Shout Out

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 4 years ago

This is a shout out to thank those of you who have continued to follow me or have given me a follow, even when you see my score of '33'. It dropped one day (out of the blue). I suspect I was voted down (back when we could still do that)
    No explanation from HP, although numerous attempts have been made.
    I love writing, I follow the rules, I have many articles that go straight to niche sites. It is an embarrassing score, no doubt! No one wants to be the last name on the 'Following' list, but that is where I reside.  I've lost followers, have only gained a few over many years and have yet to see a payout, but I am holding my head high, will continue writing and I'll not be intimidated into quitting.
    Thank you to the few of you for your continued words of encouragement and support. You know who you are.
    AB

2. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

How strange. Maybe one of the team will see this?

abwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think I know what happened and when it happened, but I have no evidence.
      I just keep plugging. Thanks for the follow.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

You've been here seven years, have written 125 articles, and you've never made payout? Wow. Obviously, something is not working for you. I have a couple of suggestions.

You say "I follow the rules," but the half dozen articles I checked were not the informative, magazine-style articles that HubPages asks us to write. The ones I saw, at random, are heavily slanted opinion pieces filled with unsubstantiated assertions (Al Gore "is the equivalent of Satan." Really?)

You have a right to your opinions and to express them, but your articles read like blogs and HP is not a blogging platform. Understand that such diatribes are unlikely to make it onto niche sites, which is where the readers and money are.

You say "I have many articles that go straight to niche sites." Actually you have seven on your profile page, and they're all on Letterpile, which, I believe, doesn't generate much income.

Also, all the articles I checked have images that are not Creative Commons licensed. You can't lift images from Reuters, ABC News, or The New York Times without permission and, likely, payment of a fee. You leave yourself open to being charged.

Hi Rupert, I was not giving you a shout out, obviously!
      FYI, if I use a picture from the NYT, for example, I will credit the NYT.
      I've never referred to Al Gore as Satan, he presides over the Church of Climate Change, not Satan....as far as I can tell.
      I have an interest in U.S. politics and that is what I write about most often.
      I understand that you do not share this same interest, I would not expect a follow from you.
      Take care and God Bless
      AB

2. greenmind profile image93
      greenmindposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Rupert, this is about as even-handed and useful a critique as one can give. I, for one, took something useful away from your thoughtful and generous advice.

4. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

But, Ms. Williams you absolutely did call Al Gore the "equivalent of Satan" in your article "The Church of Algore: Shout Amen and Pass the Prius (Everything Else on the Road Certainly Does)"

https://hubpages.com/politics/The-Churc … ainly-does

And I quote:

"The man has had a long and impressive career, but nowadays, he is the equivalent of Satan...well at least as far as the Church of Algore is concerned."

I don't understand how you can now deny writing what you have written, and please don't be so ungracious as to edit out that sentence so that others may not see it. If you make a statement of that sort then you have to be able to defend it with evidence.

Read it again sir.
      I don't believe for a second that Al Gore has had a long and impressive career, I am referring to John Coleman, the founder of the weather channel and how he has been treated.

5. shanmarie profile image69
    shanmarieposted 4 years ago

At the risk of offending you (it seems I'm good at that lately, especially if I offer an unsolicited suggestion). . .I do agree that the opinion pieces do not do as well on HP. You've also got a highly unique style when writing those pieces, which, in my opinion, is a good thing, but in the world of SEO technicalities is generally not such a good thing. I don't understand why your score is THAT low, though. I'm glad you haven't stopped writing. Too many people have left here for one reason or another.  (P.S - I've never made a payout either, probably because most of my pieces are poetry and not those "magazine-style" pieces when I do write an informative article.)

6. abwilliams profile image69

I've yet to be offended by you Shannon, I recognize constructive criticism when I see it.

1. shanmarie profile image69
      shanmarieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's good to know. Maybe you and one on other person here have I blurted out my suggestions without thinking twice beforehand....and never been criticized for it by either one of you. It's kind of a habit developed from high school and college years. Constructive-criticism was encouraged for writing and, in some cases, required. Sometimes I wish that we could get more of that around here without having to post it specifically in the forum designed for that kind of feedback. Because the forum mostly gives feedback for writing for success on HP and not about the writing in general. It's not always easy to hear, but we get better that way. And we clarify things that maybe aren't as clear as we thought. Get rid of things that don't need to be included or add things that do. . .etc.

Agreed Shannon.

7. abwilliams profile image69

....and since I have opened this can of worms, there are several writers, here at HP, one in particular uses different 'aliases', that continually tear down our President.
    With every word they put into print; they demean, degrade, insult, the current President of the United States, along with all of his supporters. It goes way beyond criticism and a difference of opinion, it is hate speech and yet...they get a high score and a pass!
    Why is that?

Traffic? People tend to go hang out on the divisive hubs to argue. About the author and his or her supporters as much as the topic itself. Maybe you need an alter ego that runs around ticking people off on purpose. wink  I mean, since we're talking politics....I'm sure Trump knows exactly what he's doing half the time when he opens his mouth or tweets something to set people off.

8. abwilliams profile image69

In order to improve my score at this point in my illustrious career with HP, I'll need an alter ego, to fall in love with Al Gore and come up with some ugly adjectives for President Trump. wink

Or you could just write more evergreen, informative articles that don't interest you. But what's the fun in that?

True, there is no fun in that, but there is fun...and an interest, in sports! I may come back as a sports guy!

You can write about those performance-enhancing Bible verses, too!

9. abwilliams profile image69

Yes!!
    The young athlete was caught red-handed with the words in red, in his hands.....
    smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)