What is "H2"?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

"H2" has been mentioned in the forum and now it is in the guide. What is it?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Best guess.

This has to do with html. It is a heading signature. It is how one does with significance. Google is random on that. Be careful.

Kenna McHughposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You guess is as good as mine. I googled it and nothing came up.

I'm kinda inclined to write you off, no big deal.

Dang! Poppy seeds!

Good answer.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you look at the top of the hub tool you'll see "paragraph".  Under that you'll see H1, H2 and H3.  These are different sizes of subheadings.  I use H2 fairly often if I am writing a long capsule but want to section it off but keep the info within the same capsule.  It's a great tool that saves a lot of headaches.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Thank you, everyone. This is very helpful.

1. robhampton profile image93
        robhamptonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There's definitely some smart ass people on here! (I mean that in a good way lol, not "smartasses")

You probably mean me on this thread; I apologize for that and is not my normal behavior; been/was a wicked/cruel day; I'm usually one of the good guys.

2. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

This page might help:

https://www.woorank.com/en/edu/seo-guides/html-header

Of course, "H2" might just mean half a glass of water.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Nope, H2 would just be 11.1% of a glass of water big_smile

2. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh!

3. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

It means Heading 2. You have Heading 1, which is like the main page title. H2 is a subtitle. When you are editing a capsule, you can highlight the text and turn it into H2, H3 or H4 by using the drop-down menu that says 'paragraph' by default.

The headings are picked up by Google, which is why we tell people to use meaningful subtitles.

H4 has been taken away from that dropdown and now the team is changing my H3s and making them H2s as they go around editing. I have complained to Robin about this before and she always asked for instances where they did this because they shouldn't. Two hubs last night and I emailed Robin and got an auto response that the email does not exist anymore.

I used headings to help orgainse stuff for readers and SEO too, and I've been losing out on my snippets after editors goof around with my headings. Changing it back does not get me my snippet, not immediately.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

The hp staff are now using maven.io addresses. I am pretty sure the first part of the email address is the same.

I assumed this was the case, but @maven.io? I'll give it a try. I wonder why forwards were not set up.

EDIT: @maven.io and @themaven.net with the same first part failed. Was worth the try.

Sorry, you can't get in touch with Robin. That is odd. Question about using the H2: When I drop down the and pick H2, the whole capsule is formated H2. How do you H2 a single line or phrase? Is this possible?

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
              Glenn Stokposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Kenna, You need to highlight the text you want as H2 and then select H2 from the drop down selections.

2. lobobrandon profile image89

H2 and H3 etc are for headings. So An entire line has to be a heading. If the line is a part of a paragraph the entire paragraph will be H2. Just create a line break (new line) and make your heading the heading.

Glenn and Brandon, Thank you. I will give this a try.

EDIT: It worked. big_smile

Cool smile

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Great! smile

3. Marie Flint profile image73
              Marie Flintposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, after you type the line you want headed, you have to go back and select Paragraph or whatever format you want.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
            DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Just today I received an email from tbuchin@maven.io
            If you send it to her you can ask that she forward it to Robin. I know that maven.io is correct but I am not sure if Robin changed the first part of her email address.

Cool will do.
              Edit: just saw Glenns reply.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96

Robin's new email address is redmondson@maven.io

Perfect! Thanks.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi, theraggedge, your comment means seriousness here. Thanks for weighing in, and enjoy the weekend.

3. Marie Flint profile image73
      Marie Flintposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Best answer in my opinion. Blessings!

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

I agreed, and simple too. Thanks.

4. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

It's an HTML tag. When you create a webpage, it's converted behind the scenes into a Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) text file. When you view a webpage, your browser downloads the HTML source file for the page and interprets it so that it knows how to position, colour and size the text, position photos etc. Webpage design packages will do the donkey work of generating HTML code, but it can also be written from scratch.
    A H2 tag would be used like this in an HTML file:

<h2> Some text for a title </h2>

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

But HP is not doing anything with HTML on its site, okay?

1. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's built in to the source code. All websites run on HTML, and when you use a subtitle, those tags are added, even though you can't see them.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 4 years ago

I've noted your good recent comment on the issue, and I quite understand it. Thanks for this additional insight. You're always be welcomed.

6. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

Lauren, we're not permitted to post self-promotional links. You'd best delete it.

Edit: You also cannot promote your own sites in articles. If you thought that HubPages is a marketing site, then you need to know that it isn't. It's a site for writers.

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, she's gone.

It happens.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)