New Profile Features

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. samanthacubbison profile image81
    samanthacubbisonposted 3 years ago

Hi everyone!

We are excited to announce that we have added a few features to the author profile page on the new platform:

1. A “contact the author” button (unless disabled by the author)
    2. The written bio (if any)
    3. Social media links (if any)

Note: You may not see the update on your profile for up to 24 hours.

https://hubstatic.com/15205625_f1024.jpg

(I do not have a contact option/social links on my account, so you do not see those features in this screenshot.)

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update, Samantha. Hopefully, the other issues are fixed soon, too.

2. samanthacubbison profile image81
      samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

https://hubstatic.com/15206887.png

Here are the other features!

3. chef-de-jour profile image98
      chef-de-jourposted 3 years agoin reply to this

A good move to the relief of many.

4. EricFarmer8x profile image96
      EricFarmer8xposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I updated my bio to be a bit more general.

I wonder if people actually read it, though.

5. Abby Slutsky profile image92
      Abby Slutskyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Samantha. I am hoping the Amazon issues are fixed soon, but I am glad other things are progressing well.

6. JerryFisher profile image93
      JerryFisherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't like these changes at all. On Google I counted 23 ads down one of my articles, apart from the humungous distracting video at the top. And how come on an auto site I get ads for underpants and bad breath?
      This one article has now slipped from page two on Google right off the cliff - not to be found for its two keywords at all in the first 20 pages.
      My bet is that Google hate ad stuffing as much as they hate keyword stuffing.
      I'd really like to know from others if they've lost google ranking through this update.
      Hubpages used to be a worthy partner. We'd get half the revenue and 100% of the Amazon earnings. Great back in the days when Amazon were giving 8%. 100% of 8% was a real incentive to get writing. I can't blame Maven for Amazon's reduction to 3% but now 60% of 3% is barely worth the effort.
      But what's worse is that now with this ad stuffing, there's no longer a reader experience involved as they have to carefully trip between paragraphs so they don't click on an ad. Plus what takes up to 20% of the page is the Maven footer full of suggestions of alternative articles to read. Even I fell for one, so immediately leaving my own article behind.

7. Joy At Home profile image91
      Joy At Homeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This definitely seems like a step in the right direction! Thanks!

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

Good to note. But I realize these are not new and hot features. The old hubpages site contained them. However, positioning changes for the social media, as an example. I like and welcome these.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

That sounds great Samantha. But where do we write our Maven bio? I don't see that option anywhere.

It's the same bio as on your current HP profile.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Brandon. When I first looked, it wasn’t rendered yet. But it’s there now. And I updated my profile bio to relate better with Maven.

Sounds good.

4. profile image0
    Marisa Writesposted 3 years ago

Great!  I'm so relieved

5. NateB11 profile image86
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

I'm not as happy about this as others. Will have to update my bio because it's incongruent with the articles they are now attached to.

1. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Actually no problem, fixed. Generic internet bio better idea anyway.

6. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

NateB11 makes a good point. My bio talks about fish and football and birds and other things. When a reader on PetHelpful sees it, it kind of makes no sense because the only articles they can see are my pet articles.

And they can't get to my other articles even if they wanted to.

I mean, they could I guess, but they'd have to put in some work because there is no link to my main profile on HP. Which is fine, except the bio now makes no sense

I know a lot of writers are happy about this but to me it just seems to further confuse things. It would be better to have an individual bio for each niche site.

The bio on my niche account is much more relevant to the articles the reader will see. My bio on this account seems out of place.

So, for this account, since I mostly get traffic from PetHelpful should I taylor my bio to that? Or, should I just make a generic bio that says hello I'm a writer here I am.

1. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, precisely the point I was making, you fleshed it out well. For me, the bio was really for other writers on HP that want to follow me maybe or whatever, it's not niche specific. But when it is attached to a niche site article it basically makes no sense and is irrelevant.

2. lobobrandon profile image89

Good points. Is it possible to include a webpage link on a profile? We could in the past. If that is possible maybe say something on the lines of you write on these topics and are published in different online magazines (or whatever) and ask them to click the link to get a list of all your work. The link would point to your HP profile page.

Niche-specific bios would be the ideal fix.

7. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

Both Nate and Eric made good points. When I first saw my bio on the niche sites, I suddenly realized it no longer made sense for readers interested in one specific niche.

So I changed my profile bio to be more generic to work well with all the niche sites where my articles appear. I kept the parts that justify my Expertise, Authority, and Trust (E-A-T), but I removed all references to HubPages, keeping it short and to the point.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)