations on 5 yrs, Karen.  My 5 yr. mark was this past June.  I was much more active my first 3 yrs and have slowed down considerably in the past 2 and half.  There are several different reasons for my cutting back, which are not important to mention at the moment.  I still remain connected several hours a week.  My muse decided to take a sabbatical & it's futile for me to argue with her. 
    Prior to Hubpages, I wrote a monthly column for a local magazine for about 5 years, only giving it up when I became so deeply committed to writing here.  I've tossed around the idea of going back to the magazine but I'm not comfortable with the strict scheduling it involves.  When you are "expected" to submit monthly on a specific day at a certain time, it becomes more like work as opposed to pleasure.
    The most "value" I feel I yield here are our wonderful fellow-writers.  The enormous talents here have to be some of the most awesome individuals in the world.  We become attached to one another and learn so much from our relationships. 
    Making a few bucks doing something I truly love is a big plus, as well.  I can easily see myself remaining a member here for however long HP exists online.
    Continued luck to you Karen. I wish you a productive year!  Peace, Paula

Paula, that's great. Congrats on your time here and the magazine column. I know what you mean about having to submit something on a deadline. It does take the fun out of it. I'm constantly searching for ways to get paid to write deadline free!

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly sure that articles can B submitted 2 just about any magazine & if published, they pay the writer.Often, U can google the mag & check out if they welcome articles from free-lancers. I know Reader's Digest, Parent's & Elle do.

5. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

I have been writing on this site about five years. I've made modest money from the site and managed to promote some of my fiction through my Hubs.

Good for you Tamara. It is a good place to promote our work as writers. I have found that as well.

6. Terrielynn1 profile image86
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

Hi, almost 3 months now. Working on my 10th hub. I have 3 on niche sites. My last one confuses me. When I finished it, it came up as duplicate. I didn't copy it. How does that happen and how can I fix it. It's a medical hub so some info I feel has to be accurate and not sure what to do next. Happy anniversary on hubs.

1. Marie Flint profile image73
      Marie Flintposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I haven't read your "duplicate" hub, Terrie, but one thought came to mind: Try writing the information from your own experience, or at least make it sound that way. Changing a title might help also. Good luck!

2. Terrielynn1 profile image86
      Terrielynn1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I did that. I also changed some of the wording that seemed to contain key word triggers. Now it's published and featured, yea, thank you.

3. Karen Hellier profile image89

Terrie I am glad that Marie was able to help you. I wouldn't have known what to tell you so I am glad Marie jumped in.

7. Marie Flint profile image73
    Marie Flintposted 7 years ago

Four years here, Karen. I've deleted more hubs than I have published. Some are saved to a flash drive, Maybe I'll republish some of them, maybe not.

I think what I've enjoyed most about Hub Pages are the wonderful templates. I have found these useful and fun.

The biggest problem I've had is finding a niche, although Hub Pages' team once recommended I try writing things out of my normal focus (I had been trying to figure out a way to make a little money).

Like anything, you get back exactly what you put into it. One thing you shouldn't let bother you are scores. Although they can kind of point you in a direction, these scores go up and down, depending on traffic. I think (now that I've matured) it better to just let hubs stay published, although they may not be featured and have a low score. If the hub is timeless, you never know when the subject you've written about may become popular. So, it's more important to enjoy your skill of writing, share your knowledge (or even opinions or other creative writing) with others and not be overly concerned about awards and standings. In other words, be true to yourself. The muse will guide you about what to write; after all, we are all connected, and there is a wave of thought upon which the intuitive picks up on if you are a sensitive person (which most writers are).

Happy Fifth!

That;s true Marie that you do get back what you put into it. I have very much enjoyed my time here on Hubpages and don't plan on leaving...ever!

8. ninjaapple profile image72
    ninjaappleposted 7 years ago

I been here over two years now. The thing is that my presence has been pretty sporadic. I only wrote every now and then been as of very recently I've been making a point to write much more frequently. The HubPages experience has certainly been interesting all the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)