Traffic has taken quite a significant hit!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. hclpd profile image93
    hclpdposted 4 years ago

Is anyone else noticing the same trend? The traffic has been on a steady decline - something I have gotten used to - but it has plummeted today.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 4 years agoin reply to this

All ok as far as I can tell on Owlcation. Google updates are ongoing - some of these 'hits' are major but most minor. It's fascinating and often frightening to read some of the articles on these updates, which must affect us all eventually one way or the other. It's like being out at sea waiting for the waves to grow higher and hoping not to get swamped.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is down lately too, but for a reason. Traffic from the U.S. often drops between Thanksgiving and New Year's because of vacations and people busy with holiday shopping.

If you use Google Analytics, try comparing the last 30 days with the same period a year ago. My traffic is actually up.

1. NessMovieReviews profile image83
        NessMovieReviewsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I didn’t think to do that. I haven’t noticed a decline on Hubpages but my website is down in stats

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It may simply mean that your website is more sensitive to holiday declines than your HP account because of differences in content.

3. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My traffic (to all hubs that usually perform significantly better) is about 70% lower than what has been normal for more than a year. I wondered if other hubbers are experiencing a traffic drop and, if so, does HP Admin have a reason for it?

1. JayeWisdom profile image89
        JayeWisdomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Actually, mine dropped some in December, but much more this month.

2. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 4 years ago

Same for me.

3. viking305 profile image94
    viking305posted 4 years ago

Yes it has been very bad these past few weeks

4. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

It was dropping all during November, My views are down across the board 40% since September, but have improved somewhat during Friday. Apparently there was an update on 4th December. It depends I suppose on what site you write on.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Search engine machinations never end! big_smile

And then there is the seasonal factor. Yep, my traffic is also grim. All we can do is wait until January.

And then sometimes there is the theft factor where the search engines inadvertently put the copy ahead of the original. Personally, I've learned to check for that every now and then.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

But...you said that all we had to do was wait until December!

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Your thread prompted me to do some checking. The hackers are still fooling Google in spades. What a pain in the neck, it just never ends.

7. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 4 years ago

Me too sigh.....

8. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 years ago

Bad traffic, worse Google results. I've said it so many times - the Google updates this year aren't intuitive and I have to go past the first page of SERPs to find what I want. Really frustrating as a creator and a searcher.

9. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

Yes. One doesn't need to rely on one's own stats either. You can go to a site that monitors traffic to websites (eg Ubersuggest) and see how there's been falls to niches beginning in September. I hope HP has a response plan. It would be nice if they told us. We don't seem to get much info nowadays.

10. john000 profile image91
    john000posted 4 years ago

My traffic is down about 50%. It might be seasonal. Let's hope so.

11. Ben716 profile image91
    Ben716posted 4 years ago

I started experiencing a drop in traffic and earning rate for November 2019. The difference in views between November-December 2018 and November-December 2019 is not huge but the earning rate has decreased significantly. I earning 50% of what I used to earn.

12. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

The January 2020 Core Update has been in progress since Jan 13th, so this may account for recent drops in traffic.

1. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
      Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, Eugbug! My traffic is mostly up the past couple of days so perhaps the core update explains this.

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is up compared to the same period last year.  Earnings are about the same though.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I had an epic couple of weeks due to one particular article suddenly blowing up, but the burst seems to have ended cuz my traffic has fallen off a cliff over the past few days. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Mine's down a couple of thousand - it was doing okay up till yesterday.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, my slide continues even as I type this. Yikes! Sherman, set the Way-Bac Machine for two weeks ago when I was rollin' in them Benjaminz!

2. Jeremy Gill profile image92
        Jeremy Gillposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Same for me, but it happens every year around mid-January.

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

I worked up the energy to do Analytics charts from Dec 1, 2019 thru yesterday for both my website and HP. Both have doubled from my December lows. Barring any catastrophes, I expect the trend to continue. As we all know, it's all about topic selection and time-of-year. I'm feeling downright optimistic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)