jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

How do I get more comments on my hubs?

1. poppyr profile image99
    poppyrposted 14 months ago

How do I get more comments on my hubs?

None of my articles have more than 10 comments. I've seen some people's articles with hundreds and even thousands of comments even if their topics are similar to ones I've written, such as video game guides. Some of my articles have over 20,000 views yet only one or two comments. How do I get more comments on my hubs?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 14 months ago

Comments are more often than not a result of socializing. So if comments are what you are after, the best thing to do would be to have more of a social presence on the site. You can do this in two ways, you can 1. visit lots of pages on topics you enjoy and leave pleasant comments, and you can 2. make yourself a presence in the forums on the topics you enjoy or are otherwise interested in.

The persons I know of who got the most comments did those things, but a third strategy would be to write about the most controversial stuff imaginable. I used to do some of that myself, and controversial things get lots of commentary. Looking at your profile picture, you don't seem to be the controversial type (not that a picture is that great an indicator, or that I am Mr. profile picture psychological profile maker) - so I'd say leave more comments on other people's work. Follow people and they may well follow you back, and start commenting your stuff more.

poppyrposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for the lovely answer. I'm going to try and be more active on the forums, etc. I also heard about controversy but people get so offended by everything nowadays I don't want to get myself into trouble. Thanks again!

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 14 months ago

Poppy.....I can understand your disappointment in terms of "comments," but the truth is, "views" (traffic) is much more important.  95% of comments are left by fellow-Hubbers.  While it's wonderful to receive attention from and interact with our fellow-writers, our readership from elsewhere is what we can be pleased to see.
    When you see hubs with "hundreds of comments," you may want to take note of how long a writer has been a member here.  I think you'll find they've been writing here in excess of 4 years and are well-known throughout HP.
    As Wesman has mentioned, it is also a matter of how much we socialize and spend a good deal of time, reading & commenting on hubs of others.
    With a hubber score (profile score) of "93," I'd say you should be quite pleased and proud of your progress and status.  As time goes on, you'll gain more and more feedback here.  Good Luck.

Thank you Paula! Very nice answer. I agree traffic is more important; just a bit envious of articles with loads of comments! I'll try harder to be a more active member of the HubPages community. smile

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 14 months ago

As Paula pointed out comments don't necessarily mean the article is not worthy. Here at HP it is a social activity as Wes pointed out to. The current thought at HP is those type of comments do not lend value to an article for page ranking value on Google. Comments that add value to the article do.

Listening in the Forums about comments for information type articles I hear they may get questions seeking answers. To me that says if you are not getting comments asking questions your article is successful. It delivered the information to the reader and is what is needed. So, maybe a good sign?

1. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 14 months agoin reply to this

Yeah...what Tim is trying to say is some of us lonely old ladies not only write here....this is our social life too!!  LOL.  You're just fine the way you are!!

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Yes indeed Paula . . . Old Guys too ;-)

3. poppyr profile image99

That's a really nice way of looking at it. A lot of my articles are how-tos so I suppose if no one is commenting it does mean they found what they're looking for. Thank you so much for your nice input smile

working