6 Instances of the Same Ad

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 21 months ago

Is there logic behind this?

https://hubstatic.com/16073645.png

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Madness? Repeat Ad Syndrome? More madness? Repetitive Repetitive Ad Nausea?

In desperation I sent an email to TAG outlining the definite possibility of their company losing money via HP because of poor ad management and interrupted text leading to lack of readership etc etc etc etc etc etc etc....

The rapid increase in editing is great - on Owlcation and other niche sites - and I can only hope it's quickly followed by the rapid response ad placement review team?

1. Madeleine Clays profile image96
        Madeleine Claysposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I feel the same way about the recent increase in editing. It's wonderful and I'm grateful to the editors. But, like you, I can't understand why they would use an ad layout that is so distracting to the reader. People are already stressed across the globe. They don't need more stress when they're just trying to read an article online, and if it becomes a stressful experience for them, they'll simply stop reading. This actually happened to me recently when I was reading an article by a fellow HP writer. I got sick of the random ads constantly interrupting the flow of the content, so I just dropped the article. I was interested in what I was trying to read about, but the ads were just too annoying.

2. snakeslane profile image80
        snakeslaneposted 21 months agoin reply to this

All of the above. Yes, please review the intrusive ad placement.
        What about a reader survey? Did you find ads intrusive?
        Give the reader a chance to enjoy the article.
        Please. Pretty please.

2. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 21 months agoin reply to this

As a reader, it’s really off-putting. And I’ve stopped writing here, not wanting to put my (few) readers through it. A lose, lose situation, as far as I can see.

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 21 months agoin reply to this

You might want to check this out. https://dogdiscoveries.com/about-us I noticed repetetive ads that broke up the bullet lists in the main body of the articles. Sound familiar?
      I just found this by accident when I was browsing, and am not sure if TAG also owns a site just like it for Dengarden, Owlcation, etc.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I wonder what the arrangement is on that site as regards writers and how they earn? Do they just get freelancers to write articles for them and pay them outright? This is how the Hubpages sites could end up so they don't have to share revenue.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96

I am not sure how they are paying the writers on that site, but if it is a few hundred dollars, like most magazine sites, it is going to be a lot better deal for them and would seem to spell the doom of HP.

2. Solaras profile image96
          Solarasposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Exactly.  You will notice there are only 4 writers who have written the majority of the content there.  Are the editors cleaning up articles on owlcation and other sites, while also tagging them as subjects to be rewritten at a future date.  Who knows.

4. SerenityHalo profile image95
      SerenityHaloposted 21 months agoin reply to this

There is an old tactic that if someone saw the same ad as opposed to new ones they would be more likely to remember the one that was repetitive. This was a tactic for Hulu; the same ad played per show if you paid for the cheaper subscription. On an article, a repeated ad looks like an error or, worse, completely insane. Worse because it puts the authority of the article in question.

I’m not a fan of repeated ads for any format.

2. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 21 months ago

Anyway I don't think I need my LOLs boosted (or even my ELOs)

3. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 21 months ago

That makes me wonder how many other sites TAG have under their banner that are similar to HubPages networks sites but for specific subjects rather than very general, like Feltmagnet for instance.

I still don’t understand the thinking of repeating the same ad five or six times throughout an article though. If a reader doesn’t click on it the first time it appears it means they aren’t interested, and seeing it repeatedly will just turn them away.

4. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 21 months ago

It makes sense that they would break out some of the most popular subjects for their own sites. I see at least one HP writer has been given the opportunity to participate. Good for her, but it seems like we have a few others who could have been involved. There are enough qualified experts here that they should never go to writers on the outside.

I also noticed this site isn't burdened by that video at the top of every article. We were told it isn't possible to get rid of it with the current template. Interesting.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96

Yes, I noticed that there was no video, which as far as I know the writers get nothing out of.
      I still feel we are the subjects of a massive experiment:
      "Will Google downgrade our HP niche sites because of the video? If not, can we put them on other TAG sites? Dont hold your breath but results will be out soon!!!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)