2021: A better year for views and earnings?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (40 posts)
  1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

Last year was awful in many ways, and that includes for hubbers. January 2020 started off with particularly low CPM's and therefore lower earnings. There's always a crash after the Christmas/New year period, but it was worse than usual. Never mind, we thought, at least we will get more Amazon sales due to everyone being locked down by the pandemic. Then Amazon slashed the affiliate percentages...

This year is shaping up better for me. I don't know how others are doing. The post-Christmas crash hasn't been so bad and while Amazon affiliate percentages are still low, at least I'm getting sales. I also have hopes that the updating of the niche sites will bring some steady improvements in views and earnings over time. Fingers crossed, anyway.

How are others feeling?

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
      letstalkabouteducposted 3 years agoin reply to this

CPM is ridiculously low for me. It's out of my control so it's quite discouraging.

2. CYong74 profile image96
      CYong74posted 3 years agoin reply to this

There was the expected plunge on Jan 1 but overall, this month is decent for me. The plunge wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, certainly nowhere near last year's. My traffic is also holding so overall, I predict this month would be decent. Possibly even better than what I had for Oct and Nov 2020.

3. Abby Slutsky profile image91
      Abby Slutskyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am glad most of you are doing better than I am. Although I was kind of light on my writing in December because it is my busy season with the baking business. Getting back to writing again, so maybe that will help.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years ago

It's going well for me so far. Views and earnings are up.

3. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 3 years ago

My earning are twice that of January 2020, and commensurate with January 2019.  Amazon sales are pennies, so CPM is up significantly over both previous January earnings.  Good news!

Having said that, my other account with remedy grove articles is in the toilet.  It may make payout every 18 months.

4. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 years ago

So far this month, CPM is lower than this time last year, but impressions are higher so earings are about 10% to 20% higher overall. There was a Google update around the weekend, so traffic has shot up for me.

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Same here.  CPM is in the toilet compared to last year, but my traffic is waaaay up, so my earnings are equally better.

What may have helped me is that I kept publishing new hubs regularly, regardless of CPM or traffic.  More hubs means more traffic for me because I write on gardening.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Traffic on  my seed sowing hub is starting to rise, a little earlier than usual.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I just compared my growing from seed hub and it's got a steep increase beginning on the 1st of Jan compared to last year where it began to shoot up on the 14th of Feb.

Maybe something to do with further lockdowns and people looking for things to amuse themselves with while at home. Or maybe paranoia about buying food in stores and folks wanting to grow their own? Or fear of food shortages in the UK because of Brexit? Some of my DIY hubs have increased traffic also.

Could be either of those reasons.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
      PaulGoodman67posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Eugbug- I did wonder if there had been a G update. I looked it up after I read your comment and read an article on SEO Round Table. Things have been so turbulent with lockdowns, etc. it's not easy to second guess traffic fluctuations nowadays. smile

As long as they don't reverse the changes which they often do with a secondary update that follows shortly afterwards.

Yeah, always takes updates a while to roll out and settle. I've learned to assess changes over weeks/months and not worry too much about day to day.

Also now that we're split into multiple niche sites, some sites do better than others. Anecdotally, my education/info hubs seem to be doing well, but some of the other stuff less so (that would fit with some hubbers doing better and others not so much). I originally put that down to colleges and schools going back, but then I saw the weekly figures in the HP newsletter, and they were so big I wondered about G updates...

5. Shesabutterfly profile image93
    Shesabutterflyposted 3 years ago

My CPM is down to 2017 numbers. Honestly not surprised. My CPM's and views have been falling since 2018 (which was my overal best year to date). Views are up a bit from Jan last year, so despite having lower CPM's I'm making about 3 dollars more for the same time frame. That makes me a bit more hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath.

Per GA my bounce rate has finally started to lower, and if that trend can continue and views stay up I will become more optimistic that things could turn around here. For now I'm riding it out and keeping my fingers crossed I can at least make payout every month.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Too early to tell. So far, looks like it's the same as it ever was (shrugs)

...on a road to nowhere ♪♫ ♪

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife!

2. MPG Narratives profile image59
      MPG Narrativesposted 3 years ago

I came back after a long break and noticed how readership has declined. So far this year has been ok, but it's still only cents. Let's hope 2021 is better for all of us.

1. OldRoses profile image94
        OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

MPG, I have a couple of suggestions for you.  First and most importantly, get your articles on to the network sites.  That's where the money is.  Also, update your articles every year.  Google tends to favor articles that have been updated during the current year.  It's a pain, but worth it.  I updated all of mine last January/February and my traffic jumped tremendously.  I am in the midst of updating my articles again for this year.  The editors probably hate me.  I have 300+ articles and the poor editors have to review each one that I update.  Sorry guys!

Yeah, editors are way more active than they used to be, maybe there's more of them. If I edit something, it's sometimes checked within hours nowadays.

3. GwennyOh profile image90
      GwennyOhposted 3 years ago

For me, earnings are down from 2020. Actually, they are almost identical to what they were, but I've published a number of new hubs since then, so contextually, revenue is down.

4. profile image0
      Amy hassanposted 3 years ago

I am here on HubPages for the last two months, and i had not earned even a single doller even after my 15 articles got published. I still can't figure out when a new hubber can start to earn in dollers, my daily earning is <0.1$ , even after getting so many views on my articles.

1. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

How many total views, on average, do you get per day?

5. profile image0

I think so atleast 50 on average. But when a new hub is published it get many more views. These days I am writing more actively, also getting views, but daily earning are <0.1$ mostly.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image93
        Shesabutterflyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

CPM is based on 1000 impressions not views. Views are different and do not always equate to impressions. You need at least a couple hundred views a day if you want to make the 50 dollar payout.That would equate to roughly 8 to 10k impressions a month (depending on average CPM).

It is going to be different for every one (different topics produce different ads and those ads have different CPM values), but it took me about 2.5yrs to make payout consistantly every few months, and almost 6yrs to make payout every single month.

I tend to write on topics that generally have lower CPM's compared to others, but I would say most people with high quality articles start seeing some kind of payout within 3 years. It will depend on your topics, article quality, and Google ranking (without search engine traffic it is extremely difficult to earn money) on how fast or slow you will start seeing earnings come in.

2. CYong74 profile image96
        CYong74posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Realistically, you have to achieve several hundred views per day before significant money rolls in.

Take note too:
        - Do a Google search for Tier 1 traffic. In short, Tier 1 traffic is from the US and developed countries and is much higher paying than Tier 2 and 3.

- I don't know about HP but for my blog, Adsense barely pays for social media traffic. I never get any significant revenue increases when I hit a social media traffic surge. Only when there is a search result surge.

3. MuhammadNaveed1986 profile image66
        MuhammadNaveed1986posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes you are right

6. profile image0

That's mean its a quite long journey to go. Where can i see my impressions?

1. Shesabutterfly profile image93
        Shesabutterflyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Under the earnings page click through to settings and go to the ad program reports. That page will show your impressions, average cpm, and earnings.

7. profile image0

Ok thank you Cyong, I hope so, I will get that type of traffic with time.

8. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

My traffic is not considerably up after the recent update, nothing that stands out. But my earnings are the best they have ever been for the month of January. Double that of Jan 2020 if things continue the way they are and definitely more than 2019. I'm only comparing HP Ad program earnings, not Amazon.

My thinking is that this situation is promising, considering we're at what is usually the worst time of year for earnings.

My assumption is that the HP to Maven sites move is seen favorably in Google's eyes, and we've benefitted from the recent algo update.

HP has gone down a few blind alleys and made some mistakes over the years, but generally they are good at knowing which direction to take.

Seems like it for now, hopefully, that is the case.

9. profile image0

Old hubber! what are your monthly earning? on average

1. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

There's no average. There are too many variables. Number of hubs, number of views, popularity of topic for advertisers.

The answer is between $0 and $10,000.

10. profile image0

And after how many months you guys started to earn on HP?

11. ziyena profile image92
      ziyenaposted 3 years ago

My traffic and earnings are up more than they've ever been ... but still, in comparison to those who've been consistently active I know I've got a long way to go

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)