Where is hubpages support?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

I have now three times posted in the technical forum. Once I received no response - about the search function not working. The second time Matt eventually came on, and it took awhile to convince him that the search function wasn't working. Eventually I discovered that if one banned third party cookies, then the search function didn't work (always a good idea to stop third party cookies from gaining access to one's laptop).

I have now posted again because, increasingly, anything I post goes to the South African internet first. I can tell because the first dozen hits are always from South Africa, and, also increasingly, the more South African hits there are, the less traffic there is from the first world.

I received responses from hubbers - not from Hubpages technical department. How are hubbers going to know what is going on at the backend? They don't.

While I fully understand the rationale that if one lives in a particular country, then one is inclined to want things from that country - about 95% of people want things from that country. People like me, who move one from country/continent/city at the drop of a hat, write specifically for the first world - the rich world - the place which is the most educated, has the most money, and has the most web users.

South Africa - this is not.

Vast numbers live in tin shanties, the average income is $400 a month, and we are the country with the most rape, the greatest inequality gap, and outside gang warfare and real warfare, are the most violent country in the world.

I can assure you that nobody is interested in whether Trump wins an election, whether two days in Edinburgh is a good investment, or whether the latest Mars probe will prove Robert Heinlein right.

The internet is very much still the way it was in the 90s in many respects. Business use the web to generate leads. In other words, they don't give you prices or the kind of information that allows you to compare products on the web. Instead, they give a phone number and an address - so that are a lead they can sell to.

Buying on the web is a nightmare. I have two banks. Every time I buy with one card, the bank stops me in case it is fraud. It then sends me an urgent text telling me someone is attempting to buy something on the web with my card. I am dreading the fact that sometimes this week I have to buy return tickets to the States.

Paypal?

We can't just have a paypal account in South Africa.

No, we are forced to open a bank account with a South African bank (only one bank), then that bank will draw and pay on our behalf. It used to take 6 or 7 days for our payments to come through. Now it is down to two days. Although I am still waiting for a payment from another site that was supposedly put through last week.

Most writing companies won't deal with South Africa. Medium? Nope. I've lost track. Why? Because the bank regulations are such that most international websites don't make arrangements to pay South Africa.

Amazon wants to send me a cheque (that's British/South African spelling). Um. America stopped sending mail to South Africa because once it got to South Africa, the likelihood was that it would be stolen. So now it's courier only.

I'm going to London in March. Why? To set up various accounts from there. I've managed to change my Kindle settings so that royalties are paid into my British bank account.

So why am I telling you all this?

The point is that the 65 hits I might get from South Africa are pointless - particularly when it is at the expense of first world traffic.

I have no doubt that, somewhere in the recesses of hubpages backend, someone has set my account so that what I write is predominantly exposed to South Africa.

So I have questions.

1. Where is the support@hubpages.com? Is there such a thing? Because this is definitely not something someone on hubpages can answer. This is technical, and I expect technical questions to be answered by hubpage staff.

2. Is there anyway that my settings can be adjusted so that it is not focused on South Africa. I use a VPN which is set either to Chicago or to London. To no avail, it seems.

Hopefully I will be back in the EU by late next year.

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I checked the traffic of your top 5 articles and most of the search traffic is from the United States. The most likely source of the traffic from South Africa is from you visiting your own articles, not internal settings from HubPages. If you have any questions, please email team@hubpages.com.

TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Okay. Thank you. smile I didn't keep a check on that because initially I always see errors after I publish.

thank you.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What kind of setting is possible by HP so that Google, Bing and other search engines will primarily show your material to South Africans, while NOT showing it elsewhere?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I suspect this is Goggle's doing. As an example, two authors perceived to be from different countries/backgrounds/cultures (let's say one from USA and the other from France) write similar articles on the same topic. All else being equal, the USA article will index higher in the US and the French article will index higher in France. What with Google having different search engines and domains for each country, this makes perfect sense.

Does HP somehow make use of this Google methodology? I have no idea.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No.

The website needs to use hreflang tags to direct Google and other search engines if they want to target a specific country and HP has not done this.

Right now HP just has the "en" tag and therefore all articles are targetted equally across the globe for everyone who has set Google to search in English. You would have different competition in different countries and this is because there are going to be websites that target only specific countries. The US, for instance, has a lot of websites targetting just the US and therefore your article will rank lower on Google USA when compared to Google UK.

Search engines do set up a website for a single country if the top-level domain belongs to that country. .uk, .fr, .de, .in or whatever else it may be.

Brandon:

Here's where we find out.

https://backlinko.com/google-ranking-factors#google

So it's not language (English) - it's the country extension that is more of a determination as to Page Rank.

Ah, it's number 10.

QUOTE: 10. Country TLD extension: Having a Country Code Top Level Domain (.cn, .pt, .ca) can help the site rank for that particular country… but it can limit the site’s ability to rank globally.

Have to read through this lot of SEO factors.

1. Will Apse profile image90
              Will Apseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages.com is a .com,  not a .co.uk , .cn, .pt or any other country specific top level domain.

Yes, I understand that. But maybe it has different domains for different writers in different countries. We don't know how they are set up.

And I am not imaging what is happening to my traffic.

The bottom line here is despite your telling me what can't be happening, you haven't explained to me why I get South African traffic first.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
                  lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Matt explained one very likely scenario.

Also, you can see the domain. It's hubpages.com or dengarden.com or whatever else. What do you mean by they have different domains setup?

I concur with what Paul said in his last paragraph.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Exactly.

That is exactly what happens. Local is given preference.

What I don't get is that Hubpages servers are in the USA, so technically the new articles I write shouldn't initially go to South Africans. I seldom used to get traffic from South Africa when I lived in the EU, the UK, and the US.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

"The US, for instance, has a lot of websites targetting just the US and therefore your article will rank lower on Google USA when compared to Google UK."

???

So isn't that exactly my point?

That living in South Africa, my articles are more targeted to South Africa and not to the USA. South Africa, by the way has 11 different official languages. English is just one of many.

This is an Afrikaans google saying that google is available in South Africa in English, Sesotho, IsiZulu, IsiXhosa, Setwana, and Northern Sotho.
    "Google.co.za beskikbaar in: English Sesotho IsiZulu IsiXhosa Setswana Northern Sotho"

I'm not concerned with traffic to other English speaking countries - only to the USA.

And I don't agree with you on this, Brandon. The English tag has nothing to do with it. The search is not equal across the globe. Local matters.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Local matters for Google searching, but not the websites and hosting side of things.

I can assure you that when I am in the UK, it doesn't mean that I get less US views and more UK ones. The proportion of views doesn't significantly change from when I'm in the US.

Matt has given you a feasible  and practical explanation of why you might be getting getting more RSA views through visiting your own hubs. Others have explained the technical side. They are speaking the truth in my opinion. But if you want to disagree, I guess that's fine. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)