How does make money with HubPages? Are you happy with your experience?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. VVanNess profile image76
    VVanNessposted 5 years ago

I've been with HubPages for 5 years now. I have almost 500 articles and the majority of them are featured. I publish quite frequently and follow all of the rules. I post my articles to facebook and pinterest, I am part of Amazon Associates, and yet I make very little money each month (nothing from Amazon Associates). Yet I see many people making much more with much fewer articles. Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Tip 1. Go delete those repeated posts. Click on More just below your messages and then on Delete big_smile

Okay, just for info... I have 155 or so articles and am hoping to hit four figures shortly.

I noticed that you do a lot of recipe articles. They don't really do so well, traffic-wise. A good thing to do is to go through your titles and make sure that they are worded in ways that reflect what people are looking for. For example, I noticed one with 'great' in the title. People don't usually include 'great' when searching on Google.

Make sure your subtitles include relevant key words and phrases. A little trick I use is to go to a site called Askthepublic.com and type in the article topic. Then the results will show all kinds of questions linked to the topic. You can use those as titles, subtitles and even keyphrases within the text.

For example, your stinky house article is excellent. I wish I'd written it. However, you aren't making good use of your subtitles. Right after the first introductory paragraph add a subtitle: Weird Smells in My Home.

Then your 'Don't Just Try Covering It Up' could be 'Masking Odors in the House Doesn't Work'... or something like that. You can see I'm working in words that people might be searching for?

That section needs breaking up again with another subtitle as it goes on to tell people what items they need.

The other subtitles are simply the names of rooms in the house, so liven them up... When Your Living Room Smells, Musty Odors in the Garage.

You get the idea.

Start there and see how you go on.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

In addition to what has been said here, you really need to create more interesting titles!  Titles are the first things that readers see and if they aren't interesting people won't click on them.  Just naming the food in the recipe is not enough.  For example, instead of "Chocolate Fudge Brownies" how about" "Killer Brownies to Die For" or "A Brownie Recipe That Will Make You Want to Lick the Bowl".  You would be surprised to see how just changing a title can affect your views.  As for Amazon, the trick is to advertise a product people cannot easily find in their local store.  Maybe there is a special type of nut or some exceptionally good chocolate etc.  Writing successfully is not as easy as just following the rules, you have to wax creative..."I can still remember my first attempt at baking brownies.  I let them bake too long and wound up with hockey pucks instead of brownies!  I learned a hard but good lesson that day.

3. weezyschannel profile image88
      weezyschannelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am not even near what some people are earning here, but the last six months, I have finally seen some of the light at the end of the tunnel! I deleted a lot of low score articles, I went and just changed some sentences and words, checked for mispelled words-(FYI) there is an "abc" tab to click on in the capsule, I just discovered what it meant after 10 years, it highlights mispelled words.

I am now actually hitting the payout for the last 3 months. I had almost 50 articles, and have deleted over half, I believe or almost half; again, to reiterate, I'm not hitting the jackpot over here but at least I'm happy and that's all that counts.

Hang in there, keep writing and like the others said; quality is the key, not quantity. You may do well on just five articles if they're written properly. Amazon is actually starting to pay off for me on just one article, so it is enticing me to want to write more articles that have the capability of adding products that associate with my article.

Also, as others have mentioned, I would rather see an article that has a a couple of products that are helpful to me. If I see more than 3, I feel more like they're trying to sell me something and I leave the page asap.

2. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

You do not need to write more, but should learn more SEO. lobobrandon recently published a very helpful article on SEO for hubbers ( https://hubpages.com/community/HubPages … -SEO-Guide ) and you should read it and follow his suggestions. Go back and edit what you have instead of starting on new articles.
    No, not the recipe articles. I do not think it matters a lot how good they are--you are not going to be seeing much traffic from them.
    As far as earning on Amazon, I will point out something that Bev (theraggededge) has mentioned in her previous posts. She uses links, instead of Amazon capsules, and sees much better results. (Amazon capsules are not seen by those running adblockers. Links are always visible.) My products are always something to do with improving the dogs health and I wanted an image so I was not a fan of those links until recently; when I experimented and changed a few my sales went up immediately and it is a rare day that I do not have a decent income from Amazon.
    I ran one of your Dengarden articles through Ubersuggest and saw some alternative questions that you can add. You can get that info from reading Brandon´s article.
    Sometimes editing can be more work than coming up with a new article. The increased traffic is worth the effort. Good luck.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

These days I get a monthly payment more often than not.  But only a handful of hubs make that money.  I learned very late that quality is far more important than quantity.  I suspect some hubbers learned that earlier and do much better.

4. Ekcedeon profile image89
    Ekcedeonposted 5 years ago

Hi, VVanNess. What DrMark is so true, I can't help but emphasize it some more. I consider myself new here, but I have managed to learn a great deal of information by digging through the forum - and I must admit that it is paying off.

Like most new hubbers - when I joined HP I was focused on quantity instead of quality SEO optimized articles. 

I was making pennies from about 15 articles - but when I realized that writing quality SEO  articles is the best way to gain more views and earn more - I deleted a few of my article, and keep a few that I knew had potential to do well. With the few that I keep - I focused my attention on editing them with SEO in mind......not keyword stuffing, but user-friendly articles that can satisfy and engage your visitors.

For me, it proved to be a good move, because soon after, my views and earnings skyrocketed.

So my best advice to you is to study your niche then tailor your articles to suit with SEO in mind. I know you won't have any problem writing quality articles, but optimize them for the search engines.

All the best and God bless.

5. VVanNess profile image76
    VVanNessposted 5 years ago

I can't thank everyone enough! But I have some questions...

theraggededge: what do you mean "go delete those repeated posts"?

Drmark1961: how did you run an article through Ubersuggest? I'd like to do that with all of mine.

What if I work hard to make my subtitles searchable and the editors change them all? I've noticed the Hubpages editors adding much bigger words when I was trying to keep them simple, deleting a lot of my content, and changing subtitles I worked hard to research into some that I wouldn't even search for...

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You posted this topic in the forums at least three times.  Probably some kind of glitch.

VVanNessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol That's funny. I didn't see that.

2. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You've posted the same question three times on the forums, so two of them are live now. It's confusing. Well, it is for me, anyway. I'm easily confused smile

Oh man. Thanks!

3. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is the link
      https://neilpatel.com/ubersuggest/
      For an article on household cleaners, just type in "household cleaners" and see what comes up. You can also try "homemade household cleaners" or whatever variations seem good. Be sure to read Brandon´s article.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image92
        Bedbugabscondposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have a homemade household bed bug killer article that is in the snipit. Def worth getting some seo into the home made cleaning articles, it helps a ton,

6. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I think Bev meant Answerthepublic.com, which is listed in the above article linked by Dr. Mark.

7. hardlymoving profile image91
    hardlymovingposted 5 years ago

I see you like to write about making food.  Suggest your articles explain how you use various cooking tools and utensils to make them.  Then the reader can go shopping on Amazon to find them.  If they make a purchase, you get the commission credits.  Also do both a Bing and Google search on an article that's at least 1 year old and see if it appears on page 1.  If not, you may want to re-edit the article with specific words that people may be searching for.  Augmenting your most visited articles with video(s) would be very helpful.  I've updated most of my articles with youtube imbedded links and my article visits have gone up by 50% and my ad revenue by over 100% in the last 5 months since I started doing videos.  I do auto repair DIY articles so my readers are buying tools and parts on Amazon.  Some of these parts in in the hundreds of dollars so the commission more than pays for my lunch for the day.

What a great idea! Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to break into the YouTube market. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)