Share your thoughts on multitasking

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Blue and Gray profile image73
    Blue and Grayposted 6 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I'm curious as to how you manage your time considering that some of you here work part-time. Do you multitask? If yes, how?

1. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am not good at doing more than one thing at a time.  My wife can be listening to a book, cooking dinner and watching the news on television and keep everything straight.  I can only do one thing at a time.  I'm good at disciplining myself to do what I have scheduled.  I think about time limits and put them on the schedule.  I can do many things as long as I follow my schedule.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

This is actually my PT job which I do from home while caring for my kids and going to school. It's a juggling act, especially because I don't think my family takes me seriously because I do everything (school, writing) from home. To them, it looks like I'm just playing on my computer when I'm not paying attention to them.

Yet, I make as much writing from home here on HubPages as my husband does at his second job outside the home, so it's not like I'm sitting around doing nothing.

I'm just sitting around working while flagging 10,000 questions from my husband and kids while still managing to write somewhat coherently and pass my classes.

My best advice for multitasking is to prioritize certain things for certain days of the week so that you always know what you're doing when you wake up and you're not scrambling to catch up on anything.

Also, if you have family at home, stick your earbuds in when you're writing. You don't even have to listen to anything, it just tricks them into thinking you're not listening and leaving you alone to work like they would if you were at an out-of-the-house job.

Blue and Grayposted 6 years agoin reply to this

that's good to hear. What I'm curious about your situation is how you manage to have a focused mindset despite the constant distractions that you experience at home.

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

Yes, I'm in constant multi-tasking mode. However, I think it's over-rated. I actually wrote a poem hub about how it doesn't work. Most of the time, I forget something, important things fall at the waste side, and too often, I'm moving like Speedy Gonzales (telling my age). Unfortunately, because we are so busy wearing many hats, we have no choice but to multi-task to get it all done. My biggest challenge is memory issues which come with age. What helps is writing things down. I have little writing tablets with lists, calendars, and post-its all over the place. All we can do is our best and let some things go.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oops, "wayside." Perfect example of memory issues. Ho hum.

2. Blue and Gray profile image73

Wow thank you. Actually I just wrote an article on how multitasking can actually hurt your brain in the long run (you can read it in my profile). But overall, I agree with you that multitasking promotes memory loss especially during classroom discussion. I'm a student, and I make sure that I focus on a single task before doing another one.

Excellent! I'll check out your article.

Just read your article. Nice! My poem hub and your informative hub should be linked!

will check your poem hub. Maybe you can link my article in your poem and I will link your poem in my hub. smile Just read your comment. Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

I do it all the time. I switch whenever something starts feeling like work. Net result is I end up taking a break from work by doing other work; which ends up getting all the work done, without any of it seeming like work at all.

I am also very big on to-do lists. Always a glorious feeling when checking an item off.

Interesting scheme. I want to try it. Do you have some tips?

5. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

When I was in college, I had a job as a short-order cook.  I have multi-tasked ever since. I love it and would not stop. I love getting lots of stuff done in one day. I used to be contracted with Demand Media Studios. I was a talent producer and loved it because I oversaw many projects in one week. When one was completed, I got paid, and it was rewarding.

Multi-tasking as a writer is different because I concentrate on each piece until done. There are times when I leave an article because I can't focus on it anymore (I am stumped or it isn't flowing) and come back to it after working on another article.

Everyone is different and they all have their own way of doing what works for them. The key is to find what works for you and keep at it.

6. Cre8tor profile image94
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

I work full-time. Sure I don't produce as many hubs here but I've integrated the 2 and carry a note pad just about everywhere. Then when I have time to uni-task, I sit down and enter notes onto HP.

7. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

Humans are not biologically built to multi-task, at least according to its definition. They can only properly focus on two things in very short intervals, and most people have trouble with that.

But I don't think that's what you meant. Humans can take on multiple tasks over the course of a day, and most of us do just that. Personally I like to segment my tasks with a 2-3 hours dedicated to writing/editing, another 2-4 dedicated to other freelance gigs, and another 3-5 for part-time work.

Maybe if this whole Maven/Hubpages deal turns out to be a success, then I could dedicate more time to this site.

Actually i just wrote an article regarding the negative effects of multitasking. Im just crowdsourcing opinions and experiences of people. It's nice to read different approaches to tackle daily errands. Anyways, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I myself have a planner on a daily basis but sometimes have problems sticking with it.

8. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Me: 90% procrastination, 10% work. I call this a good day smile

But my mind is always at work while procrastinating too, helps me do things in a better way at the end.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Funny, my mind is always procrastinating when I have work.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yup smile

9. Jessie L Watson profile image66
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

I use a modified version of the Pomodoro technique if I get into a pinch.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNBmG24djoY

I use it too when I really really need to get something done. How do you modify it though?

1. Jessie L Watson profile image66
        Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Just different time intervals. Instead of going 25 minutes I usually go 20.

Also, I use it for studying when I have a stack of books. I go 20 minutes, reflect on the reading for 5, then keep cycling until I've studied for 2 hours. That's about all people can really handle. Unless you're some sort of wunderkind, people typically can't study for 5 hours a time.

But if you're able to study and absorb information for 2 hours a day, that's 10 hours of pure studying a week. That's about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time average students need to spend getting their stuff done. It's more cognitively effective and more time effective.

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

2. Jessie L Watson profile image66

I would also recommend listing all the tasks in your life that can fit into a 20-25 minute bracket.

Ex. Dishes, Laundry, Paperwork, Phone calls, Balancing Checkbook, etc etc.

I put those into the 2 minute rule. If it can be done in two minutes do it immediately (that is as long as you are not interrupting another task). But I rarely follow this rule myself smile I try to.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image66

Cheers to that!

10. Ben716 profile image91
    Ben716posted 6 years ago

I am a full-time tutor at a middle-level ECDE college. I find time to research and write articles during the evening, at night or early morning at 4am, or during weekends if I am free. At least, I manage to write less than five articles a month. Add to that procrastination, sometimes I 'beat' myself for letting good ideas get hold of dust on the shelves. Not fair at times.

11. Mamerto profile image91
    Mamertoposted 6 years ago

It's a bad idea. The concept of multitasking is to finish several tasks at the same time. In reality you will end up with several substandard results and a migraine. When doing your job you need focus. And how can you focus if you are thinking of another job while you tackle another one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)