Maven company stock down 40%

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

Is there something we are missing? Why is the Maven company tanking?
    They acquired Hubpages and then partnered with po.et...
    What next?

Their website has remained the same over the past month...
    Very few changes or new postings...

What are they doing and how are they making money?

Where is the innovation and the synergy?

So far, they have not impressed me and I hope it changes ASAP...

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Penny stocks are highly volatile and very risky. Otherwise, I suggest reading the company's financial statements to find out more about its performance.

1. Rock_nj profile image91
        Rock_njposted 6 years agoin reply to this

OTC / Pennystocks like MVEN are notorious for selling off after a run up.  A lot of times the companies dilute the shareholder's holdings by issuing and selling additional stock, driving down the price. 

I wouldn't worry about it so much.  How old is MVEN?  A year or so?  This company is just getting started.  If the founders and management have the right vision, then over time, perhaps many years, it will do well. 

I am also not crazy about theMaven.com site setup.  Looks too much like the type of content farm that Google frowns upon, but I'm sure they know that.

1. robhampton profile image92
          robhamptonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Actually I think Maven has been around for a long time. Look at MVEN lifetime stock graph.

TheMaven Inc. took over a penny stock trading on the Over the Counter market (OTC) that was called Integrated Surgical Systems, Inc. in late 2016 / early 2017 in a reverse merger of some kind. I remember reading in their earnings release last quarter that they haven't been in business long and had grown a lot since inception.  Two good things are that so far the stock float (# of shares available) is quite low for a pennystock (but that could change if they issue more shares) and they appear to be in good standings with otcmarkets.com (meaning they are doing their filings on time and keeping to the standards needed to stay in good standing).

More info about MVEN at:  https://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/MVEN/profile

2. profile image0

Yes, I agree about a selloff. Time will tell if it's a good buy. I'm more concerned about people on HP who recommend buying the stock without doing their homework.

2. robhampton profile image92

Time to buy? I'd say yes

1. profile image0

Only if you like high risk.

3. robhampton profile image92

Little off topic, but what actually IS Maven? I've been to the sight themaven.net and can't make any sense out of this page. Is it a blog? a newsfeed?, somewhere for the owners to post how awesome they are? If I wanted to read something on the internet that would be the last site I'd go to. I just can't tell what it is.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's a collection of content sites (a.k.a. content farm) just like we are.

Hubpages is no longer a content farm. That was the point of the vertical sites.

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I get that but the vertical sites are not doing any better than what the old HubPages... as far as I can tell. This business of accommodating to the whims of google is a loosing proposition, IMHO.

Well then you must not be doing something right cuz I've been raking it in since they started the vertical sites.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image93
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

They did make an investor update yesterday.
    Here's the thing, if they really want investors to feel positive about Maven as a content platform, then the content needs to be top notch. Not updating the content looks sketchy for sure.

1. Jeremy Gill profile image92
      Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Kierstin, would you mind saying what you're referring with "not updating the content"?

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image93
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

Jeremy, if you go to some of their subs (I just checked on Politics/Causes for example), and you sort the stories by "newest" the content is all from several weeks ago, reaching into last summer. I feel like HubPages does a good job of keeping their niche sites current. Even if some of the "featured" content is old(ish), it's still being updated often and they're always working to bring new content over.

4. dougwest1 profile image97
    dougwest1posted 6 years ago

jacklee:
    Maven stock (MVEN) is a micro-cap stock with only 38.5 million in market capitalization. I couldn't find any earnings reported on my TDAmeritrade account information on the stock. These small stocks typically don't perform well. Maybe the acquisition with Hubpages will help. I am not a buyer of this stock.

MVEN did have a quarterly report a few months ago, with another one expected soon.  It appears their revenue is growing rapidly, but they are not making a profit at this point.  HubPages may help their bottom line, if HubPages is profitable.

2. Rock_nj profile image91

Maven Reports Rapid Growth in Monthly Organic Users and Reports Q3 Results

November 17, 2017

Maven today announced that its monthly traffic is climbing at an accelerated rate – from 900,000 unique users in September to 3.6 million in October, with the trend line continuing in November.

3. profile image0

Yahoo Finance has financial statements.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MVEN/financials?p=MVEN

This is from 2016...
        And it does not show promise...
        What about this past year and past quarter since buying HubPages...?

1. profile image0

Yahoo Finance hasn't received the full 2017 report yet. You can see the most recent quarterly statement for 2017 by clicking on the link that says Quarter.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image67
    Miebakagh57posted 6 years ago

Such a traffic trend can't be real. Or its just AI driven.
    I for many were disappointed when HubPages was sold to them

6. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

HubPages management has indicated that the vertical sites have performed quite well.  The Hubs I have on them consistently get views to a greater to lesser extent, but views nonetheless.

The only data I have is my 500 hubs and about 5 percent have been moved to verticle sites.
      My stats does not show any improvement of the ones moved vs. the ones staying on hubpages in terms of view counts.
      In addition, my google page rank is higher for many of my articles on Hubpages vs. the verticle sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)