STRANGE NAMES

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 52 discussions (76 posts)
  1. Moneylady profile image64
    Moneyladyposted 14 years ago

WHAT WAS THAT NAME?

Years ago my friends sister, Carol Lee Thompson, married Mike Water. It was not a match made in Heaven, so the marriage soon ended.

When she started dating again, her new beau was David Faucett.

We teased her that if they got married she would become Carol Lee Thompson Water Faucett.

~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~~*~*

How fun names can be!

I now work for one of the largest travel agencies in the world and we make reservations for one of the largest government contracts in the world. Some of the names of our callers are priceless. Below are some real names of folks who have called in to make flight reservations.

I can tell you, when Donald Duke called in, it was hard to keep a straight face!

That one started my name collection. Some are cute, some are strange, some are the same as famous people.

Enjoy...

If you know of an unusual name add it to our list!

Crumble Adams

David Frankenstein

Mitch Miller

Gary Hugaboom

Alfred Bernard Stubblefield

Jeremy Turnipseed

John Hopkins

Princess

Rusty Waters

Paul Worms

Chris Kress

Joe Noyes (No-Yes???)

Amy Snoots

Robyn Williams

Sea Wing Chan

North

Bunker Hill

Cole Shaw

Denim

Robert Kennedy

Gary Cooper

Rocky Hudson

Bill Bell

Darrin Drinkwater

Jason Drinkwater

Nelson Eddy

Andy Hardy

Tom Collins

Sterling Stumf

Sheri Wine

Randolph Dziendziel

Terry Toot

Ed Blob

Tom Jones

Richard Smiley Couch

Tom Jones

Ed Funk

Tom Sawyer

WHO DO YOU KNOW????

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I could write a book about the strange names I've encountered as a teacher! In fact, I'm working on a hub about this very topic.

Here are just a few actual names I've encountered:

Sarah Eates Dix

Tequila Tuesday

Colorado Utah Hill

Mary Christmas

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sarah Eates Dix?  You've GOT to be kidding! lol

Got a speeding ticket in South Dakota one night in 1975.  Patrolman's name was Robert Assman.  I'm pretty sure most people he ticketed would agree he was properly named, though he wasn't mean about it or anything.

Lady in Spokane, WA, named Betty Bone.  I worked for the Aetna, where we insured her store:  Betty Bone's Boutique.

Without question the top one I've personally encountered was an assistant undertaker at a funeral home by the name of Robin Graves.

3. FranyaBlue profile image74
    FranyaBlueposted 14 years ago

I used to work in a hospital, came across funny names all the time like Dr Pannik

1. NewYorker profile image59
      NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I work at a hospital with a Dr. Gunk.

4. Mamelody profile image60
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

Elizabeth Hornswaggle... Ross' girlfriend in friends.. I can never stop laughing at that name.

I do know a bloke around here who runs a liquor store. His name is Mr Tittisuckle smile

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Our former Insurance agents name was Cherry Hill it was the oddest name I had ever heard, my cousin married her husband and his last name is Wine her first name is Brandy imagine that Brandy Wine? lolololo We still tease her but love her anyway. big_smile

6. HubPagesReport profile image58
    HubPagesReportposted 14 years ago

This forum posts thread really very interesting to me. I like this forum thread smile

Moneyladyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It should be a fun one!

7. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

One year I volunteered out in Tulsa, OK at a nursing home and met Mrs. "Never" Fail, she and I played cards for hours on end together.  Her husband also had a brother, unfortunately his parents had named him "Will".  Sad but true.

I have met several Mary Christmas' in my lifetime but the best was a woman whose parents took it the whole way and named her "Merry".

That's funny! Poor kid having to grow up with a name like that. My brother told me the funniest name he heard was in the navy. There was a guy named Harry Ozz ... Now that's just WRONG! He said no one ever let up on him.

8. Moneylady profile image64

I think this will be a really fun forum! A girl I knew from work got married to Steve Grandy ... She became Brandie Grandy.

9. AnythingArtzy profile image66
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

When I worked as a telemarketer I had a name pop up on my screen and I was so glad it was an answering machine because I couldn't have said her name without laughing.  "Mrs. Fart"

10. Sa Toya profile image84
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Harry Sidebottom

His accent made it sound like Hairy Sidebottom

11. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I knew a girl in school whose last name was Little, Yep her not to bright parents named he Ineda
    "Ineda Little" the poor girl never had a moments rest.

Hi Ohma, It is so sad when parents give kids names like that. What are they thinking????

12. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

I also worked in hospitals and came across many strange and funny names.

There was a newborn whose last name was Sane. His parents named him Justin. So he was...

Justin Sane

13. Sara Tonyn profile image60

Names on medical charts are often listed last name first. There was a man named William Hill, Jr. whose chart read:

Hill Billy Jr.

14. Sara Tonyn profile image60

A player on the Cleveland Browns football team was named

Fair Hooker

15. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I swear to God I have a friend not far from here his name is Richard Head, we all know whats short for Richard, ya. Honestly is your last name was Head why would you call your son Dick short for Richard.
    I am thankfully glad I never married him, can you imagine that, everyone would have teased me that I was married to a Dic..ead!!!

16. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

I knew a guy named Chris Bruce...It took me months to figure out his first name because it was always listed as Bruce, Chris

17. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I went to a school with a Richard Head, which in turn they called him "Dick Head"  how awful is that?

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here Ladybird I was just saying that gawd there are so many dickheads running around?

18. Sa Toya profile image84
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Yohanna Phukitt

I'm sure you can figure that one out...yep it's a real name. If you can't figure it out.. you wanna F*ck it! but it's more Fu as in You...never the less you know what kids are like...let alone high school teens

Doug Doug, another real name

A girl called Tommorrow...never went down well in the 'hey what's your name?'

'Tomorrow...'
    'no tell me today'
    'Yeah Tomorrow'

19. Sara Tonyn profile image60

There is/was a race car driver named

Dick Trickle

20. bonny2010 profile image61
    bonny2010posted 14 years ago

Gota cousin whose name is Anthony Nut..he always got  ANut for short

1. Sara Tonyn profile image60
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

21. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

Years ago I went to school with a boy named Storm Woerner and if memory serves me correct, he had quite a temper!
    Then there was also a kid named Harry Flemming. Oh and he was my reading buddy. I was always hoping that he wasn't like the average boy-namely my brothers- who was more than ready to cough up a loogy at anytime of the day!

22. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

My sister's first name starts with B. She worked in the loan department of a bank where she often had to initial documents.
    When she married a man whose last name started with S, she always felt uncomfortable about writing "BS" on someone's application.
    My aunt Vella said she always wanted one of those monogrammed blouses with her initials. When she married, she gave up the idea, because her initials became "VD".

23. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

I have found that names sometimes tells us what a person does for a living.

A nurse I work with is Deborah Nurse

A doctor who does surgery on his patients at our hospital is Dr. A. Asalone
    He's a Proctologist and does colorectal surgery.

Another doctor  who is a Urologist,  which is medicine that deals with disorders of the urinary system and other male problems, is Dr. Cockburn.

A Psychiatrist, Dr. J. Looney

I'm very hesitant about the next one, but it's real.

A Gynecologist, Dr. B. Beaver

These aren't the only doctors with these names as at least one can be found in every state.

Other Doctor Names:

Dr. J. Cure
    Dr. G. Ricketts
    Dr. Lana Cain
    Dr. Harry Bear

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
      Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or if you choose a certain career field and your parents failed to name you aptly then you just change your name. I know of an orthodontist who changed his name to, what else, but...Dr. Toothman!

24. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

I had a friend in school whose name was Laura Weiser...her dad's name was Bud!

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Were their kids Bud lights?

2. Moneylady profile image64

That's Funny!

25. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

My son's teacher is D. Allphin, yes it becomes Dolphin.

26. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

I've heard of a Dr. Paine

a woman named Ima Hogg (her parents had a sick sense of humor)

Dr. Pepper (no joke! he was a colleague of my first roommate)

Chris Cross - an illustrator I knew

27. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I used to be friends with a girl at school, her first name was Crystal. Second name Claire. Last name Rivers.

My name isn't that common, and people online often assume that i'm a guy because my name is Marcel.

28. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

I had a boss once named Winterbottom, of course we called him blizzad a$$...

I went to school with a guy named Michael Hunt. (seriously)

...and yes we were not allowed to call him Mike.

29. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

My dad told me a story about a guy in the States who called his daughted SHITHEAD

Pronounced Shif-fead but spelt Shithead.

Poor kid!

30. Moneylady profile image64

I knew a guy here in San Antonio named Sammy Nakedhead. Lucky for him he had a full head of silver hair!

31. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

There is a car dealer named Dick Witham

32. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Hugh G. Rection

33. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

Ima Pigg, and her sister Ura Pigg.  Kid you not, I found them in the phone book when I was in highschool. 

There's a great website for real, funny, names:  google Baby's Named a Bad Bad Thing and click on the first link!  It's worth a belly laugh. smile

34. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Haywood Jablomi

35. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Strawberry Shortcake

not kidding.. sadly.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what if she wants to be a lawyer or an investment consultant? Now she'll have to be a stripper.

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup. Pre-determined career because of a parent's poor name choice. So sad.

2. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wait, what's wrong with (wow, crazy alliteration Batman!)Strawberry Shortcake?

36. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Ben Dover

I have even more fun putting together press kits for people who's email addresses have to fit a corporate standard.
    Usually, it is the first initial and the last name, followed by the domain...

So poor Tamara Witt's email address is:
    twitt@____.com

37. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

What about the same first name, last name??

I once knew a Billy William...William William (are you kidding me?) Why would anybody do that to a child!!!

I know a surgeon named Thomas Thomas.

1. drej2522 profile image68

Strange...so strange smile

A little strange, but it saves some confusion for people. With a last name like Frank (or Thomas,or Glenn, or Luke or John ... etc.) People in our family are always getting their first and last names switched.

2. Sara Tonyn profile image60
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've seen that a lot and I don't get it either:

George George

Thomas Thomas

James James

David David

Louis Louis

1. drej2522 profile image68

Interview with one of the parents...

Parent: "I don't know, I just couldn't think of another name. Geez, what do you want from me??"

1. Chloe Comfort profile image60
          Chloe Comfortposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I once worked with a man named George George. Two sets of parents with the same bad idea smile

38. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I was talking with somebody and he handed me his business card: Sal Minella

I thoughtlessly said, it's a good thing you're not a chef!  He wasn't amused.

39. Sara Tonyn profile image60

I've seen this name twice in hospitals I've worked at, and they were 2 different men:

Dr. Doctor

Also worked with a urologist named

Dr. Streem

40. wsp2469 profile image61
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

My Theatre Arts teacher in high school was named Robert T. Roberts.
    I heard of a black woman who named her daughter Mercunia or something along those lines.  The name is a derivative of the medical term for baby poop.

When I worked in retail back East I had a regular customer named Mrs. Batman.  I don't know her first name.  Everyone told her to name her daughter Robin when she was born.

Seriously . . .

I have two gay fans named Stan Dupp and Ben Dover.
    Well, that's what they call themselves.

My name IS Phoenix and . . .  that's the bottom line.

41. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

While waiting for my car to be serviced there were many people being called by intercom. I heard "Latrina please come to the office" Father must have been military.

Then they called "USA, please come to the office" I had to ask about this one. Seems one of the car salesmen was named United States of America but was called USA for short

42. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

my dad, eddie hennie married penny and she was the called penny hennie instead of hennie penny...and we have my sons friends girlfriend who is called Rainbow, last name Brite....the same son, all his friends nicknamed him Hole so he is called
    matt hole, and all his friends called his mother,
    mom holio

43. wsp2469 profile image61
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

I know a guy named Brian who got in trouble as a kid and his parents were worried something bad would happen to him.
    So they had another son and named him Justin because they never wanted to be without a child.
    Their LAST name?
    CASE

They had a SECOND son . . . Justin Case.

I already mentioned my one teacher Robert Roberts.
    My father has a first name of Willard and a second name of William so either way he is Will or Bill.

44. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I had a friend, who passed away who's last name was Canada..he was Joshua..his younger brother was named JUSTIN

JUSTIN CANADA..

then there was Harry Zepphyr......over the loud system it always sounded like "hairy Zipper, please report to the office"...lol
    poor guy!

1. wsp2469 profile image61
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kerry, don't you have a twin named Cashin?

1. profile image0
        B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol..no...hehe..thats funny if you think about it though

45. Moneylady profile image64

Hi everyone ... It looks like you are having fun with this!

46. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

Brilliant threads, haven't laughed so much in ages!  My sister retired from the teaching profession 3 years ago, after many years of working with kids with challenging behaviour.  She enquired as to the new childs Christian name and he replied "Satan".  He wasn't kidding, it was in writing on his birth certificate!!!

47. Moneylady profile image64

One night after church 4 of us went to a very crowded busy downtown restaurant. Margie went up to the hostess and gave her last name and was told the wait would be at least 30 minutes. After a long wait an announcement came over the intercom "Enny party of 4. Enny party of 4 - your table is ready."

The poor hostess was bombarded with a gazillion groups of 4 all waiting for a table!

Margie Enny said next time she would give her first name NOT her last!

That is a great story.

I have friends who have a French surname which is apparently not possible to be pronounced by many young Americans-- they always give their name at restaurants as "Lee".

48. Moneylady profile image64

My grand daddy name was John. I always wondered why everyone called him Jack ?????

And how does William turn in to Bill????

And Margret turns into Peggy?

Any clue to the reasoning behind that?

49. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

My fathers name was Ford Rollin..My uncle named one of his sons Justin Edsel...I recently saw a story of a woman named Marijuana Pepsi...can't remember what her job was but a sign outside of her office said something like "Have a seat if waiting for Marijuana"...L0L

50. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

Moneylady,
    How does Richard become Dick?...Maybe it has more to do with the person than the name in some cases..L0L

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)