Unusually low CPMs this month (January)

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (45 posts)
  1. OldRoses profile image94
    OldRosesposted 3 months ago

I'm noticing lower than normal CPMs on my hubs.  Way lower.  Like half or more.  Anyone else noticed this?

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yup, sadly so.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I hope these miserable CPMs mean the system has hit rock-bottom. We're as flat as can be.

The only way is up from here on in surely says the optimist. No we can go lower says the pessimist. Much lower says the realist. How about paying HP to write for them says the surrealist.

3. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 3 months agoin reply to this

It’s the same with my articles too. Every day, I find the views getting less and less.
      Not sure, when the declining views will stop, or will it stop at all!

4. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 2 months agoin reply to this

I wasn’t sure what was happening but I’m not even reaching payout, I think this will be the 2nd month in a row. It looked like to me maybe things were about to wind down so to speak but I wasn’t sure what was happening. Somebody said there’s a new CEO or something.

1. greenmind profile image94
        greenmindposted 2 months agoin reply to this

To be clear, no one at HP or the Arena Group has any control over CPM's. They are basically a feature of the world economy. We can go somewhere else, but it's like the story of the man under a tree in the rain, who thinks that when his tree is saturated he can just go to another one...

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 2 months agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right that they don't have any control over trends in the ad industry as whole.

The structure is also always the same in the sense that financial advice will always be more lucrative than poetry, whatever the system.

However, I believe Hub Ads is an in-house system so I think they do have some control over the advertising and revenues and therefore the CPMs.

I mean, when we switched from Adsense to Hub Ads, the CPMs seemed to go up dramatically.

Also, I'm sure that they maximize their income from advertising. However, what proportion we get is unclear as they no longer guarantee a 60/40 split, as far as I'm aware.

1. eugbug profile image97
            eugbugposted 2 months agoin reply to this

What do Hub Ads look like?

They resemble squirrels but they have longer tails and six legs.

Or maybe it's not a thing but a system/strategy, where they draw from a mixture of sources (including Google) and the makeup varies over time.

All the ads I see indicate "Ads by Google" when I click on the icon in the top right corner. I've never noticed anything different.

For sure, there's a preponderance of Google nowadays.

I wasn't suggesting that "Hub Ads" meant that HP design their own ads and videos.

I'm pretty sure that the fluctuations in CPMs over the years relate in part to corporate advertising strategies, though, they're not purely dependent on what's occurring in the wider world.

The CPMs went up dramatically when we moved from Google Adsense to Hub Ads. But now we seem to have gone back to 2010 in some ways.

If the automatic bid system knows what traffic is like, maybe less is offered for a bid. So the bidding finishes ends with lower prices paid when a reader loads a page and ads are served. I presume there's a mixture of paid for up front ads and bidding ones. I wonder would sponsorship of sites be more lucrative?

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
          Kenna McHughposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Good point. We have to work smart and better.

5. Oscarlites profile image70
      Oscarlitesposted 2 months agoin reply to this

its seems the last four days or so, they're all on vacation.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 months ago

Yes, it's particularly bad, one expects a dramatic drop after Xmas but this is dire.

I hope chef-de-jour is right about hitting rock bottom but every time I've thought so previously, the site has subsequently sunk even lower.

3. Eurofile profile image97
    Eurofileposted 3 months ago

Mine have been low for a while. The general downward trend is sadly matched by lower output too. I get far fewer notifications about new articles written by hubbers I follow. Some very prolific writers have either stopped, or more likely gone elsewhere.

PaulGoodman67posted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it looks like a vicious circle is happening. As the views and earnings drop, more writers drift away.

The other thing with creating evergreen content is that the internet gets increasingly saturated. Years ago, it used to be easy to find topics that weren't well-covered already. Not so nowadays.

The competition out there is so steep that HP has to be at the top of its game to survive and right now, it isn't.

The political posts on HP seem more prevalent, which doesn't help the writers improve their work or determine what is happening within the Internet and HubPages.

3. CYong74 profile image96
      CYong74posted 3 months agoin reply to this

I just did a comparison. Compared to 2022, my 2023 traffic and earnings dropped by 12++ percent. But this might not be a real drop because I only published two new hubs in 2023, whereas I published over 10 in 2022. I might have been able to maintain revenue levels had I published slightly more last year.

And so I don't think all hope is lost, yet. Things are undoubtedly going to be tougher this year but maybe there are still opportunities. The big question for me at the moment is whether I want to do the whole update-your-hubs-for-the-new-year task again, or use the time to write new stuff.

Ced, How about both?

1. CYong74 profile image96

I don't have the time and energy for both, unfortunately. I shouldn't say this but it's really wearisome to keep doing the same updating thing every Jan. It's like looking at New Year fireworks and thinking, sh*t, a whole mountain of editing work just began.

I tend to do my big edit in late summer/early fall before the (formerly lucrative) Xmas period. My New Year edit is typically just some basic stuff like checking Amazon links.

My traffic dropped by over 15% in December alone. It feels like every major algo update has been giving me drops of 15-20% for the past two years.

Early on in the decline, I was able to tread water at times. Prolifically producing new hubs seemed to cancel out the drops to some degree. Then even that stopped working.

If this was Squidoo, the site would've folded over a year ago. In fact, I was still actually making reasonable money at Squidoo when it went down, despite its decline.

I wish I could share your optimism. In theory, they certainly have the resources to figure out what the issues are with Google. I'm guessing they have a reasonable idea what the particular problems are but there's a barrier to fixing them, some sort of challenge... one can only speculate...

1. CYong74 profile image96

I have a Holidappy Christmas hub that I update every Nov/Dec. It has never been phenomenal in performance but I do at least get several hundred views each year end.

Last December, I don't think it even hit 200.

But on Jan 1, one of my sleepers suddenly had a traffic surge. The surge is significant enough that I'm actually having a better January than last year, despite slightly lower CPMs.

It's all very bizarre. I'm inclined to think that we have never attended to the real issues too because we don't know what's wrong.

There was that period (early last year was it?) when there were lots of huge surges. I don't know whether HP was helping our articles to get onto MSN etc. but it was certainly a thing for a time. Some of those surges were dramatic. Often it happened with new articles but not always.

HP have a tremendous amount of data available to analyze. They can also look at what's working and not working elsewhere. They can experiment. TAG have SEO-savvy folk like Paul Edmondson.

The issue after the Panda update wasn't that they didn't understand the problem, they did, but that they wanted to hold onto their we-accept-anything business model. In the end, after the subdomains failed, there was no option but to radically alter the site and heavily restrict what they published.

If this decline continues, we may also see radical changes.

Ced, thank you for some positive vibes. I speculate other writers are still making revenues to keep them going and happy. We rarely hear from them for various reasons.

Writers' experiences will vary. I have multiple accounts and they don't all behave exactly the same. The same goes with particular niches, some are doing worse than others.

However, when one looks at the stats for the niche domains at places like SEMRush, there's no doubt that HP is doing terribly overall.

2. CYong74 profile image96

I hope traffic gets better for you and everyone else, Kenna. (Though it does look very grim) Or at the very least, it doesn't slip further.

Thanks, Ced. It's an interesting time for HP. I hope it weathers the storm.

2. OldRoses profile image94
        OldRosesposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I'm not updating my hubs this year.  I just don't have the time or the energy.

4. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 3 months ago

Updating is difficult when dealing with historical articles such as Henry VIII's Gigantic Appetite. Unsurprisingly, little new information comes in each year on such topics. What to do? Change a "that" to a "which" so as to get a new publishing date? I think Google is wise to that strategy.

As with most others, my earnings hit the skids following the holiday season. Views have remained stable - ish, but the money is pitiful. I suppose nobody is advertising Christmas must-have trinkets.

5. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 3 months ago

I didn't update last year. It seems pointless and there isn't anything extra that can be added to most of my articles without making them overly fussy. Also they're already very long, most of them, and I think Google penalizes long articles and favours short crap. (I'm blue in the face telling DOS about that.)

1. Misty May profile image83
      Misty Mayposted 2 months agoin reply to this

The word count thing drives me crazy for that reason, which is why I only posted one recipe post on here. No one wants a long story on a recipe article, I at least put mine at the bottom of the recipe because I hate to read a essay when I just want to make dinner.

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 months ago

I spent a long time getting all the photos to match the latest advice. Also, Amazon hubs are maintenance intensive and require regular work.

It is more difficult with evergreen info hubs.

One common edit that I used to do was to widen the keyword net for successful hubs, try to rank for related keywords and not just the primary. The problem with that is that I no longer really have successful hubs, as most of them have dropped in the rankings.

One can attempt to improve or revive poor performers but it can feel a little futile. I've had quite a few articles worked on by the editors and it doesn't seem to have made a great deal of difference so far. If they can't work some magic, I'm not sure I can.

There's a psychological side too, though. I think most writers prefer creating new material. I certainly find it more fun. I think most people find editing and updating relatively dreary. I do it but it's a chore.

7. Janda Raker profile image90
    Janda Rakerposted 3 months ago

I used to write for another site that paid WAY better, but it closed down. And sadly the low pay on this one doesn't inspire me to produce as much as the previous one! I need some encouragement! (But as we writers know, it IS about sharing the stories, so there IS that!)

Janda, that's true! I make money off my other site and from clients. I am hoping HP stops swooping and jerking.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 2 months ago

I like hubpages overall, but it pays (literally) to always keep an eye out for other options.  I recently got my Facebook page accepted to the performance bonus program and make much more over there now. But I am sure that will also only pay well for some period of time, and then it will be something else.  Hubpages was a good run - paid well for years - but it doesn't really seem worth it for me anymore.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I never heard of this before. Can you post a link to your Facebook page?  Are you doing videos or text?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 2 months agoin reply to this

If you have a Facebook page you can set it to professional, then apply for the performance bonus program.  They are looking for people who post original content on a regular basis.  In my case cartoons.

1. Solaras profile image95
          Solarasposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Very cool - If you send me a link, I will visit, follow, share your cartoons.  Dog related ones go over well with my 3500 friends lol.

Edit: Do you ask for stars? Is that the only way to earn?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)